Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Rinsing leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewislord

I've been removing some of the low leaves that have either sat on the mud or just got dirty from water splashing or the gardeners and their blower. I've read that some people rinse their leaves before hanging them, so this is what I've been doing. Does this remove the nicotine or anything else?

I've only rinsed the little leaves and haven't harvested the important ones, so I've been screwing up it's no big deal.

leverhead

I got some heavy rains, like 15"+ inches, just before first harvest. It washed off most of the sap that was on the leaves. That made for some pretty bland tobacco. By the end of the season, it had been more normal weather and the leaves were sticky again. Much more flavor, but it was higher up the stalk and it's still early yet. As the leaves dry out, most of the crud will fall off. I wouldn't wash them unless it's really bad.

BarG

Founding Member
I just read a post where FmGrowit recommends a soft paint brush to brush junk off. That may work on some of the higher ones that just have dust and a little junk.

I used a very soft bristle 4 ' paint brush on several batchs of my first primings, I gave up due to the time consumption. It caused no damage to leaves ,however, the sand here still sticks even after brushing. I quit bothering and when they are cured and in high case I slap the top stems against my pants and then hold by the stems and shake real good. It's hard to get all the sand off period due to the stickiness of the leaves. It's always obvious when I destem which lugs were lowest because in a low-medium case it falls right off.

Status
Not open for further replies.