Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Temp and humidity in curing barn

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinconco

Hi folks, this is my first year growing and I’m finding out that the growing isn't necessarily the hard part. I grew about 180 plants (Maya Mopan) and over the last few weeks I’ve been learning about color curing... the hard way. Fortunately I have enough leaves to make a few mistakes without compromising the bulk of the harvest (hopefully). It seems that the Mopan takes longer to mature than my growing / curing season would like. I've put it up in a old sheep shed strung on wires and so far it seems to be doing OK. I've harvested in 3 stages and the first stage had optimal curing conditions and is yellowing fine but now cold weather is upon me and I'm not sure what to do. I have put a wood stove in the bottom floor of the barn and it usually heats the top to around 65 - 75 degrees on a 45 degree day. The problem is that the dry heat lowers the humidity. I've tried spraying the wood floor down with water but it doesn't seem to help much. I'm open to any suggestions on how to proceed on these very cool days and nights. Would I be better with the low temps and higher humidity?

DSCN1288.jpg

DSCN1282.jpg

DSCN1286.jpg

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Welcome vinconco to FTT.

Knowing where you are located will help us help you. You can add a general location to your profile by clicking on your login name.

A big tray of water on top of your stove might help but it is a pain to keep full. Your soaking the floors is a good idea.

The commercial guy I know uses propane to heat his barns It is open flame burners, well protected. The combustion adds moisture. The dirt floors are always damp and the helps. His barns are old and he has insulated the heck out of them.

John

Whalen

vinconco - I am just the other side of that river from you, in Sharpsburg Maryland. Looks like you are getting the hang of it. You have been buisy! The first batch looks to be curing pretty good, I am on frost watch right now with my humble crop. Let me know if you want to commiserate! It is all about the curing! Looks like you are within miles of me.

Whalen

Forgot to mention, I have a pretty good amount of tobacco from members here, some nice examples. Let me know if you ever want to take a look at what the store has to offer, for blending or whatnot.

Whalen

Wholeleaf! No need for any other IMHO! And some of the members private stash. I have been simply stunned at the great quality of the tobacco I have gotten from Don.

I am otherwise impartial. The bright leaf Virginia is my prize stash, OMG it is wonderful. I blend tobacco for my wife, I use Snus and snuff, so I have various different tobacco needs, and I am two years into growing and curing. As you are beginning to see the growing is only the first part, I personally think the real art is the cure, not to belittle the fine grower's here. Tobacco is a passion for me and I have slowly begun to see the light, but the quality that I have seen in the cures of the tobacco i have is impressive. Just thought how rare to find a close, fellow grower was, and would like to be able to help in any way.

What is the use having an obscure hobby if most people think your nuts. We are not crazy at all, just on a different path. Mt tobacco crop is also located in Jefferson county, I live in the forest on the river (Potomac) and have no sunlight. I got a freeze scare yesterday, but it looks like we will be ok. I am growing mostly a Louisianan Perique this year, not for the process, but it is the hardiest plant I have grown here yet. I had a solid foot of growth last week alone. I also have some Turtle foot and Burley. My Rustica got eaten by a goat! I wonder how that went over? Best of luck! And that sheep barn looks familiar!

Whalen

I just saw the Highlands in your Signature, bit north, hope you miss the freeze, but the air will be suddenly very dry after this rain passes.

vinconco

Yeah, I'm looking at the forecast now and after this rain it will clear out for several days. I guess I'll leave the windows open at night and close it up during the day until everything is brown. I had some leaves last month hanging in an open shed and they took weeks to yellow and finally brown. No matter how dry it got they stayed yellow and moist. Others hanging in the same shed would dry green right away.

The sheep barn used to have a 1927 chevy truck parked beside it, for about 30 years

Status
Not open for further replies.