Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

is your '' BACCY PATCH'' going to be bigger next year,???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
this is my 3'rd year of growing,

and ive got bigger with each year.

my first year was not small. but not too big either,

my 2'nd year i added another plot area to my grow,

/////////////////////////////

with my new job, in the fertilizer business,

and the fact i have acess. to a big '' MASSEY FERGUSON'' tractor and a huge harrow, and disc, for the plowing,,

im thinking of extending my kilning abilities, to 4 times what im doing right now,

..and as far as ground area for the crop.

it may be one stretch that is 300+ feet long x 30+ ft. wide,

and a side plot, ''[ shaped like a '' J '' ] that will be p[erhaps 250+ ft' long x 50+ ft. wide,

NEXT YEAR IM GOING BIG,

WITH PERHAPS. 5 MAJOR STRAINS///////

and some experminting,,,,,,with other strains,

>>>>>> ARE YOU GOING '' BIGGER'' NEXT YEAR''<<<<<<<<<<

????????:confused:

johnlee1933

Founding Member
What the heck are you gonna do with all that baccy? You think you'll have the time to work it all?

As for me I believe I'll stay the same or maybe cut back a little.

John

leverhead

It's looking like I'll have to. Depending on the weather next year, I want to do two crops. If I grow 200 Virginias to flue-cure, it's going to take up all my space. I need wider rows! That would give me a two year supply, I'd like to get ahead. If I do that early and follow it with Turkish, they really seemed to like the summer here and I really like them. The special projects, I'm still trying to figure out how much space I can get for them.

Boboro

Im addi'n some ground but I mite have to rotate some out. But the same number of plants. But I plan to get 3 grows from 1 plant.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
What the heck are you gonna do with all that baccy? You think you'll have the time to work it all?

As for me I believe I'll stay the same or maybe cut back a little.

John

i'd like to try and sell a lot of it '' locally''

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Hell ya! Gonna do 3x more next year, I'm starting to get the short list shorter then will start early acquiring the seeds for what I don't have yet. Next year I want to grow at least 20 lbs

Boboro

I've been grow'in for 3 years and I still don't grow enuff that I dont' have to buy some and now my wife is smok'in to. So I'll be grow'in the hell out of bacca next year.

Randy

If growing just for cig smokes;about how much should you grow..lets say per lb of smokeable tobacco?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Deluxe broke it down, averages per plant, check the FAQ

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
If growing just for cig smokes;about how much should you grow..lets say per lb of smokeable tobacco?

i'd say 100- 150 plants may do 1 individual for a year,

and the number may sound large, but actually 100 plants doint take up that much room<

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
And in case anyone thinks that's too much, learn from my mistake of not growing enough. Last year was around 50, this year closer to 20 and I'm kicking myself in the ass as the season closes and I'm almost totally hung and realizing its a pathetically small amount. For something that gets better as it ages its a mistake not to go all out. Grow twice what you think you'll need, that might be more accurate.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^^

true spoken words,

make your kiln bigger than you think you need it,

and grow more baccy than you'll think you'll need,

jeapadrenaline

Well,i had planned for 150-200 plants this year, ended up wth around 300.
Next season i plan on going taller lol. My crop is pathetic. Bad soil i think, plus crappy weather. tallest plant is only 5 feet with flower.
But seriously, i may go around 400-450 plants but most likely less varieties. Was 10 this year and i am permanently comfused.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah that was me last year, I have no idea now what I'm smoking with a few exceptions, I just take it for what it is and enjoy. Wish I'd kept better track of what was what though. That's why I just did one this year, hard to get confused that way. Next year will be 4 maybe 5 but I will only do small plots for 2 or 3 types, and the main plot will just have 2 that look nothing alike.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Next year, I'll be growing slightly more plants (~180), but half the number of varieties (only 19).

Something to keep in mind is crop rotation. Most folks can get away with growing tobacco in the same dirt for 3 years, but notice a progressive decline in productivity, even with fertilizer use (probably the result of a decline in micro-nutrients that are not measured by standard soil tests). Another important factor is tobacco pest burden in the soil--fungi, viruses, bacteria, insects, nematode worms. Ideally, for minimizing the pest burden, a specific plot is planted in tobacco for one year (or maybe two), then planted in something unrelated, or left fallow for three years, before returning to tobacco. Avoiding tobacco for a single year makes a significant difference, if you can't manage a longer period. ["Something different" means just about anything other than members of Solanaciae--tobacco, tomato, pepper, eggplant, which may share the same pests.]

On the other hand, the growers in some areas (e.g. Lancaster, PA) have grown tobacco year after year in the same ground successfully, over a span of many decades. This requires careful soil management, aggressive pest management, and attention to disease-resistant tobacco varieties. Many southern commercial growers rotate away from tobacco for three years out of every four--that is, they grow tobacco in a particular plot for 1 year out of every 4.

My practice is to plant tobacco in a particular plot for two consecutive years, then plant it in a legume (beans, limas, etc.) for a year. Then back to tobacco. Grasses, grains and clover are reported to be a better choice for the fallow years. I would opt for a longer fallow period if more space were available. If problems with my short fallow period show up, I would likely have to reduce the quantity of tobacco grown, in order to increase the fallow period to two years.

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'm definitely downsizing for next year. I only need 12-18 plants for my wife ( 4 ciggies a day), about 6-12 plants for my pipe and 10-20 for cigars. So looks like next year will be about 60 plants plus half a dozen shade grown. So far I'm still planning to add ONLY ONE NEW VARIETY for next year... Mopan Mayan. Should be a nice, relaxing grow season for me.

Randy B

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I'm definitely downsizing for next year. I only need 12-18 plants for my wife ( 4 ciggies a day), about 6-12 plants for my pipe and 10-20 for cigars. So looks like next year will be about 60 plants plus half a dozen shade grown. So far I'm still planning to add ONLY ONE NEW VARIETY for next year... Mopan Mayan. Should be a nice, relaxing grow season for me.

Randy B
Yeah Right ! I've got a long memory Dude.

John

andrewislord

I'm planning on growing more. I only grew six. Five in the ground and one in a bucket. I want to do like 50 in buckets, but as the plant gets bigger I have to water it like every other day. This may not work since I have to leave the water sitting for days to dechlorinate. And it turns out 5 in my small plot is too much. I may try growing something thinner in there. I was also thinking about growing something shade since I have a few spots I can put a plant that have constant shade. But I haven't even tried shade leaf, so maybe not.

Also I think I can get two crops in one summer. If I plant in March or something. I didn't end up planting until June this year, and my plants just got flowers 2 days ago.

I was thinking of filling my plot with cat nip over the winter. It doesn't require much when it grows, and I'll get more use out of a plot I put way too much time into for 5 plants.

I was also thinking about trying to grow tobacco over the winter, in a pot or something so I can move it around to follow the sun. I have to do this anyway in my backyard. But winter is busy for me as it is, so I doubt it.

All you guys talking about hundreds of plants makes me jealous.

DonH

I'm planning on going bigger next year. This year I grew 50 plants. I'd like to have at least 75 next year. Although thinking about it now when I'm just finishing harvesting and hanging that will mean 50% more work and hanging space. I don't know how you guys who grow several hundred do it.

Boboro

I dont' know bout no body else but its my exercise program. I cant' imagine come'in home sit'in down and wach'in pawn stars to my head ex ploudes

Status
Not open for further replies.