Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pipe progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

Aaron , I'm heading to the post office today to send some osage pipe blanks ,pen blanks and one 11" x 1 5/8" x 7/8" osage orange. Leaf will be included. I know what you mean about shop cleaning.

That's awesome! I'm excited to see everything. You rock!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
you guy's are really doing some precise woodworking,

making a pipe, out of a block of wood,

allthough in the past ive used some nice woodworking eq. before,

right now, all i got acess, to is a jigsaw,,,circular,,,,,drill,,,,and a side grinder,

im sure id bleed, before the pipe got used,

Aaron

you guy's are really doing some precise woodworking,

making a pipe, out of a block of wood,

allthough in the past ive used some nice woodworking eq. before,

right now, all i got acess, to is a jigsaw,,,circular,,,,,drill,,,,and a side grinder,

im sure id bleed, before the pipe got used,

Lol, ya know, blood makes a good stain too. I've bled real good a couple times while working on a pipe and what makes me laugh a bit was both times I said to myself "this isn't very smart" then BAM!

I've seen some very nice pipes made with nothing more than a drill, a hand file, and sandpaper. My first real attempt was like that but it wasn't pretty.

Steve2md

Dude! A good sharp knife, a belt sander, and some hand sanding and you've got yourself a decent pipe! Go for it!

Aaron

Aaron , I'm heading to the post office today to send some osage pipe blanks ,pen blanks and one 11" x 1 5/8" x 7/8" osage orange. Leaf will be included. I know what you mean about shop cleaning.

BarG I got your package in the mail today and just opened it up just a minute ago and WOW! The blanks look sweet, and the extra's you put in there are sweet too, but the leaf you sent looks absolutely amazing. A bit more that a sample I'd say. :D I owe ya big now. I know what I'll be doing for the next few hours.

Thank You Very Much

Aaron

Aaron

The new stem blanks showed up in the mail today so now I can get back to making pipe progress. I hope to have some more progress pictures in the next day or two.

Aaron

I finally got some time to work on the pipe again this weekend. :)

I got a stem turned down and fitted to the block.
8092781420_6b6826c202_z.jpg

I turned down the block and stem to the same size and made sure I had a tight transition from wood to ebonite.
8092777535_2f5cd8068e_z.jpg

Next was time to start working on the tobacco chamber.
8092782788_ba36c32989_z.jpg

Once I get the tobacco chamber drilled close to where it should end up I drill the air way from the mortise end and then finish drilling the tobacco chamber to meet up with the airway.
8092778319_3096a4df3d_z.jpg

Then I screw it all up. :( I had my drill bit in the airway to help me eyeball the alignment and without thinking I rotated the lathe chuck by hand and the bit hit the cross bar causing the shank to snap off. Doh! Oh well. I guess I'll start another in the morning.
8092778499_eb8c9daecc_z.jpg

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I know nothing about this since the break is fresh and clean couldn't you use Gorilla glue and repair it. The stuff is amazingly strong.

John

leverhead

Live and learn, at least it wasn't a finger. I hate broken taps, it only happens late on a Friday so you can spend a good part of Saturday getting it out.

Aaron

I know nothing about this since the break is fresh and clean couldn't you use Gorilla glue and repair it. The stuff is amazingly strong.

John

I may try to epoxy it back together and keep it as a shop pipe. This one was intended for Jack in NB so for now it'll get set aside and I'll start another.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I don't know the safety aspects of heating up glues and epoxies but I would worry about using certain glues in a pipe. I don't know if they cure and gas off their dangerous chemicals when they dry but I wouldn't want epoxy fumes being smoked...

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
There's something courageous and reassuring about posting the bad outcomes with the good. Since a pipe is a deeply personal thing, and lasts decades, I would be inclined to just toss the broken one.

Bob

EDIT: Maybe mount it in two pieces on a nice display plaque, and hang it in your shop.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I agree Bob, I threw out a broken one years ago that I really liked, Seeing all this done I wish I wouldn't just kept it. Nice estate pipe from the 40's. triangle cut stem and all, oh well I guess

Steve2md

I keep all of my "mistake pipes". Toss them in a drawer in the shop. They will remain available for inspiration and ideas in the future

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I may try to epoxy it back together and keep it as a shop pipe. This one was intended for Jack in NB so for now it'll get set aside and I'll start another.
If push comes to shove send it to me. I'll finish it and glue it, no worries here. I prefer Gorilla glue for this type of job. I use epoxies all the time but not for this job.

John

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I've been looking for a real short stem sitter like seastarmcpipe makes, do you think it could be salvaged for that use?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
The problem with glueing it is that you will always be able to see the crack. I used Gorilla Glue on a pipe once and it turned out great until after I smoked a few bowls. I guess the heating/cooling cycle as well as tars from the tobacco made the hairline crack visible.
I've only glued one pipe though so maybe it is possible to get away with it.

oldsouth

Banned
I'm going to post some pics of my home made pipe later today. Mine is very different and if anyone wants to try to make one this way, I'll be glad to advise. I grew up around several branches of the Cherokee tribe. I always liked the look of the ceremonial "peace" pipe, but the store bought ones looked way to commercial compared to the really old ones they would bring out at powwows and special events. I was passing through PN about 15 years ago and noticed some red stone side of the road where they were widening. I stopped and go out - sure enough, it was "pipe stone". So, I got a good size chunk. The first thing I did once i got it home was to cut a rough L shape using a stone bit on my power drill and a chisel. Then I drilled the basic holes in the bowl. I've been working on it of and on ever since, when the mood strikes, just with a couple of files and a whet stone.

oldsouth

Banned
Here are the photos:

Obviously, it still needs a lot of work:

IMG_0387.JPG IMG_0391.JPG IMG_0392.JPG IMG_0393.JPG

The bowl is about 1/5th the size of the original piece of stone. It still looks pretty primitive - hopefully, it will look a bit nicer when I finish.

IMG_0395.JPG

Here it is attached to the stem. I connect the two with a small piece of oak with a hole drilled through it. I have smoked the pipe several times and it draws well and stays cool. I think pipe stone is a good material for smoking. BTW, I've been working to make the bowl hollow larger, so the burn marks/tar have been filed off since the last smoke. THe stem is an old mahogany blow gun from Brazil! I might cut the critter off the top - not sure yet. I'm also thinking about carving a horn or antler nib.

Status
Not open for further replies.