Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

pesticides

Status
Not open for further replies.

CigarNews

My tobacco plants are getting eating by some type of hornworm of catepillar. What type of pesticide is ok to spray on the plants and won' thurt the end user smoking the leaves? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

leverhead

I used Thuricide(? sp) this year, it's a BT type pesticide. It's a soil bacterial toxin, it's pretty safe. I used it every three days, be sure to spray the growth bud well, we've got loopers here that will really mess things up. You can get it at home improvement stores, bring your glasses and read the bottle to make sure it's good (bad) for hornworms.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
Bt or Spinosad - both organic and non-hazardous.
Sevin, if you can tolerate the residue.
Soapy water for aphids.

FYI, commercial growers use acephate (Orthene), and spray on a 10-14 day interval. Highly effective against hornworms, budworms, flea beetles, hoppers and aphids, but it is not non-toxic. Acephate is systemic (absorbed into the leaf), the bug takes a few bites, gets poisoned and dies. Acephate has a half-life of 10 to 14 days as it breaks down to non-hazardous compounds - therefore, if you're not going to be smoking the leaf until 6 or 8 months to a year+ after the last application, the toxic chemicals will be well south of parts-per-billion/trillions, or substainually 'safe'. Also recognise that acephate will prevent seeds from being viable - don't use on plants that which you intend to collect seed.

CigarNews

How long does Thuricide last for, once sprayed?

I used Thuricide(? sp) this year, it's a BT type pesticide. It's a soil bacterial toxin, it's pretty safe. I used it every three days, be sure to spray the growth bud well, we've got loopers here that will really mess things up. You can get it at home improvement stores, bring your glasses and read the bottle to make sure it's good (bad) for hornworms.

leverhead

Just a few days, rain will wash it off also. From what I've heard it's supposed to break down naturally in a few days. I'm going to plant in early March next year to try to get ahead of the problem, late season has been tough for me.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member

it will kill. for about 3 days,

but if you spray it right, it will kill. your entire infestation in one application,

but the hornworm moth is visiting your crop each night, and laying eggs,

so as stated spray every 4 days, and you'll be fine.

CigarNews

Thanks Chicken. Has anyone bought a bunch of praying mantis and let them eat the hornworms? Can this work too? Not sure if Thuricide will kill mantis too.

it will kill. for about 3 days,

but if you spray it right, it will kill. your entire infestation in one application,

but the hornworm moth is visiting your crop each night, and laying eggs,

so as stated spray every 4 days, and you'll be fine.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
My experience with beneficial insects is that you just can't get enough of them to control anything.
Hornworms lay in 2 cycles, sometimes 3 depending on where you are. Florida and Texas for example probably have 3 cycles. Study your plants next year. When you understand your hornworm cycle you will only have to spray 2 times. Once when you see them for the first time and then about 40 to 60 days later. I believe Gardens Alive sells a BT product that claims to be active for something like 7 to 10 days.

CigarNews

I am getting 25 praying mantis to help control a 15 x 30 ft. Greenhouse. They will be contained in there, so will keep you posted.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
im curious to see how these, enclosed inscects do,???

you may also want to get some LADYBUGS they will keep any aphid infestaction down,and they are beneficial incests,

i'd still have some B.T. on standby,

Status
Not open for further replies.