Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

watering with city water help....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bika

I have been watering the whole time using city water. I'm now going filtered. Is there anything I can do to help remove the chlorine? I have only one plant blooming the others are a month behind.

leverhead

I used rain barrels as much as I could, Look around for 100 liter (maybe 110?) Plastic barrels. They have lids that seal pretty good, it keeps the skeeters out. I keep a screen over the one I'm filling to get the leaves and other crud. From there I cheat and transfer to a 1200 gal tank.

Boboro

I've grown for 3 years and have not had a problem with city water. but I only water when I have to. You can put some water in bucket and let it sit over nite.

Bika

I need to know if there is a way to pull the chlorine out of the ground or plant or at least reduce it.

Boboro

I'd say if its been a day or to its gone from the ground. I do'nt think your plants are hurt unless your water has a whole lot of chlorine in it.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The amount of chlorine in water is small compared to fertilizing your plants with a chlorine based fertilizer. In an earlier post I mentioned that you could negate the effects of too much chlorine by increasing your nitrogen. Chlorine is considered an essential micro nutrient for tobacco. If you've only been watering with chlorine based water you should be OK especially since Boboro has said he's been doing it for several years.

dR_wH0

So bottom line is that Chlorine isn't hurtful to the plants as long as it's in low levels ?

*edit*

and sorry for bumping an old thread, I just thought it would be best not to start a new one on the same subject

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I don't know if there is a threshold effect, but in general the greater the chlorine absorbed by a tobacco plant, the poorer the finished leaf will burn.

Bob

Knucklehead

Founding Member
My county sends out a detailed water analysis once a year. I think there are paper strips available that you dip in the water and the strip changes color. You then compare the strip to a color chart to determine chlorine levels. However, the numbers are meaningless unless you know how much is too much.

DonH

I didn't know that. Is there a way to calculate the amount of Chlorine in the water ?
I think tasting is the best way. Chlorine is really easy to taste. Some cities' water tastes like a swimming pool. Others have a little bit. My town has none except maybe for a week or two out of the year.

Frozenthunderbolt

Ascorbic acid (vit C) can also be added to get rid of chlorine, many water supplies use chloroamines which don't evapourate off as chlorine does and is immune to the effect of vit C, adding Potassium metabisulfate will remove it though.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
An activated charcoal filter will remove it and it can be installed inline. You will want a backflow preventer intalled upstream of the filter.

Status
Not open for further replies.