Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hershey's syrup recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Hand shred the tobacco and spread it out on a cookie sheet (about 10 leaves de-ribbed), spray it with 1/2 oz. sugar water and 1t. cocoa powder or Hershey's syrup (1T. to 1oz water). Roast in preheated 250° F for 10 minutes or until the tobacco is crumble dry. Remove the sheet and immediately spray the hot dry tobacco with half again as much of your mix above. Turn the tobacco with a spatula and spray again. Put it in a zip lock bag, then microwave for 5 seconds. Shake the bag lightly to mix, microwave another 5 seconds and shake again. Open the bag and spread out on cookie sheet to cool completely (5 mins).

If the tobacco is too wet, put it on a paper plate or something microwavable and zap it for 5 second. Stir a little, let it cool and check it for moisture. Repeat if necessary.

This will give you a very nice mellow smoke that will tone down some harshness in strong tobacco.

I'm going to attempt this with whole leaf. If it works, it will be the only finished "raw" tobacco available.

Last edited:

catmando

How did the finished product taste? was there any hint of the chocolate?
thanks
catmando

BigBonner

Founding Member
I will add to Fmgrowit a little from my trials and errors .

I seem to get my tobacco too wet and sticky with the spray .I also add some white sugar , brown sugar ,cane molasses .

Smoke it right after you make it , it may disapoint you a little . But let it set for about four or five days on a tray in open air , the tobacco will change and be better , smoother and the flavor will change .

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
There really isn't a chocolate flavor. The chocolate smooths out any harshness in the tobacco. If you follow the directions I wrote, even unblended tobacco comes out pretty good. i experimented (a lot) with the recipe and trust me on this....more is NOT better. Too much chocolate will make the tobacco unsmokable.

Toast the tobacco after you spray it with sauce until you smell the chemical change (you WILL smell it). Don't over toast it either, that's almost as bad as too much chocolate.

After you take it out of the oven, spray it again with the sauce while it is still hot. Let it sit for a few minutes, then put it in a plastic bag and let it sit for a day. It will seem wet, but under the wet, the baccy is bone dry. Don't rush it for best results. If you have to smoke it immediately, put about one pack of cigarette's worth of the tobacco on a paper plate and then in a microwave for 5 seconds, take it out, let it cool, check it for moisture. Repeat as many times as you want, but it still won't be as good as if you wait a day.

leverhead

View attachment 391View attachment 392

I don't want to step on anybody's toes, I think it would depend on the "sauce". Food for thought. I've tried toasting after spraying, my next experiment will be toasting before spaying with a sample toasted a second time. I'll keep you updated.

Update:

I used a digital thermometer ($30 at bed bath & beyond) that is a probe on a cord that's good to almost 400F. I set it at the back of a rack in the middle of the oven and put the other rack at the bottom of the oven with a baking tile on it to shield the heating element. Preheated the oven to 300F, set out some plain Burly on a cooling rack and placed it on the middle rack in the oven. Set the timer for 15 min. and baby sat it by opening the oven door for a few seconds at a time to keep it at 300F +/- 5. After 15 min. I sprayed it both sides with a plain honey based sauce repeated the baking at 300F for 15 min. It came out fair, still a little stout all by itself.

the second sample used the same setup with the first bake at 350F +/- 5 for 15 min. Sprayed both sides with the same sauce and baked again at 300F +/- 5 for another 15 min. It was FINE all by itself.

The next time, I'll try taking a sample to 375F and maybe 400F and repeat the above with Cocoa in the sauce. I also want to try reserving half the samples to allow the sauce to air dry. It'll be a while before I get enough time to do all that. I think toasting before saucing works well enough to follow it some more.

Last edited:

wazzappenning

that microwaving might be a bad idea, probably better to let it sit for a day. some kids were stopping the fsc from doing its job by nuking it in the microwave. the consensus seemed to be "but i wouldnt smoke it". even food im hearing now is not good to put in there. apparently it leaves it a little radioactive and makes it absorb ambient radioactivity.

on that subject i had a brain fart. i wonder if eating nuked food would have it absorb radioactivity from your body, effectively making it good to eat it??? ill have to send this one off to someone at a university.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah that is an old wives take. The wavelength produced just makes the electrons dance around, if anything it is just glorified friction.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
FYI This is copied from "Windows to the Universe" The frequencies used in microwave ovens are much longer and leave no residual effect except heat.

ATTACHMENT -- [h=1]""""-ray Radiation[/h]X-rays are a high-energy type of electromagnetic (EM) radiation. X-ray radiation has a much shorter wavelength than visible light, so X-ray photons have much higher energies than photons of light.
X-rays lie between ultraviolet "light" and gamma rays on the electromagnetic spectrum. X-rays have wavelengths between about 10 nanometers (10 x 10[SUP]-9[/SUP] meters) and 10 picometers (10 x 10[SUP]-12[/SUP] meters). X-ray radiation oscillates at rates between about 30 petahertz (PHz or 10[SUP]15[/SUP] hertz) and 30 exahertz (EHz or 10[SUP]18[/SUP] hertz).
X-rays are subdivided into hard X-rays and soft X-rays. The lower energy soft X-rays have longer wavelengths, while the higher energy hard X-rays have shorter wavelengths. The cutoff between the two types of X-rays is around a wavelength of 100 picometers or an energy level around 10 keV per photon. X-rays with energies between 10 keV and a few hundred keV are considered hard X-rays.
There is no sharp distinction between the highest energy X-rays and the lowest energy gamma rays. The distinction between X-rays and gamma rays is actually based on the origin of the radiation, not on the frequency or wavelength of the electromagnetic waves. Gamma rays are produced by nuclear transitions, while X-rays are the result of accelerating electrons.
X-rays have long been used to "see" through skin and muscle tissue to make medical "X-ray images" of bones when checking for fractures. X-rays that arrive at Earth from space are absorbed by our atmosphere before reaching the ground. """

wazzappenning

i still dont think its good for you, for example some of the sites discussing polonium in tobacco compared it to being forced to have way more x rays than is good for you. simple fact is im still waiting for the system that "cares" for us to say whoops, i guess microwaves are bad for you. at least they figured out its bad to nuke food in plastic containers.

grgfinney

I toasted the burley after i tied it in a tshirt and simmered it for an hr w/2tbsp of glycerin,brown sugar, syrup,and cocoa and added some bourbon for good measure then baked in a oven at 350 till about dry then let air dry then stuck it in ziploc for a few days it is very mellow now

SmokeStack

The main reason I want to toast Burley is to get rid of that "rawness" and "harshness" that results from nitrogen-containing chemicals found in Burley leaf. The high temperatures during the toasting process breakdown these nitrogen-containing chemicals. I don't want to add any sugars or flavorings. Has anyone tried to toast Burley by placing only shredded leaf in the oven?

Here is a quote from http://www.tobaccotech.com/projects/tobaccotech/products/catalog_cigarettes_ab_bc.php

"During this process thermally catalyzed reactions occur, generating various aroma chemicals which enhance the rich, dark and nutty character of burley tobacco while adding smooth rich flavor to the tobacco smoke."

Rayshields

QUOTE Has anyone tried to toast Burley by placing only shredded leaf in the oven?

I have tried this 3 times. The result that I liked best: put maybe 2 oz on a cookie sheet in oven for hour at 150Fremove from oven and raise temp to 350F, put back in oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and mist with water. I tried 5 1/2 minutes, but it tasted blah...maybe burnt. This will stink up your house.

DonH

QUOTE Has anyone tried to toast Burley by placing only shredded leaf in the oven?

I have tried this 3 times. The result that I liked best: put maybe 2 oz on a cookie sheet in oven for hour at 150Fremove from oven and raise temp to 350F, put back in oven for 5 minutes. Remove from oven and mist with water. I tried 5 1/2 minutes, but it tasted blah...maybe burnt. This will stink up your house.

I think 350 is too hot. Try the same technique at 250.

SmokeStack

I think 350 is too hot. Try the same technique at 250.

I will have to do some experimenting. I need to buy one of those electric thermometers that have a probe that goes in the oven - someone mentioned buying one for $30 at a place that sells kitchenware (maybe at a department store like Macy's, Target or something similar - I will have to google it).

leverhead

Look for the temperature range, some only go to about 200 degrees. If you can find a place that caters to BBQ'rs, there are some inexpensive ones that go to almost 400 degrees.

SmokeStack

Look for the temperature range, some only go to about 200 degrees. If you can find a place that caters to BBQ'rs, there are some inexpensive ones that go to almost 400 degrees.

Amazon has several digital oven thermometers and they are much less expensive than I thought.

DonH

I toasted my second batch last night. I changed the casing recipe a bit. Just some strong licorice root tea (about 8-10 oz) with a large teaspoon of honey. I used some unaged Burley I got (before I found Don's and Larry's Burley). I shredded the Burley with my recently arrived Powermatic (fun to use!!!) and tested a pure untoasted Burley cigarette as a "before." That cigarrette made me cough like mad. And I don't cough from smoking. The tobacco was nice, just un-aged. Then I put the shredded Burley on a plate, sprayed it well with the casing solution, put it in the oven at 250 degrees and waited until it was dry. I then flipped it over with a spatula, sprayed it again and put it in the oven until dry and toasted. I then took it out of the oven, sprayed it lightly one more time and put it in a large ziploc.

I waited an hour or so to test it (I know it gets better if you wait a few days) and the difference was amazing. Extremely smooth. So I made up a batch of cigarettes with 40% Flue Cured, 30% toasted Burley, 20% Turkish and 10% YTP. Awesome smoke!

Status
Not open for further replies.