Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Great blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

DonH

I just made what for me approaches the perfect cigarette blend: 40% Don's Flue Cured Virginia, 20% Dark Air Cured 2nd Priming, 20% toasted Burley, 20% Turkish (variety unknown). Very smooth yet flavorful all the way down to the end. Proportions are approximate. Wish I had measure them out.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
I wouldn't be sad about not measuring it out now you have an excuse to try more blends. I haven't met a tobacco yet I didn't like :)

leverhead

I put away toasting Burley when I started growing. The weather is getting to be open window time here, I should get back to it soon. With no casings, I'm at about 75% mixed flue-cured. Try some Maryland in low single digit percentage. Keep tweaking!

DonH

I wouldn't be sad about not measuring it out now you have an excuse to try more blends. I haven't met a tobacco yet I didn't like :)
Yeah well I can't stop experimenting. Too many varieties. But for those of you who make cigarettes, Don's Dark Air Cured is amazing. Can't recommend it enough.

indianjoe

Founding Member
I like Don's flue cured Virginia straight, or mixed, or like SmokesAhoy, with any combination of homegrown.

BarG

Founding Member
I like Don's flue cured Virginia straight, or mixed, or like SmokesAhoy, with any combination of homegrown.

Yeah well I can't stop experimenting. Too many varieties. But for those of you who make cigarettes, Don's Dark Air Cured is amazing. Can't recommend it enough.

I'm spoiled on the Vg. flue cured, I mix it in all my cigs. and straight. I've gone thru many lbs.

I have some of Don's dark air left over from last year in the new kiln to try,
I want to add some to next years grow.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
This coming season is my first. I plan to keep it simple and grow about half Virginia gold and half TN90 Burley. Then buy some Oriental from Don at www.WholeLeafTobacco.com to be able to mix about 10% Oriental with the Virginia and Burley. Does this sound about right for a new grower that smokes cigarettes?

istanbulin

Founding Member
This coming season is my first. I plan to keep it simple and grow about half Virginia gold and half TN90 Burley. Then buy some Oriental from Don at www.WholeLeafTobacco.com to be able to mix about 10% Oriental with the Virginia and Burley. Does this sound about right for a new grower that smokes cigarettes?

I want to suggest you an classic American blend. 55% Virginia, 30% Burley, 15% Turkish

In this blend Turkish tobacco should be mild (e.g. Izmir). Also you can balance the strongness and mildness by changing the amounts of Burley and Turkish.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thank you Istanbulin. I like full flavor cigarettes would you add more Burley? I want to blend in small amounts with a scale until I find what I like and I can duplicate it. Then I can blend larger amounts on a scale and get the same taste.

notcrack

I find that the blend needs to be different everytime I blend anything. I had a customer not to long ago demanding a blend to match his tobacco and I matched it fairly well, but when he took delivery of his leaf it didn't match at all. It can be damn frustrating to be honest.

I'm a fan of 50% Virginia BrightLeaf (Don's) 25% Aged Burley 25% Oriental (Izmir) - It's sweet and strong.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Thank you Istanbulin. I like full flavor cigarettes would you add more Burley? I want to blend in small amounts with a scale until I find what I like and I can duplicate it. Then I can blend larger amounts on a scale and get the same taste.

Ok then, try 50% VA, %40 Burley and 10% Turkish. But this blend may be very strong (for me) according to your tobaccos' strongness. Also may be a little bit tasteless.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Ok then, try 50% VA, %40 Burley and 10% Turkish. But this blend may be very strong (for me) according to your tobaccos' strongness.
I agree. I ended up with 70 VA, 20 Burley and 10 Turkish. My buddy says it's very similar to the Camel blend. I am playing now with casing the burley to change the flavor.

John

DonH

If you case and toast the Burley you can increase the percentage of Burley and have it be smooth yet strong flavored.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I was thinking the smoothness came from the Virginia, the strenght from the Burley and the taste mainly from the Turkish. How off course am I?

DonH

I was thinking the smoothness came from the Virginia, the strenght from the Burley and the taste mainly from the Turkish. How off course am I?

Pretty much. The Turkish contributes smoothness and aromatics. The Burley strong flavor. Virginia is smooth. But toasting the Burley makes it much smoother but keeps the flavor.

Status
Not open for further replies.