Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Pictures of Your Home Made Pipes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Steve2md

As the title says, this is a spot to put the pics of your home made pipes. Let's see them!!
This one is a briar that I carved with a pocket knife. The stem is Honduran rosewood with a little band of purple heart in the middle. I turned the stem from pen blanks on my lathe. It's my first "professional" looking pipe
pipe.jpg

I don't remember what this little guy is made from, my cousin carved it with a utility knife. (I'm pretty sure it wasn't intended for tobacco......)
1333772707859.jpg

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I only wish I had time to actually make a pipe...that one your cousin made kinda looks like a gourd. Homemade calabash perhaps?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
you did a good job on the top one,

im sure a lathe would be helpfull in knocking some of the wood out, to get to the basic design,?

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
steve if your intrested in making another, one

thiers a tree next door, that has these,

'' briors'' all over it,

i could get pic's and send you a raw one,

if you wanna do some more carving,

would you like to see pic's of what im talking about,?

Steve2md

Sure, shoot the pics on over. the briar used normally for pipes is:

Erica arborea, the tree heath, is a shrub or small evergreen tree found mostly in the macchia-matorral-maquis shrublands, dry evergreen scrublands, surrounding the Mediterranean Basin and west to Portugal and the Canary and Madeira Islands.

There are disjunct areas in Africa including the Ethiopian Highlands, the mountains of Ruwenzori and the Cameroon mountains.

Description

Erica arborea has a typical height of 1-4m (3-12 ft.), with some specimens reaching 7m (21 ft.). The numerous small flowers are white. The tree heath prefers acid soil.

The wood, known as briar root or French bruyère, is an extremely hard and heat-resistant wood used for making smoking pipes and knife handles.

Other tall growing heaths, including the Portugal Heath (Erica lusitanica) may also sometimes be called tree heath.

Usually it's the root bundle, or "burl" that's preferred.

as long as the tree is non toxic and hard wood, it should make a decent pipe

BarG

Founding Member
As the title says, this is a spot to put the pics of your home made pipes. Let's see them!!
This one is a briar that I carved with a pocket knife. The stem is Honduran rosewood with a little band of purple heart in the middle. I turned the stem from pen blanks on my lathe. It's my first "professional" looking pipe
View attachment 1908

I don't remember what this little guy is made from, my cousin carved it with a utility knife. (I'm pretty sure it wasn't intended for tobacco......)
View attachment 1909

That hand carved briar pipe is fine lookin. I like the grain on the bowl.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
this is a big-ass oak tree,

and these '' briors'' are huge '' canecerous'' spots,

some bigger than a soft ball.

who knows, i may cut 2 of them , one for me, and try my luck at making a home-made peace pipe,,,lol

Steve2md

Go for it, they'll be burly and hard. The pipe will need to be broken in very well to stave off the sour flavor of the oak, but I say do it. You'll need to dry it very well (hmm, toss it in the kiln for a few weeks....) then dig in!

You want the wood to dry SLOW to prevent "checking" (cracks from drying too rapidly)

BarG

Founding Member
this is a big-ass oak tree,

and these '' briors'' are huge '' canecerous'' spots,

some bigger than a soft ball.

who knows, i may cut 2 of them , one for me, and try my luck at making a home-made peace pipe,,,lol

Chicken, I think your referring to BURLS. They can get huge and are prized for all types of woodworking. I harvest them whenever I can, the bigger the better. Sometimes a new branch will curl back in on itself and keep growing inside creating all the swirls and unique patterns in the grain.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Boboro, I tried using the stalk as a stem but it ended up being way to soft. I might try the root stump for the novelty of it.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
The thought did pass my mind. Maybe a nice stump piece with meer insert.

Boboro

I ant no pipe smoker. I got one of them small water pipes like pot smokers use but I ca'nt get the hang of it. Just chokes the hell out of me.

Briar Boy

Here be one of mine, carved it with a pocket knife from a stick in the backyard ;)
5zl4e8oh.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.