Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hello from the cold north, a Danish grower. Sorry not growing pastry....

Status
Not open for further replies.

wrigsted

Hi all, has lurked around the forum, per proxy, the past half year because I could not login with my IP (maybe because it was Danish?). But now when even us Scandinavians can join, I will seize the chance and become a members of this fine forum. I will also use this opportunity to say thanks for all the good info I have been reading in the background during the year, much of it high quality and not to be found elsewhere. This is the first year I have grown tobacco but certainly not the last, and one of the many delights I've discovered with tobacco cultivation is the online community of good growers.

darren1979

First Time Grower
Welcome wrigsted, I agree this forum is like the fount of all knowledge when it comes to tobacco.
How did your first season go that far north? What variety's did you grow?
And once again good to have you aboard.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Wrigsted, Welcome to FTT. Little by little we seem to be expanding all over the globe. Tell us a little about your growing conditions. What do you like to smoke? I believe you can learn and have a little fun here. Basically, if you don't know just ask.

Sorry your pastry crop failed. I like the varieties there almost as well as tobacco.
:D

John

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
for what purpose are you growing for,

cigar,cigg's,snuff,snuss,chewing baccy.

and welcome to the forum,

glad to hear you enjoyed it as a lurker.

wrigsted

Thank you all. This year, as I said, was a trial and mostly I cultivated was on the balcony and the window sill. My Samsun Oriental has been most suitable for this kind of growing, narrow tall plants with many small leaves. I have a strain called Adonis, it is a kind of Burley, I bought the seeds because it was grown in Latvia with success which is the same latitudes as me. And then a no name Rustica. A few of my remaining seedlings I put in the local parks, but the only thing that survived unattended was the Rustica. But they can grow anywhere, here is one I sat at a bus stop.

rus.jpg

Oh yes, I smoke hand-rolled cigarettes, I'm thinking of getting me a meerschaum pipe. But I I've worked a bit with meerschaum as a kid and I can see that most pipes are block meerschaum. Not exactly what I want, so I'm waiting for the right one to appear.

Aaron

That's great setting plants around the town. That gives me a couple ideas. Maybe you should consider changing your forum name to Johnny Tobaccoseed.

Attachments

• johnny-appleseed-art-2.jpg
    johnny-appleseed-art-2.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 12

darren1979

First Time Grower
Thank you all. This year, as I said, was a trial and mostly I cultivated was on the balcony and the window sill. My Samsun Oriental has been most suitable for this kind of growing, narrow tall plants with many small leaves. I have a strain called Adonis, it is a kind of Burley, I bought the seeds because it was grown in Latvia with success which is the same latitudes as me. And then a no name Rustica. A few of my remaining seedlings I put in the local parks, but the only thing that survived unattended was the Rustica. But they can grow anywhere, here is one I sat at a bus stop.

I grew samsun and adonis this year myself, both done well. The adonis topped out around 5ft with large slender dark green leaves, once dried they went a dark brown with a light reddish outer, i believe its a cross between two Havanas. And the samsun around 4 1/2ft with loads of small heart shaped leaves.

Thats a good idea planting them around town if you dont have much room, just be careful when picking the leaves the local dogs havnt taken a leak all over them :)

wrigsted

I actually thought that Johnny Appleseed was a myth or Disney character until I read one of Michael Pollan's books. I can say to my weak defense I'm not American.

The reason I began to grow tobacco this year were statements from our health minister to ban tobacco during the next decades. The tobacco I planted around town was not to smoke it but more to create some debate. It turned out the local authority already had grown a tobacco -Nicotiana langsdorffii - around the city. A beautiful plant, but not good to smoke. I got seeds if anybody want. I even got my x mother in-law persuaded to grow the plant because of its flowers. Not bad, huh ..

I wrote in some local forums about tobacco cultivation and now others consider growing. I have already sent the first seeds out, then we'll see how many will grow next year.
My Samsun did well, even in relatively small pots, around 4-5 ft.. The only thing that surprised me was the big difference in when they went into flower. Some flowered before my rustica, others have not flowered yet, it's over a month difference. Even in the same size pots.

@darren1979 I would love to know who Adonis and Samsun taste when they are grown out door, keep me posted!

Ltngstrike

Welcome Wrigsted. I'm new here also but know several of the members from my time on the "other" tobacco growing website. A great bunch of folks here that are very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.