Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

A video Review Of A Plug I had sampled!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shawn622

Thanks Sean. I just received a great bunch of tobacco today from Kentucky. I mean this stuff is fantastic. I will be pressing 5 pounds this week. Have a navy style flake and an aromatic flake flavored with a pralines and creme sauce. I;m making another Vaper and straight virginia too. I love this new hobby!!!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
is this your baccy he's smoking.?

or is that you in the video,?

Shawn622

That is my tobacco, but not me. He is a Guy at Pipes magazine that does a lot reviews. He is real big on Balkan blends, so I made one for him. I am the guy who commented first. My youtube name is loneodis. I have other good reviews on Pipes Magazine of my Virginia based plugs. I hope to find a company like C&D to give me a job. Doubt that happes. I am going to have to get a processors permit in order to legally sell my plugs. There are many people wanting me to sell the my creations, but until I find out about the processors permit, I'm playing it safe and just giving it to certain people I like.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Really cool Shawn, i'd love to see your process. Sounds like you are developing quite a following, and by the reviews it doesn't look like its by luck or mistake, these people are really loving your creations!

If you ever do get legalese worked out I'd love to purchase some, I bought a pipe just to sample things but I gravitated to almost exclusively pipe now. It sounds like you might be snapped up soon by one of these companies, but if you dont, these are the days where any guy can be huge due to the internet. You dont need to advertise, 50 million people saying great things about you is way better than any ad.

And I gotta say Shawn O'Day sounds like a fancy tobacco name already! "Shawn O'Day Irish Plug"

I'd smoke it. :)

Best of luck to you man, i did a little poking around and it looks like we're seeing the start of a celebrity here.

Get your permit to sell, open a store front and see if you dont make more money working for yourself than for the man, but if it doesnt work out that well having your own name brand already established among those in the know would absolutely slay the competition on a resume.

Seanz

I for one would be interested in buying it when you get going, As i am mainly a flake, rope plug twist block etc etc etc kinda guy,
So if your looking to sell some "incense" :D Send me a line lol

Shawn622

Wow SmokesAhoy, Thanks man. I just got some more good press last night. I really hope and pray this thing takes off. I am going straight from here to apply for my processors permit. I just popped a Burley plug made with Larry's aged Burley ad flavored with a pralines and cream casing out of the press. It is setting up now. Because I can't afford a real press, I use caveman tools to get it done. I alwars have to cut 3/4" of it back from around the edges where the tobacco squeezes out of the sides and does not pack. I think I have an investor ready to drop a little cash on a press. We will see. Shawn, I will send you something to try at the end of the week. I have 4 blends ready for the press, but one press. lol thanks again for all your support.

oldsouth

Banned
Hey Shawn622,

Good luck with everything! I watched the video and seems you have the knack for good blending - cool meerschaum that guy was smoking too. When I smoke a pipe, I use a long, Native AMerican style "peace pipe" that I've been carving on for about 20 years off and on. I started with a big chunk of pipe-stone that I found beside the road somewhere around WV or PA - still too chunky for anything other than home use. Plug seems to burn much better in it than flake. So, I'm looking forward to enjoying your success! BTW, once you get your processor's permit, would you mind posting about how that went, the steps followed and how hard it was to obtain? Of course, I'm just getting started, but if things work out, maybe I'll want to sell some cigars one day!

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
that guy in the video is creepy as hell.

and i watched some of his other video's.

''death metal''????????? i like him<

Shawn622

Sorry I haven't answered in a few. I was really sick. Wound up in the hospital. I messed up 3 pounds of tobacco. I went to a person, not a site, for the tobacco and got some really nice leaf. I made 3 plugs only to find out later that the leaf was way different than what I had been using and I can't use it. It is suppose to be Virginia bright leaf, and I believe it is, It was just different genetics. It has a really harsh and earthy taste when you light it. It is weird because the Burley I got from the same guy has the same earthy taste and harshness to it. I'm not well versed in leaf, but I am inclined to believe that since The harshness and off taste are only present during the first quarter of the bowl, that there is a fungus or mold on it. I really like the guy I got it from too. If any of you know what this could be I would love to know so I don't spend hours processing my product only to find that it is the leaf. It is my fault. I should have smoked it alone prior to processing, not after. Rookie mistake. But I am a rookie.

I bet that pipe is really cool Oldsouth and I will post about getting my processors permit. I decided to refine my product before I apply. The whole 3 pound blunder really got me thinking. I need consistency before I drop money on a permit. I need a better press too. I keep breaking the one I made too.

Chicken, That guy is very cool. He is a Morticion by trade, but works in a hospital. He wrights reviews that really stand out. He single handedly made Home and Hearth Black House sell out in one day with his review. I was blown away when he did the video review. I knew I made a pretty unique and awesome plug. I just wanted to see if it was me or if it was really good so I sent him a sample and told him that if he liked it, to name it. He liked it and named it. I got all the leaf but the Latakia for it from leaf only and they are using the video on their sight. Here is the funniest part of that plug. I was making a Dark Fired/Virginia plug like MacBarens Old Dark Fired and in the second pressing I added some old oriental I had laying around and it was nasty. So I was about to throw it out. Then I remembered I had 6oz of Latakia laying around so I heated up the bad plug and took it apart. A real pain in the ass. Thyen I added the latakia and sprayed it with the secret ingredient. I knew as soon as I smelled the mixture that I had a winner. I pressed it and it came out fantastic. So with the bad 3 pounds of plug I have, I am making Cavendish from it. I hate to waste. I have 1 pound steamed and drying already. Hopefully the steam will kill that off flavor. ttyl

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Shawn,
It may be that both the VA Bright Leaf and the Burley are only color-cured and not sufficiently air-cured. It is unfortunate that "Virginia Bright Leaf" is a varietal name of a flue-cure variety, but to get what you expect for pipe blending, the "Virginia Bright Leaf" needs to undergo flue-curing. If not flue-cured, then the VA Bright can be either kilned a month, or air-cured for several years, to yield what is often referred to in pipe circles as "matured Virginia," which is a deeper brown or red.

Bob

Shawn622

I see. So bacically I am SOL. lol I would really like to get my hands on a variety of Virginia leaf. I cant use blending tobacco to get the results I want. I'll figure something out. Thanks Bob.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I see. So bacically I am SOL. lol I would really like to get my hands on a variety of Virginia leaf. I cant use blending tobacco to get the results I want. I'll figure something out. Thanks Bob.
I don't think so. The way I read what Bob said was the harshness may go away with long aging or a month in a kiln. Being "blocked" shouldn't make much difference.

John

oldsouth

Banned
I bet that pipe is really cool Oldsouth and I will post about getting my processors permit. I decided to refine my product before I apply. The whole 3 pound blunder really got me thinking. I need consistency before I drop money on a permit. I need a better press too. I keep breaking the one I made too.

Good luck with everything and I'm looking forward to reading about your progress. After reading your post and looking at some beautiful old meerschaums I'm inspired to work on my pipe some more - I'll post some photos when it is finished and I look forward to buying some of your blends when you are ready.

Status
Not open for further replies.