Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Newb

Status
Not open for further replies.

ashbroom

Hi all,

I am new to this whole Tobacco thing. I have been smoking a hookah for about 6 years now and have been smoking cigars off and on for the same amount of time. I got my father into smoking cigars, kind of by accident (bought him a few for his birthday or Christmas) and now he has gotten me more into it. We recently found a place inthe northwest suburbs of Chicago that sells their own blend of hand rolled/fresh rolled tobacco and we instantly became interested in rolling our own. I have only made about 8 batches of my own beer, but I already like it as good as commercially available beers; so I am at the point where I might just drink my own beer most of the time. I would like this to be true about cigars as well. All that being said, we plan to buy some whole leaf and try our hands at rolling our own cigars, and if all goes well, we will start a crop of (probably) 12-16 plants, total, split between 2 seperate locations. I have also been growing hydroponic lettuce inside for my rabbit to eat, so I have a bit of a handle on growing. I know there is a lot of carry over in members from the HTGT forum, so if you read this twice, sorry. I really look forward to learning all I can from everyone and, hopefully, one day, trading with you folks on here.

Steve2md

Welcome aboard Matt! You'll love it here. This is a great group of guys and there are quite a few of us who LOVE our cigars. You're in good company here at Fair Trade!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Welcome Ash. Go to the FAQ up at the top as a primer and the cigar portion of the forum. Read, enjoy, learn and ask questions as needed.

John

ashbroom

I have been reading here for the past couple days and I am getting more and more excited about growing next year. I'm not really sure what we're going to grow yet, but I'm excited none the less. I will reserve my questions for the appropriate sub-forum, but get ready, they will be dumb and plentiful.

Aaron

I have been reading here for the past couple days and I am getting more and more excited about growing next year. I'm not really sure what we're going to grow yet, but I'm excited none the less. I will reserve my questions for the appropriate sub-forum, but get ready, they will be dumb and plentiful.

No worries, they're used to it.... I ask silly questions all the time. BTW welcome to the forum. Glad to have ya with us.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
How much growing space do you have?

ashbroom

John,

Not exactly sure how much growing space I have yet; or rather not sure how much will be needed. Our plan at the moment is to grow 8 plants at my house and 8 of the same plants at my fathers house (to see who has better growing conditions). The place my father works at also has an empty lot next door that they own and he was thinking about comendeering some space over there as well, but we also probably don't really need to grow more than 16 plants for our first year, considering we don't know what the hell we're doing. We could probably make more space for more plants if we needed to. I wouldn't have much more space, but he would probably have a little more and, well, open/empty field. Why do you ask?

Matt

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Why do you ask?Matt
Depending on what varieties you grow tight spacing is 2'. 2.5' is comfortable and 3' is really nice. I smoke cigars and 50 plants gives me almost all of what I smoke. If you use cigs the FAQ's #5 (at the top) will give you a good guide. Your growing season will be very similar to mine so you should have little trouble with maturing any variety you want to grow.

My big failing is in starting seedlings. A little extra care, like starting a few seeds in the winter just to test your setup, would be a good idea. Seeds are cheap (or free). Time wasted never comes back. My lack of planning one year came back and bit me really hard.

John

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Growing tobacco is easy. I'd grow more than you think you'll need. Learn as you go. It only gets better with age. If you go small your only regret will likely be not having gone larger. Experience talking here :)

Status
Not open for further replies.