Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Seed List

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsouth

Banned
There seems to be a bit of a resurgence in growing commercial tobacco in NC, but my understanding is that much of it is going to the Chinese cigarette market. Check with your county Extension agent. He should be able to tell you, or tell you who to speak with to find out, what strains are being grown, where to get the seed, and how to market it. Also, check you local agricultural publications and radio - a lot of those reporters are a wealth of info.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
If you search there is a thread asking people what types they would buy based on a list of many strains, people picked top 3 varieties.

Randy

Talk to Daniel, He went bust doing that. Homegrown means just that. I grew at home And wouldn't justify doing it any other way. The labor for a small plot is not a commercialy viable option for income.
Even if I sold all my tobacco ,I wouldn't have none.
I agree with you BarG,I was just for minute thinking of it,but your right if was that easy every one here would be rich lol,I think will stick to growing few good cigar tobaccos for myself and injoy smoking them. That would make me very happy.

Randy

BigBonner

Founding Member
There seems to be a bit of a resurgence in growing commercial tobacco in NC, but my understanding is that much of it is going to the Chinese cigarette market. Check with your county Extension agent. He should be able to tell you, or tell you who to speak with to find out, what strains are being grown, where to get the seed, and how to market it. Also, check you local agricultural publications and radio - a lot of those reporters are a wealth of info.

That is true about the China tobacco buyers wanting tobacco from the USA . I.T.T.G. & golden leaf tobacco sent me a post card wanting my tobacco this year . This is a China buyer with americans running the buying station .
Phillip Morris , the tobacco co-op , I.T.T.G. & golden leaf tobacco and RJ reynolds have all contacted me wanting all my tobacco that I have . Im sure they will take all the tobacco they can get at their cheap prices . All those companies get togather to make their prices the same . It has been done this way even during the auction sysytem .

Big tobacco companies are only interested in two types of tobacco from the USA . That is Flue cured and Burley for making cigarettes . There is Dark air / fire cured for making snuff , snuss ,and chew . This will probably have more demand in the future as companies are making more products from Dark air/ fire cured tobacco's . Maryland 609 Is another tobacco grown for cigar filler and cigarettes manufacture . I don't know if China purchases the Maryland or it is used mainly in the USA
There used to be some sun cured tobacco's in Virginia and Carolina's . I not sure if it still exist today .

A person who raised tobacco would have to live close to a tobacco buying station , have a contract for that variety of tobacco . Raising a acre of Kelly burley or penn red the companies will not buy the tobacco as they have no use or market for it . You will have to deliver the tobacco to a buying station and hope for a good price . A bad price and you will loose money on the tobacco .

Status
Not open for further replies.