Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Monte Calme Yellow

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I bought this seed several years ago (not sure where...I hear that's the second thing that goes with old age...I don't remember the first). The plants are huge and have an identical appearance to TN 90. I grew both the same year and there was no difference in the plants.

The lugs and middle leaves make good cigarette tobacco and the reds make good cigar filler, but I believe MCY and TN 90 are the same plant. Buy TN 90 seeds and you'll be sure to be getting the right seed.

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I did some hunting. Actually, I did a lot of hunting on "Monte Calme Yellow." I found nothing authoritative regarding its origin. There is a lot of regurgitated copy and paste commentary in numerous sites that suggest that Monte Calme Yellow is a Swiss or European hybrid of burley.

(Of course, in the novel, Last of the Mohicans, Monte Calme is the French general who encouraged, or at least allowed, the Hurons to massacre the British troops after they had surrendered. General Monte Calme, as well as that incident, are historically accurate. So "yellow" and "Monte Calme" are a fitting remembrance of that shamed French nobleman.)

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
whats the difference between monte calme yellow and monte calme brun

100_1563.jpgIve got 400 plants of monte calme, but dont know the difference from the monte calme yellow or monte calme brun. any one have any pictures posted of either type so I can identify mine. the original seeds came from coffin nails.com and harvested seeds from one plant last year. will post pic. of mine soon.

Attachments

• 100_1562.jpg
    100_1562.jpg
    99.6 KB · Views: 74
Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The only thing that I have been able to determine from some sites that are not particularly authoritative is that Monte Calme Yellow is a Swiss hybrid of burley, and Monte Calme Brun is a Swiss hybrid of Havana. I don't grow either, and have no photos of them.

Bob

Note: Unless you carefully bagged the buds of the plant from which you harvested seed last year, then you may have a random cross of the two varieties.

Last edited:

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Don44264
Not the greatest picture, but this is some MCY I grew a few years ago.

monte9-10-crop-1.jpg

Here's a much better picture of early growth MCY

montecalmeyellow.jpg
pencil.png

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I noticed that in BarG's images, the blossoms appear to be white, as does the one blossom visible in the upper left of FmGrowIt's first image. Are they really white?

Bob

BarG

Founding Member
The pictures are of the same plant, im not sure why the pics look so different. The flowers are are white with alot of pink around inside edges when they first appear. I only let one plant flower last year so there should not have been any crossbreeding. Im in central texas and weve had a severe drought this year. The plants seem short but im getting alot of realy big leaves on the plants that are doing well. Im still fairly new at growing tobacco.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Flower color is known to vary in different research data. Try to compare the leaves for the best guess. More obvious signs of any differences should appear as the plants matures.

Daniel

Banned
I just harvest the last of my MCY. FM had suggested it as one of several for me to try my first year at growing tobacco for cigarettes. Keep in mind I am also growing it in 5 gallon buckets giving it about 1 square foot of growing space. I have 132 plants total, not all MCY in a space of about 220 square feet. and yes it does grow that way. The MCY did fairly well although not the best producer for this year. It is the fastest starting and the fastest maturing, but in the end the slower steadier growth of Yellow Twist Bud is going to put it to shame for overall production. 17 weeks from seed to harvest. I still have several plants that are 4 weeks behind that and they are developing extremely different than those first plants did. Environmental factors change how tobacco grows quite a bit. So MCY is not at all a right off and future years may show it to be the best performer. it will grow in a 5 gallon bucket although expect extremely stunted plants. and it can tolerate the lack of space. very easy to color cure I have yet to get any fermented or to try smoking any of it. I would also recommend it along with Yellow Twist Bud for first time growers. It tolerates a lot of abuse from beginner mistakes and will still produce. Just remember that like a lot of tobacco varieties. When MCY is not happy about it's conditions. It protests by just setting there and not growing. if you are not paying careful attention this can go on for days. When it is happy it will push you out of the garden to grow faster. Fun stuff, tobacco is an amazing plant if you are paying attention it will surprise you in how well it can adapt.

BarG

Founding Member
I had a couple dozen monte calme planted by my porch where they get mostly filterd sun through the trees. They got alot of water and didn,t have to suffer the drought like my field plants which were all short but with some nice thick big leaves. Only one plant flowered and made it to about 4.5 ft. tall. the rest had to be transplanted a couple times due to armadillos and still have'nt produced a top. My field grown is almost all color cured. One thing good is the shade grown produced a very thin leaf which has turned out to make a decent cigar wrapper. there is a huge difference in thickness and color of the field grown and partial sun grown leaves after curing. I can spot them as i sort through leaves to tie into hands for further aging. I,m keeping the partial sun plant seeds separate from full sun seeds of which I only let 4 flower. By the way, the first plant I put in the ground was the 4.5 ft. plant that I removed the seed top yesterday. All my field grown have been harvested for several weeks {3 or 4 need to keep better records next year on planting and harvesting}.

Last edited:
Old tread, but maybe to clear up some things.
As far as I can see, there are two, three possibilities.
As far as my knowledge is reaching, I think that's not a Yellow
But the Havana mix.
Option two: I don't have the Yellow but the Havana mix.
Or I have way something else.
My leaves are more ?slender?, not so wide.
The plant grows an average of 5 foot 9 almost 6, incl flowerhead
This is the third year we grow this plant, yes I am a second year grower.
The first year I don't count, I really had no clue what to do with it.
Hope this helps after so many years,
Best regardsmcy.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.