Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What bug is this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewislord

I'm having a little bug trouble. I noticed this yesterday and it's gotten a little worse today. It's some black specs next to chewed up holes. The black specs look like feces or something.

DSCN4602.JPGDSCN4610.JPG

I topped it last week I think so I was afraid to put any pesticides on it. I'm thinking I'll just wipe the leaves off and spray some Azamax. It's organic and safe up to the day of harvest on food plants, but I still don't like to use it this close.

DonH

You should be alright since this isn't a food that's going to be consumed immediately. By the time your leaves are cured it should be fine.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i believe i'd use the spray,,,

the specks look like the reidue a SUCKFLY will leave on your leaves, it's called '' honey dew ''

as far as the holes, it could be anything doing that, until you find the culprit.

different area's have different bugs,

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
From the size and shape of the holes, if you don't find a tiny hornworm on the underside of the leaf, I would suspect crickets or grasshoppers (both of which leave feces that resemble tiny specks). Hornworm feces is usually much larger.

Bob

NOTE: I'm just guessing.

andrewislord

I don't have a lot of worms around here and have never seen them on tomatoes or anything. I started seeing a lot of crickets and grasshoppers in the past week or two.

I'll do some more inspecting. I don't think Azamax works on crickets or grasshoppers.

Thanks.

BarG

Founding Member
Don't spray insecticide for those few little holes, hornworms leave like a segmented feces and the larger the feces the larger the worm. You won't regret suffering a few holes in your leaves knowing you didn't spray anything to lessen the quality of your end product. Unless you research realy well what your spraying. Your the one smoking it.

Status
Not open for further replies.