Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

White seed pods

Status
Not open for further replies.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I was stripping leaf off my Cattertons and found this. I don't know if it's rare, but I found it interesting.

View attachment 1766
Interesting. Were there only those or were there many? I assume many were green or brown. Any other colors? Any possibility they are simply immature?

By the way your pics are great. I wish I could do as well.

John

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
immature dont even look like that. the whole stalk is white, like a nutrient def? i dunno it's pretty tho. i would grow some of those seeds next year just to see what happens.

leverhead

Interesting. Were there only those or were there many? I assume many were green or brown. Any other colors? Any possibility they are simply immature?

By the way your pics are great. I wish I could do as well.

John

Usually the pictures off that camera are crap! If I overdo the light they come out well. It was only that plant, I wished I had seen the flowers. It happened in the garage, where they were hanging, the only plant to do it.

leverhead

immature dont even look like that. the whole stalk is white, like a nutrient def? i dunno it's pretty tho. i would grow some of those seeds next year just to see what happens.

Just the tip is white, you can see the green closer to the cut. Catterton grew well for me this year, I'll try these in January.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Usually the pictures off that camera are crap! If I overdo the light they come out well. It was only that plant, I wished I had seen the flowers. It happened in the garage, where they were hanging, the only plant to do it.
Please be sure to dry those pods. If they produce seed I'd like a half a dozen.

John

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
They were blanched...same way you make white asparagus, celery and cauliflower. My guess is they were surrounded by a mass of other seed pods enclosed in a bag. No sunlight equals no chlorophyll.

It would be interesting to compare those seeds to the seeds grown with proper sunlight...if it even makes a difference.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
They were blanched...same way you make white asparagus, celery and cauliflower. My guess is they were surrounded by a mass of other seed pods enclosed in a bag. No sunlight equals no chlorophyll.

It would be interesting to compare those seeds to the seeds grown with proper sunlight...if it even makes a difference.
Thanks Bob, Makes sense.

J

leverhead

They were stalk cut and hung up side down and covered by the leaves.

leverhead

Any way, I thought it was cool enough to take a picture of. The pods are of normal size, if they will germinate, I'll know soon enough to be early for just about everybody else. I hope I didn't ruin them by cutting them off the stalk.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That's mighty white. It would require absolute darkness to achieve. Don may be correct, but my first thought was that it represented a genetic sport (a freak genetic accident in a growth tip). I would definitely save the seed. If it reproduces totally white plants, then they will not be viable (unless you want to bottle feed them).

Bob

Steve2md

but could you imagine white leaves that cured white? regardless of the flavor, it would certainly bee a cool novelty to add to pipes, or wrap cigars in.

wazzappenning

so white burley is real. i had bought some at a local tobacco shop at an unbelievably expensive price. then i joined here and never heard of it again. i figured i was some processing that made it/named it white.

Status
Not open for further replies.