Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Building a Tobacco Kiln

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I have a refrigerator kiln now, but I want to build a bigger one out of wood
One thats well insulated and with a door that seals good.
In the one I have now I use a light bulb for heat and a crock pot to keep the humidity right
both are controlled by a hot water tank thermostat.
But it just doesn't hold enough tobacco
So I have been looking around for some plans but can't seem to find any thing
to model what I want

Does any one here have any plans for one ?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
i believe the best built kiln is one built to suit your purposes,

and built from your imagination,

your kiln should be size of your upcoming crop,

BarG

Founding Member
Dkh2, Build a typical door jam and door and weather strip or buy an exteriorprefab unit . Customizing your door to prevent warping could possibly be accomplished by putting some shower or bath paneling attached to interior side with panel adhesive.
just a thought.

Jack in NB

Founding Member
My kiln has a sheet of 2" white styrofoam for a door. Held in place with a dozen screws, and 2 access doors- smaller one about a foot square midway for access to humidistat, thermostat, thermometer, and a larger one roughly 18 x 24 near the bottom to refill water. Used some 1/8 x 1" foam tape for a gasket.

The access doors were cut out of the main sheet with tapered or beveled cuts to seal, but later I laminated slightly larger sheets onto the outside, and brace them in place with a couple of boards.

Quick and dirty. Takes 5 minutes or so to unscrew the door, but I've had to do it only once while in operation in 5 operating cycles. DSCN7490.JPGDSCN7479.JPG

Randy

I have a suggestion on making a kiln out of washing machine..my mother-in-laws washer broke last nite and gone to buy new one..they ask me to get red of it today..since I need a kiln anyway was pondering of some how making kiln out of it any suggestions??

Randy

marksctm

Randy,
I thought of using one also, and covering sides, top, and bottom with 1 or 2 inch foam. Knock off control panel and fill in with sheet metal, and convert top into one big lid. Only problem is, when you open it, you would loose all your heat, and hard to fill crock pot with tobacco over head.
If you turn it on it's side, you loose height.

Randy

yea was thinking along those things also..but its better than have now "nothing" I will sit-aside and think some more on it dont want to throw it away just yet.the only thing Ive done so far was convert huge cooler into temp kiln so far..belive it so far is working ok but you have take zip-lock bags out every few days and rehydrate the leaves..but the temp holds at around 120-130F day and nite will keep working with that until build a real kiln soon..

Randy

marksctm

I'd hold on to it to, I'v looked all summer for any thing to make a kiln, fridg, freezer, washer, dryer, water heater for thermostat. Soon as I buy stuff and build one, I'll see something sitting out.
The tops of washers come right off, find one more washer and stack and screw them together.
I got a huge ass dog house that was left here that I thought of converting into a kiln.
kiln.jpg
The top of roof on dog house is to the top of the 6 foot fence behind it.

marksctm

From left to right, staggered, Burley 21 and something called Burley Huge Leaf, what ever that is. The mystery tobacco.

Randy

That kind-of reminds me of the tobacco I ever grew abt 3yrs ago I ordered "Little Yellow" from New Hope and tryed to grow abt 25 plants at the time had no-idea what I was doing..its funny how it turned out was it grew real nice and all but late in the year when it had all flowered and turned yellow I pulled the entire plants {rootball and dirt} and hug them in my garge for abt WEEK until they got crumbley leafs I had no idea abt curing/ferm all that stuff me and wife crumbled leaves and rolled little ciggrettes from that..all I can say is two days later when we finally came-off the nitcione buzz LOL..I threw the rest of the plants and all away..That was first attempt to grow tobacco..hopefully not the last LOL.

Randy

ps I still have some of that seed little yellow dark-air

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Haha I'm sure we all tried smoking green leaf before, harsh stuff. Growing really is the last of the concerns with tobacco though that's why it is SO nice being a member of this fine site.

Randy

Im lost here?? I though this site was abt growing?? im missing somthing here

Randy

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Not missing just over simplifying:) site is about tobacco, growing is just one facet of the tobacco hobby

What is harder? Growing your patch or what happens at harvest time? I dunno about you guys but my plants grow themselves. After harvest is when I need to do stuff, before harvest its 90% mother nature. You said it yourself, the growing was easy, you threw out the crop not because mother nature effed up, but because you did not have the knowledge of what to do with it afterwards.

Randy

Ahh ok got you just missed took what you saying my friend I totally agree with you..it was me who messed-up not knowing what was doing kinda like rolling the first cigar the other nite live-and-learn they say

Randy

Status
Not open for further replies.