Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New addition to the whole leaf shop

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
One of the advantages of being a supplier of small quantities is having a use for small lots. Such an opportunity presented itself so I grabbed it.

The newest member to the line-up is Sanchez Oscuro. This is from the 1995 crop year. It's very smooth as you might imagine having been aged for 17 years. The flavor is earthy with a slight pepper aroma in the thick smoke. The aftertaste has a pleasant nutty taste.

This will be listed on the whole leaf site for $17.99 lb, but you can get it for $14.99 by using the discount code "Oscuro"

Attachments

• Oscuro.jpg
    Oscuro.jpg
    248.7 KB · Views: 78

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Don,
That looks like an interesting blender. Do you have any info on the origin, etc. I don't recognize Sanchez as a varietal.

Bob

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i swear you cigar makers,

to me seem.;

to have a vast variety of baccy to blend your stick's with.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Sanchez is the name of the grower. This is from an Ecuadorean grower who bought a smaller farm after the owner passed away. Th Oscuro was grown before the new company bought the farm. I'll try to find out what the variety is, but it might be lost to history. The company I'm working with on this is one of the highest quality cigar leaf producers in the world. There Ligero is sold out 2 years in advance and can only be purchased in 40 foot containers. Since their clientele is large manufacturers, this relatively small lot of Oscuro has never generated any interest. There simply isn't enough of it to do any type of production cigar.

The leaf is a little fragile as you might imagine, but I'm working with it to bring it into better order.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
17 year old tobacco? I'd be an idiot not to try this, ordering once I'm not on my phone, save some for me man! :)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Ah! Ecuador. This is destined to be one of those ephemeral glimpses of heaven--available only long enough to discover that you wish it were still available. As "oscuro," you can assume it is ligero. So I would expect it to make a spectacular flavoring component in small quantities. If I were flush in cash, I would buy it all and mention it to no one.

Unknown leaf is always a gamble, but in the world of tobacco blending, some of the most unusual ingredients can transform a good blend into a spectacular and memorable blend. (I have found that to be the case with Rabo de Gallo Negro, Perique processed leaf, a variety of potent Nicaraguan ligeros, Hungarian Colón, and India Dark Air.)

Bob

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
then i'm glad you're not flush with cash! hah, i just put an order in, cant wait to try it!! can you throw in some silver river and xanthi yaka seed too please FM? gonna grow those next time :)

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
John, Yes, I'll send you and Bob a sample.

I'm working on getting a couple other grades from this same grower...Viso and Seco. This grower primes five times per plant...Volado , Seco, Viso, Ligero and Corona. They don't produce Oscuro which might be a reason they still have this from the farm they bought.

There's no need to rush into buying this since there are about 10 bales available. Each bale weighs about 130 lbs., so if I can make a deal on all of it, I should have it for a while. I suppose the only risk would be my commercial accounts buying large amounts, but I'd have to limit this buying so I can have a supply available for the hobbyists.

The Viso and Seco are both very nice looking and smell beautiful. The problem with these is the initial costs and minimum purchase requirements, so I'm trying to get some commercial sales in advance of buying.

These are both from Cuban seed and are named Habano Seco and Habano Viso

This grower also offers Connecticut cloud grown wrapper, but the price will keep me out of that game.

Attachments

• Habano Seco.jpg
    Habano Seco.jpg
    235.1 KB · Views: 37
  • Habano Viso.jpg
    Habano Viso.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 37

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
then i'm glad you're not flush with cash! hah, i just put an order in, cant wait to try it!! can you throw in some silver river and xanthi yaka seed too please FM? gonna grow those next time :)

No problem, I'll throw in a small sample of the cloud grown wrapper and a little Viso and Seco too...enough for a couple cigars anyway.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
SmokesAhoy, Do you have any CT shade? If not PM me with your address and I'll send you a little of the kilned 2011 to compare with the cloud grown.

John

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
thanks but i grew it last year john :)

it was my tallest plant, but nothing compared to your giant beanstalks hehe

johnlee1933

Founding Member
thanks but i grew it last year john :)

it was my tallest plant, but nothing compared to your giant beanstalks hehe
If you know my last name you'll understand why I don't use the nick name "Jack". But if I did that would make it "Jack and the Beanstalk." No? ;)

John

DonH

If you know my last name you'll understand why I don't use the nick name "Jack". But if I did that would make it "Jack and the Beanstalk." No? ;)

John

Hmm, does that mean we have the same last name? I couldn't name any of my boys Mike.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
It's starting to look a lot like Christmas.

Bob

My other order from a different Ecuadorean grower is supposed to be here this week. It's been a real struggle getting the deal to work, but I think we finally worked out the details.

This is what I'm supposed to be getting in...

wrapper
Connecticut
Havana 2000

Filler
Pinar del Rio
Pelo de Oro
Havano seco

We'll see what happens. His prices for the wrapper are about 2/3 the price of what I have to pay anywhere else. I'm hoping to be able to offer it at about $30 instead of buying it for $30 lb.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Bad news...

I always break down the bails into 50 -70 lb. portions and put it in big vapor-proof bags. Just as a precaution, I put a pheromone trap in the bag and seal the bag.

Here's what I got in 2 days of breaking down the bail...

These are Flea Beetles and some other weird critter I've never seen before...they look like ants with wings, but they jump. The entire interior of the bale was infested. These are the last things you want living in your cigars.

The bale is being returned or destroyed. Crappy pictures, sorry

Attachments

• Flea Beetles.jpg
    Flea Beetles.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 47
  • flea beetles 2.jpg
    flea beetles 2.jpg
    247.9 KB · Views: 46
Status
Not open for further replies.