Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Kilning in Crockpot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I've began kilning in the crock pot, I can't help but worry if it dries out too much that it'll "light the leaves on fire". As I have it now, I have the leaves layered in the crock pot, set on "low" and I mist it inside to keep the humidity at a good level. I have some "Seal-a-meal" bag that I could line the inside with (it's safe to boil the package, safe for food ect.) do you think that would help protect it from the heat, or do you guys think as long as it's humid enough it should be fine? Thanks

Michibacy

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I've began kilning in the crock pot, I can't help but worry if it dries out too much that it'll "light the leaves on fire". As I have it now, I have the leaves layered in the crock pot, set on "low" and I mist it inside to keep the humidity at a good level. I have some "Seal-a-meal" bag that I could line the inside with (it's safe to boil the package, safe for food ect.) do you think that would help protect it from the heat, or do you guys think as long as it's humid enough it should be fine? Thanks

Michibacy
I think I would hesitate before heating my leaf in plastic.

J

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I'm getting the crock pot regulate the temp, it's usually between 120-135*f. I'm going to attempt the mason jar technique ,

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Several years ago, we were experimenting with fermenting in black plastic trash bags. The leaf would be brought into high case, stuffed in the bags, sealed and put in direct sunlight...I think it was a offshoot of Lonnie's dashboard fermenting process. What I noticed though was even though the bag was well sealed, the moisture wasn't distributed evenly in the bag. The area exposed to the sunlight would always dry to brittle stage, while the bottom would be wet.

I think if you were to seal your bags and put them in the crock pot, I would be sure to rotate them frequently. Food safe bags should be tobacco safe, but it wouldn't hurt to try one and give it a good whiff and taste before doing the whole crop.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
yeah i tried the same thing FM, with the same results.

what i didnt try and was wondering about was plastic bag, tightly wrapped around high case leaf, wrapped in black towel. i was thinking of the towel as an insulater and heat regulator, while the plastic is tight and doesnt let water condensate off away from the leaf.

BarG

Founding Member
Several years ago, we were experimenting with fermenting in black plastic trash bags. The leaf would be brought into high case, stuffed in the bags, sealed and put in direct sunlight...I think it was a offshoot of Lonnie's dashboard fermenting process. What I noticed though was even though the bag was well sealed, the moisture wasn't distributed evenly in the bag. The area exposed to the sunlight would always dry to brittle stage, while the bottom would be wet.

I think if you were to seal your bags and put them in the crock pot, I would be sure to rotate them frequently. Food safe bags should be tobacco safe, but it wouldn't hurt to try one and give it a good whiff and taste before doing the whole crop.
Even if you sealed the bags and added water to distribute heat with the lid on wouldn't the water escape too frequently to monitor. Maybe a big old giant monster crockpot.

Status
Not open for further replies.