Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How do you want the "How to Grow" forum divided?

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
There's obviously a lot of interest in the "how to grow" area and it's going to need to be organized pretty soon. Tell me what categories you want and I'll start moving things around.

Thanks for your help,
Don

Ashauler

Founding Member
How about something like:
Germination to Transplant
Growing (fertilization, suckering, topping, etc..)
Harvest

ETA: With all the knowledge here, I would think a fairly robust and detailed sticky could be developed for each topic.......kind of a generic road-map.

Last edited:

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes. And include:
  • soils and drainage
  • climate considerations, and where to find climate info
  • spacing experience with various soils and tobacco varieties
  • container growing
  • chemical discussions
  • "organic" approaches
  • scaffolds, sheds and barns
  • grading, labeling and hanging methods
  • pest identification and remedies

Bob

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
OK, this is a rough draft, please edit to what you think would be best.

Forum categories

Why are you growing your own tobacco?
Different reasons can lead to various answers and suggestions. For example, If you're growing to find a perfect cigar filler, the advice you get will differ from that of someone growing to find the easiest cigarette tobacco to grow.

What to grow
Growing certain types of tobacco could be useless. For example, growing Flue Cured varieties without a means of flue curing it might not be the best choice. Growing long season crops in northern latitudes might be counter productive.

Starting tobacco seeds.
Growing medium, soil temperature, sunlight vs. artificial light, timing.

Setting/Transplanting
Soil preparation, Container preparation

Growing
All stages of growth after final setting. Topping, bagging, priming, signs of being ripe.

Fertilizers

Diseases and pests

Harvesting Stalk curing or priming

Curing Structures

Curing
Air cure, Fire cure, Flue cure (I think the existing forum is good enough)

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Setting/Transplanting
Soil preparation, Container preparation

I believe that "Setting/Transplanting" is a valuable topic. The two sub-topics listed seem to be begging for their own, separate topic--Soils. This is a vast subject that historically consumed a lot of print, but is pretty much glossed over on most forums. For example, Killebrew's 1884 Report on Tobacco Production... (mandated by the US Census of 1880) and his 1898 Tobacco Leaf... each contain hundreds of pages dedicated to soils and their impact on the leaf produced in the various growing districts.

Perhaps a topic entitled "Soils and Climate" would encompass this, and a separate topic entitled "Container Growing" could provide the big box store solution.

Bob

cowboyjames74

Could also include the best fertilizers to use and best soils to use, etc.
Also what brands people use to grow seeds, and where to find them.

gdbrown

This looks good to me. I can see I'm going to have to do a little more studying to get up to speed with all of you!

Fisherman

In my haste to take advantage of the post's offer , I didn't see the disease section............ :(
Well, dang there is a load of info here and between learning/caring for/planning/building for this years crop................. I missed it.
This is lots of fun and the end result wil make smoking just a little bit more relaxing I am sure.

Fisherman

Mr FmGrowit....

I got one that is really under utilized and would be a great addition.....

Natural organic additives and methods...

I have seen all sorts of stuff on youtube and all that talk about like Korean gardening and Mycorrhizal fungi and lots of this stuff is really just concentrated compost but can be made at home and would really help us a lot i think.

Dam.... How that type got so big????

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Mr FmGrowit....

I got one that is really under utilized and would be a great addition.....

Natural organic additives and methods...

I have seen all sorts of stuff on youtube and all that talk about like Korean gardening and Mycorrhizal fungi and lots of this stuff is really just concentrated compost but can be made at home and would really help us a lot i think.

Dam.... How that type got so big????

You could start a soil and amendments thread in how to grow tobacco. If it goes crazy with responses, it could at the minimum be made a sticky and possibly even it's own sub-forum later as demand for info grows. You've already mentioned alot of stuff I've never heard of, get the ball rolling. I'm interested.

BarG

Founding Member
the ABCs for beginners

Not so, The threads start with the abc's and evolves into much more. There is a ton of good learning and experience based info there. Especialy for us newbies trying to learn. Tobacco ain't been a big industry in Texas except for the retailors of it.
I live in an area that is some prime climate and soil for tobacco, It just never was utilized.