Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Whit little ity bity bugs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bika

What are these and should i be concerned?

Attachments

• IMAG0453.jpg
    IMAG0453.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 48

leverhead

They look like Aphids to me. Search the site for "Aphids" and "soap solution", a pretty mild solution of soap and water will get them.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah those tiny white flies are all i get around here, they sure multiply fast too. Soapy water doesn't seem to agree with them

marksctm

The ones I had were black. I started seeing about the 3rd or 4th week in the ground and they were only on the top, young tender part of the plant. As the leaf got about as big as a paper plate, I didn't seem to see as many.
Now whether or not it effect the taste of the tobacco, only time will tell. I sure hope not.

PICT0042_0010.jpgPICT0042_0007.jpg

BarG

Founding Member
Believe it or not I had the same fungus gnats that destroyed a bunch of sprouts have been all over a few remaining plants sucking the leaves dry and leaving tiny black spots. I tore a florida sumatra shade grown out of the ground and chuncked it.[the only shade grown by my porch plant] because The leaves were ruined. They have been on my last 2 remaining Golden wilts also. Next year any sprouts put out doors will be covered from those little ####@@@##%%^& itches

marksctm

Is that what they are? fungus gnats! I don't know what I'm going to do next year, man to think of spraying every leaf? not going to happen! I did see lady bugs on them, and some kind of bee like thing eating them, and the dam sparrows tore the hell out of the leaf in the mornings trying to get to them, but nothing could put a dent in them.

BarG

Founding Member
The fungus gnat almost looks like like a baby mosquito. I thought that just their larvae were bad for killing sprouts. Them suckers infested a plant and left tiny black spots in sufficient amounts to render the leaves questionable. The spots on your plants are bigger. On mine they are like thousands of tiny pinprick black spots.

ArizonaDave

What are these and should i be concerned?

Aphids. Those are common. A few drops of Dawn dish soap in a spray bottle with water will cause them to stick to the leaf and die. They do thin out the leaf a little, and cause wrapper grade leaf to become filler, so controlling them is key. Look for hornworms next. There are a lot of older threads on here that deal with both. Good looking leaf btw.

Status
Not open for further replies.