Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pipe progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaron

The epoxy I use is called Clear Weld Epoxy. It is the only one I've been able to find that states in the MSDS that it is non-hazardous when cured. If it really is or isn't toxic I'm not sure but I've never notice any taste of fumes from using it. I've also not used it any closer than a couple inches away from the tobacco chamber so far.
http://www.itwconsumer.com/versachem-products/product.cfm?id=Clear%20Weld%20Epoxy-124
http://www.itwconsumer.com/userfiles/files/msds/VC-MSDS/47609 MSDS.pdf

I've had pretty good luck with it so far but it does take a long time to set compared to other epoxies. I was thinking that I will probably reattach the shank with a short piece of 1/4"
stainless steel tubing for a tenon to add strength and use the epoxy to hold it together. I'm sure the line where it snapped will always be visible but it may eventually make it into a decent shop pipe. It will probably also be used as a test for a new finish.

Steve2md

No problem, glad I could help. As for the service, it was the most fun and bad assed job I've ever had, right up to when I got blown up. I should be thanking the American people for letting me do all those cool things!

oldsouth

Banned
No problem, glad I could help. As for the service, it was the most fun and bad assed job I've ever had, right up to when I got blown up. I should be thanking the American people for letting me do all those cool things!

I'll echo the words of Washington, GA's Robert Toombs (Senator, and Confederate Secretary of State) when asked why there was no hotel in Washington. "Any gentleman who should visit Washington is a welcome guest in my home. Should he not be a gentleman, he would not be welcome anywhere in Washington." It is said that dinner was never served at his home when a guest was not present. Should we ever cross paths, you will be a welcome guest and I hope you will accept my humble gratitude.

Aaron

It's time for an update on this project. :) After breaking my first attempt I got started with another one and tried to get it caught up to about where I was at with the first. The second attempt was not a complete failure and will end up in my collection eventually. I had a heck of a time getting a good fit on the tenon, and after modifying it several times I ended up with a loose fit on a ridiculously long Delrin tenon.

8154656108_07fd8144c5_z.jpg 8154630167_b4bb62b326_z.jpg
That just wasn't good enough for me so I decided it was time to move on to attempt #3

The third attempt has been more cooperative with me and I've managed to get it a bit further along in the process. I got this one up to about the point where I was at when I broke the first. I managed to get a good fitting integral tenon on the stem this time. I even ended up with an almost perfect alignment of the chamber and the airway. :)

8154658852_70d68862dc_z.jpg 8154633537_2caf01bfde_z.jpg 8154633961_2638f24fb0_z.jpg

So now I'm finally able to work on some rough shaping of the bottom of the bowl and the transition to the shank. Before I do that I like to use some masking tape to protect my smooth surfaces and to give me a guide to keep me from taking too much wood off.

8154663240_1e29837dcf_z.jpg

I used a 6" disc sander to knock off all the corners and give some shape to the lower half of the bowl.

8154664660_a9f041ebb7_z.jpg

And this is where I'm at now. I've got the tape off and the stem attached. Now I can get a better idea of what the shape of the stem needs to be. From here there will be a lot of filing and sanding to refine the shape and prepare it for finishing.

8154665132_a6f70e1991_z.jpg

Thanks for looking!

Aaron :)

oldsouth

Banned
That is very nice Aaron!

I'm still filing away on my pipestone. I tried soaking the bowl for several days, but it didn't soften any. That kind of worries me. Does anyone know if there is another reddish, but harder, stone that I could have mistaken for pipestone? And if so, could it have any heavy metals, petroleum compounds or other toxins in it that I need to worry about?

Steve2md

Your stone is not likely to have anything bad in it. you may have just found a particularly hard piece. The red color comes from iron oxide in the soil when the stone was formed. Iron oxide is rust, and won't hurt you at all as far as a pipe is concerned. Keep on filing away!

Aaron

Do you have a certain preference for the grain orientation when laying out you pipes Aaron.

Not really. I try to look at a block and see a pipe inside. If I can make the shape somewhat follow the grain lines I try to. This pipe I knew what shape I was shooting for so I tried to find a piece of wood to fit the shape. If I don't have a specific shape in mind then I try to plan a shape that works with the block in hand. Of course, I still feel like I'm winging it on all my pipes, so when I begin to get more comfortable with my shaping I think grain orientation will become much more important to me.

BarG

Founding Member
I have never tried it before but I would also look to orient the grain for the transition to stem to be the strongest . Each blank would be a challenge it seems. The pipe in the pic looks like the grain is oriented realy well.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Ebauchons of briar tend to have an indeterminate, somewhat swirly grain, making it a challenge to select the best orientation. Plateau briar, by contrast, always includes at least one margin of the spherical briar root burl, and tend to have radial grain. Unfortunately, the plateau blocks are one-and-a-half to two times the cost of similar sized ebauchons. The really lovely plateau blanks sometimes sell for $100 or more.

pre-bored blanks: http://www.pimopipecraft.com/prebored.html

a nice discussion (including videos) of briar blocks, and a briar store for pipe makers: http://www.romeobriar.com/main.html

Pipe Makers Emporium: http://www.pipemakers.org/

a detailed discussion of pipe making: http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_Making

Bob

Aaron

I managed to get most of my shaping done with the files. Now for sandpaper to smooth everything out and prepare for staining. I'm hoping to get it finished this coming weekend, but it should be finished by the weekend after next at the latest. I'll post a couple more pictures before I start staining.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Bob- How do you stay out of class long enough to post anything? My wife has a PhD and doesn't know anything useful like this. You should hear her though, she's from Tennessee and has that hillbilly twang. Even after nearly 30 years of marriage one of my great forms of entertainment is to hear her sling around those $50.00 words with that Ellie Mae Clampett accent. Tickles the hell out of me.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Aaron- what do you use for stain? Do pipes require some kind of food grade finish? What can burn and still be safe?

Status
Not open for further replies.