Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Cover crops for tobacco garden

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
I'm looking for a good cover crop for all my planting areas this winter. I'm having a hard time finding a reasonable resource for red or white clover. All the local suppliers only sell in 50lb. bags which averages from $1.50-3.50 a lb. and only carry the white, but I only need about 5 -10 lbs. The per lb. prices I've looked at in a brief search were outrageos. Does any one know of a supplier with reasonable pricing for up to 10 lbs?

I want to plant a separate area also to raise for seed as I noticed that the seeds are harvested in late summer.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
amazon actually just sent me spam they thought id want, anyway it was for crimson clover, maybe check prices there

johnlee1933

Founding Member
amazon actually just sent me spam they thought id want, anyway it was for crimson clover, maybe check prices there
Tim, I just checked and Amazon has small lots of crimson, white and red. The red is the cheapest which leads me to ask if you could use it instead of crimson?

John

BarG

Founding Member
I'm Planning on using white clover in my center garden and let it seed over the summer, and red clover on my tobacco and other veg. garden.

I read that the red clover attracts aphids when it goes to seed. And the crimson is less suited to my climate I believe.

Edit;Indianjoes co-op Has a good deal on the red 5lbs for 9.99, sounds good for as much as I need.

Tom_in_TN

While each locale has different challenges, the Crimson Clover has the best and highest Nitrogen boost. While I do not remember your growing zone, BarG, it will grow CC just fine and provide a huge Nitrogen boost so long as it it sown and chopped down at the proper time. It will grow very quickly in a short period of time in cool, wet weather, then warm to hot weather to finish blooming. Chop it down when the blooms are nearly finished and till slightly into the soil. If aphids start to become a problem it will be during the mid-bloom stage. By chopping it down within 2 weeks of full bloom, with a lawn tractor/mower, you will effectively wipe out the aphids.

Boboro

I can get crimson clover at the farm supply. I have to put out lime and I use to use lime to kill the clover in my yard. Can I grow cremson clover if I put out lime this year.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
ive allways wondered, why a individual would want to use a cover-crop.

when a truckload of manure would do the same thing, wouldnt it,?

Boboro

You can get bad stuff in manure. nutgrass is the worst. But I may use some 3yr. old horse manure this year.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
You can get bad stuff in manure. nutgrass is the worst. But I may use some 3yr. old horse manure this year.

this i will totally agree with<!!!!!!!

i got a dump-truck load of some cow poop from a big dairy, years ago

tilled it in, and had SANDSPURS out the a**

maybe a cover crop aint bad,<

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
^^^^^^^^^^

THATS A GOOD ARTICLE, AND THEY MENTION FLORIDA in it,

ive never done a cover crop,

but ive seen fields, in my area covered with clover,

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Good article. Thanks. I'm considering Crimson clover for my cover crop. Good nitrogen fixing. I am a bit concerned about nematodes. The article says (((Winter rye, sunnhemp, velvet bean, and hairy indigo may reduce nematode populations. Clovers, lupine, sesbania, and vetch tend to be nematode hosts. )))

Perhaps I should consider winter Rye?

John

Status
Not open for further replies.