Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

UK Customs/UKBA - how to deal with them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Holysmokes

I ordered from leafonly. Everything is sorted now, I contacted hmrc and gave them the commodity codes over the phone, no letter needed. They changed the charge to £46 :D very pleased with that!

tomb

Hi there from UK this is my first post:

For anyone wanting an update on UK customs, HMRC and whole leaf tobacco
It is looking like the government is pressing ahead with their proposal to introduce additional controls on raw tobacco.

From 1st October 2016 businesses and individuals importing or using raw tobacco for any purpose will have to be registered with HMRC.

This new strategy looks to stop or severely limit our ability to purchase raw tobacco as an end user.
The licenses of course will be incredibly difficult to obtain and only afforded by the 'big tobacco boys'.
After all they are trying to stop us doing what we do (they can start claiming all that 'missing' tax and duty)

There is going to be a three month window for businesses and individuals to register. On and after 1st January 2017, the penalty powers and forfeiture power will come into effect. This will be combined with enhanced seizure powers if it is determined that an individual or businesses is using raw tobacco without the proper licences.

Government page: Tobacco Duty: raw tobacco registration scheme

As far as I can make out this looks to be going ahead. Please feel free to correct me and/or discuss this further in this thread

tomb

Status
Not open for further replies.