Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Some of new zealands tobacco laws

FormerMember

i'm going to ring up nz customs tomorrow and get the skinny on raw leaf import.
if it gets the ok then im doing it, only getting by the 1 pound shipment at a time cause im on sickness benni and cant afford anymore than that in one order. will still be growing hydro baccy this year thats a given, its an experiment ive wanted to do for a long time.
obviously the raw leaf import is a loop hole in the laws so why not take advantage of it, businesses do it all the time.

Orson Carte

Best of luck with phoning Customs. They'll probably totally confuse you. Especially if you start by telling them you want to import 'raw leaf'. (It's not 'raw leaf' - it's 'unmanufactured whole-leaf'.)
After the discussion above, I really don't know why you're bothering with Customs.
You've already been given the answer by the person you'll be buying from ('FMGrowit') that it passes through Customs without a problem, and I've also indicated that I (and many others) import it without any difficulty. It will get held up for a month or more, however, if they require it to be 'treated'. Nowadays this is almost a certainty and adds an extra $45 to the cost of your pound.
I do understand that being on Welfare makes it harder for you but buying it one pound at a time makes it more than twice the price per pound that it would be if you were to buy, say, 8 pounds.

FormerMember

i phoned customs and mpi today they said the following.
no duty on whole unprocessed leaf
no GST unless the the amount of gst on declaired item cost exceeds $60
option of heat treatment or inspection, (still waiting to find out actual costs of either of those)

so importing one pound at a time is cheaper than importing several pound and incurring gst

Orson Carte

i phoned customs and mpi today they said the following.
no duty on whole unprocessed leaf
no GST unless the the amount of gst on declaired item cost exceeds $60
option of heat treatment or inspection, (still waiting to find out actual costs of either of those)

so importing one pound at a time is cheaper than importing several pound and incurring gst

I told you that if you phoned them you'd probably end up confused. The information that you think you have is, in my opinion totally incorrect.
On my purchases the total cost is usually around $360 and I've never paid GST. (I believe $400 is the thresh-hold, and I intentionally keep below that).
Even if you did pay GST (sales tax) on your consignment, buying it by the pound is still twice the cost of a larger quantity; because you're going to be paying a $45 treatment/inspection fee on every pound instead of only paying it once.
You're also going to be paying dearer (per pound) for freight and you don't get the vendor's discount (which you will on slightly a bigger order).
Anyway, I've tried to be helpful and save you from first-timer's mistakes but this is the last thing I have to say on this matter.

Kiwi2018

I got the following written rundown on importing whole leaf tobacco into nz...
All in all, even with duties factored in, it's cheaper than if we buy it over the counter (@$50 for 30gms).
I don't expect any duties to be added on though. All going well it'll cruise through customs easily.

Whole leaf unprocessed tobacco can be imported into New Zealand free of Customs duty. However your shipment will be subject to Goods and Services Tax (15%). The GST is payable on the sum of the cost of the goods plus insurance and freight to get the goods to New Zealand. Your shipment will also be subject to an Import Entry Transaction fee of $49.24 NZD. If the total of the Goods and Services Tax owing is less than $60 NZD, Customs does not collect any charges.

To manufacture the imported tobacco leaves into tobacco products other than personal use only, you would need to be licenced as a Customs controlled area and would be required to pay any excise Duty applicable.

The Ministry for Primary Industries may have some restrictions on the importation of tobacco leaves into New Zealand for biosecurity reasons. You can contact them at info@mpi.govt.nz for more information.

Regards, Andrew Southgate

National Contact Centre

0800 428 786 (0800 4 CUSTOMS)

feedback@customs.govt.nz

JennyLeez

The reason for this is that the freight, currency exchange rate, and the fact that you're almost certain to have to pay for 'heat treatment'* at the border (costing a fee of $45, regardless of the weight) means that the US$18 per pound balloons to NZ$106 delivered on your doorstep.

Hi,
What is heat treatment please?

kiwiazz74, why not just grow your own. Seeds are even cheaper still especially since you are on welfare.
There are a few on here in NZ that can send you seeds if needed plus trademe has them for $5 per a few thousand :)

Cheers
Jenny

Orson Carte

Jenny -

The decision as to whether or not imported whole-leaf tobacco needs (for reasons of biosecurity) to be 'heat treated' is made by MPI (Ministry for Primary Industries) when it crosses the border through Customs.
There was a time when sometimes a consignment of tobacco passed through, unscathed, and sometimes it didn't. Nowadays, however, it seems that it is withheld for treatment pretty much every time.
They basically charge you $45 for them to 'cook' your tobacco inside its package. The treatment darkens it and, in my opinion definitely changes its quality for the worse.
You pay the $45 fee whether they test one pound or (say) ten pounds.
When the new regulations come into being in September they will add considerably to anyone importing a single pound of whole-leaf.

It will look something like this -

1. WLT tobacco and freight.(For 1 pound $NZ63.17) Note; Even one pound will include tax because it exceeds the $60 threshhold.

2.An 'Import Entry Transaction Fee'. (Total $49.24) https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/duty-and-gst/faqs/

3. A (almost certain) Heat Treatment Fee ($45)

4.GST (Sales Tax on the tobacco and freight.) Customs contact the buyer when it's in NZ and pays before it's released. $9.48

Making the cost of 1 pound ....... wait for it .... $166.88

And it gets worse; once you lose 30% in stem wastage the cost of the leaf is around $242 per pound (or $534/kg).
So it's not the GST (Sales Tax) that's exaggerating the cost - it's the $94.24 'administration costs'.

The cost for buying, say 8lbs is a lot cheaper, because you're not paying the Transaction Fee and Heat Treatment eight times over - just once.
Eight pounds of de-stemmed leaf would cost around $205.92 per kilogram, which although probably surprising to Americans, is still considerably cheaper than the $1800/kg you would pay for loose tobacco over the counter in NZ.

FormerMember

hi jenny
i will be growing my own this season but its winter and i was looking into a interim substitute.

Charly

You have really crazy prices (or should I say "taxes") in New Zealand ! :( That's just unbelievable !

For sure, the best thing for you to do is to grow your own !

Good luck everyone !

FormerMember

ordered a pound on monday just got note to say its been processed in nz and on its way to me thats 7 days from payment to arrive in nz. no email from customs to say of any extra import charges but its sunday so will see if any customs email or phone call on monday. very happy

Orson Carte

The fact that there are no 'import charges' is no surprise whatsoever. As has already been pointed out there are always no import charges on whole leaf tobacco, provided the order does not exceed about 8lbs and the total cost doesn't exceed $400 (in $NZ). This scenario may change in the near future, but it is the one that prevails at the moment.
So, you won't get any phone-call or email from Customs.
The fact that the package has landed in NZ in less than a week is also no surprise. Put that down to the supplier's efficiency. However, I'd be interested to hear just how you know that the package is 'on its way' to you. Every time my consignments are held up (which is the norm) the parcel tracker first tells me that the package has 'passed through Auckland International Airport' and is 'en route to its destination'. The trouble is, the 'destination' isn't my place.
Given a few more days of nothing apparently happening the tracker usually changes to say it 'is being held by Customs for clearance'.
You won't actually hear from Customs though. Instead, you will receive a letter in the mail from MPI telling you that the package must be either 'heat-treated' or destroyed. (Or returned to USA).
To have it treated and then released to you (which is the only logical choice) will cost you an extra $45. If there's anything extra in the package, that isn't tobacco, you are also liable for an extra freight charge.
I really do hope that it lands on your doorstep unscathed in the next few days but the scenario I've outlined above, and in previous postings, is the norm.
(I do have some knowledge of how the 'system' works. I am merely trying to tell you and other newbies something that took me quite some time to learn. I have my last two consignments (16 lbs) being held and tested at this very moment.)

burge

The more you order the more you save on shipping so in time you will find the right balance to order.

ladaok

Jenny -

The decision as to whether or not imported whole-leaf tobacco needs (for reasons of biosecurity) to be 'heat treated' is made by MPI (Ministry for Primary Industries) when it crosses the border through Customs.
There was a time when sometimes a consignment of tobacco passed through, unscathed, and sometimes it didn't. Nowadays, however, it seems that it is withheld for treatment pretty much every time.
They basically charge you $45 for them to 'cook' your tobacco inside its package. The treatment darkens it and, in my opinion definitely changes its quality for the worse.
You pay the $45 fee whether they test one pound or (say) ten pounds.
When the new regulations come into being in September they will add considerably to anyone importing a single pound of whole-leaf.

It will look something like this -

1. WLT tobacco and freight.(For 1 pound $NZ63.17) Note; Even one pound will include tax because it exceeds the $60 threshhold.

2.An 'Import Entry Transaction Fee'. (Total $49.24) https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/duty-and-gst/faqs/

3. A (almost certain) Heat Treatment Fee ($45)

4.GST (Sales Tax on the tobacco and freight.) Customs contact the buyer when it's in NZ and pays before it's released. $9.48

Making the cost of 1 pound ....... wait for it .... $166.88

And it gets worse; once you lose 30% in stem wastage the cost of the leaf is around $242 per pound (or $534/kg).
So it's not the GST (Sales Tax) that's exaggerating the cost - it's the $94.24 'administration costs'.

The cost for buying, say 8lbs is a lot cheaper, because you're not paying the Transaction Fee and Heat Treatment eight times over - just once.
Eight pounds of de-stemmed leaf would cost around $205.92 per kilogram, which although probably surprising to Americans, is still considerably cheaper than the $1800/kg you would pay for loose tobacco over the counter in NZ.

Total rubbish, Your smoking the wrong stuff ...lol .... you could probably spend almost US $ 200 and not incur any charges at all. ...no duty , and if you total GST value is under NZ $ 60 ,.... no extra charges

https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/duty-and-gst/whats-my-duty-estimator/

Orson Carte

Total rubbish, Your smoking the wrong stuff ...lol .... you could probably spend almost US $ 200 and not incur any charges at all. ...no duty , and if you total GST value is under NZ $ 60 ,.... no extra charges

https://www.customs.govt.nz/personal/duty-and-gst/whats-my-duty-estimator/

Shortly after posting the above I realised that I was misinterpreting the tax changes that are due to be made in October.
I had thought that the scheme was to charge Goods and Services Tax (GST) , at the rate of 15%, on all imported goods costing NZ$60 or over.
I now think the reality is that GST (at 15%) will be charged on any imported goods (and freight) that cost NZ$400 or more.
This is where the '$60' figure comes in - (15% x $400 = $60)
So, really there is to be no change from the status quo. (At the moment there is no duty payable on whole-leaf tobacco, unless its total cost, including freight, equals or exceeds NZ$400.)
So at present prices of tobacco, freight and currency exchange, come October you can still safely buy up to eight pounds of leaf and still be under the NZ$400 threshold. Just as you can right now.
Really, the point I was trying to make above is that it's far more economical to buy eight pounds at a time rather than eight separate pounds. And it's not the GST that's the bugbear but the Quarantine charge that is made if they decide to 'heat treat' it. $45 is charged each time, whether it's one pound or eight.
So, I might've unintentionally exaggerated the situation above, but, come October, one pound of wholeleaf will cost around NZ$108.17 bought by the pound (if held back for 'treatment'), compared to around $45 when bought and treated in a larger quantity.
I have recently noticed a couple of new NZ members importing single pounds and getting through Customs unscathed. I don't know whether this can be put down to 'beginners luck' or to the fact that a small parcel doesn't attract the attention a large box does. All I do know is that I usually get 'caught' and have had to pay the Quarantine (treatment) Fee almost every time.

Wayn3

Interesting. I've ordered/bought 5 pounds yesterday. Works out at under NZ$50 per pound. If I get 300 grams shredded out of the (1 pound) 450g, that will last me 6 weeks vs $92/week for a 50g at shops at moment. Hoping it goes well... Depending how it goes I might make another purchase before October when the auto-GST (15% tax) kicks in on (all?) purchases, trademe ebay paypal etc..