Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Plant splitting into two

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bika

Have yall had plants split into two? If so do you let them grow or kill the one that split?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Sounds like you have a ground sucker that grew from the base of the plant. If so it's best to snap off the ground sucker. If you allow it to grow you will get almost twice as many leaves but they will be smaller than leaves from just one stalk. If this is not the case, explain what you mean by "split into two".

Randy B

Bika

No you are correct, it did start from the base of the plant. Im going to get rid of them right away.

Thank you

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
if the plant is basically done (and in the old texts the development of root level suckers was a sign that they were) i let the ground sucker grow, once the sucker is getting established it will usually stop putting out more root suckers, but break them off if it does. once the sucker is about 6 inches tall i harvest the stalk and attempt to get a sucker harvest. i know it will never be a mature plants because how far north i live but it's still a tasty smoke.

i know apparently some plants put out a root sucker before it is clearly mature, but if your plants are alligatored before it puts out a root sucker, thats a variety the old timers were discussing i'm pretty sure.

darren1979

First Time Grower
I had a Virginia Gold develop two main stems this year, when it was around a foot tall the snails and slugs decided to have a field day on it and strip it clean of any leaves. After a few weeks it started to show signs of life so i just left it alone, it ended up 4ft tall looking like a musical tuning fork. Lots of leaves just on the small side and nothing to write home about.

Im guessing the growth tip was damaged and over time repaired itself.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
You have to be merciless when it comes to suckering. Last year I was lazier and the difference shows in the leaf big time.

Status
Not open for further replies.