Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Burley 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
I was wondering Did you start these plants inside and how old are they ? This may be why they bloomed early .
The first two rows were transplanted May 10th Green Brior Burley and Burley 21 the next two rows were transplanted May 20th
The last two rows were transplanted May 26th all the seeds were started March 12 They were transplanted per size IE the biggest first.
The seeds were started inside then moved to the greenhouse and out side in the ground from there

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
It looks like you did everything right. Maybe the difference from house to green house is what confused the plants?...I don't know. I would try to start them in the green house next year though.

YTB is also a Burley type and it only grows 3' high before it flowers.

dkh2

They were started in one of those 72 station mini green houses with the round peat moss pads things.
And a clear plastic roof type affair under a grow light and were put in the green house with out heat after thinning to one plant per pad.
The Burley types grew the best and fastest and were transplanted first. and so on

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Well, with that being known, the only logical conclusion is the introduction of the grow light is the only inconsistent variable with all commercially produced seedlings.

I've only started seeds using natural sunlight augmented with a space heater or two to keep temps above freezing. I've also never had an issue with early blooming or bolting tobacco plants, but come to think of it...if someone where to research all of the posts on HTGT, I'd bet you'd find the common denominator of the "early flower syndrome" (or EFS) to be connected to the use of artificial light...., but I'll only bet a nickle.

Last edited:

dkh2

The light was only used for about a week then I put the plants in a window for about 3 weeks
after that they went out to the green house for 3 weeks and 5 weeks and 6 1/2 weeks
The grow light was used til they sprouted.
It's the weather since.....Warm then cold then warm so far according to the news we have only
had two days straight in a row with sunshine with overcast days in between most of the time it's
partly sunny until today actually with 15 days of straight sunshine forecast
5id9J.jpg

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'll weigh in on the grow light issue. This year, late in the season, FmGrowit sent me some Bursa seeds. Like I said it was late in the planting season so I went to Home Depot and bought a 2 ft long grow light. Never having used one before I did a little research and found the grow light that Home Depot sells produces light in the spectrum that induces flowering (it was a Phillips 6500K light). Luckily I found this out before any seeds sprouted. I think what you want for vegetative growth is a light with a spectrum somewhere around 3000K or a little less. And for what its worth, I will be harvesting my Bursa in about 3 weeks!...smoke on!

Randy B

dkh2

Well three plants out of 60 developing flowers isn't from a grow light that have in the ground for 51 days
and under sun shine or cloudy sun for 102 days total
It has to be the plant it self. The seed came from last years plants that were grew in California.
And this weather here so far must be foreign to it. I mean that plant sticks out like a sore thumb.
The rest of the plants are getting a huge base of leaves and no flowers except two more of the California plants.

BarG

Founding Member
Does any one have any good pics of immediately before and after topping. Would be interesting to see what you mean by topping down to specific leaf size. Im a beginner so I thought you just pinched of the buds.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
That's a good sized bag. I've gotten a couple of years out of the same bag, but after that, they start to degrade pretty fast. Perfect timing on the bagging also, but you can always pinch off any open flowers if you miss bagging the flower head before any flowers open.

dkh2

The stuff is kind of flimsy I made it that big on purpose to let it move around and grow.
The Tulle is cheap I only got two made at the moment but there real quick to make.
That plant is averaging over two inches a day in height growth. I all ready re positioned the bag up
the stalk once because of growth.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
The tobacco appears as though it was carefully arranged on risers by a choirmaster. Very pretty. You'll have to get a shot with the sunflower shining above in its full glory.

Bob

dkh2

6 rows
2 rows planted at a time 10 days apart
3 sets of planting
If you look at the closes row there is one small plant on the left side 4 plants in from the left
I stepped on that one several times by accident the easiest one not to step on and I stepped
on it .... go figure. It keeps rebounding though.

Chicken

redneck grower
Founding Member
it is odd that your plants havent got no bigger/taller than that,,,,is the soil deeply turned over,, i know a baccy root runs on top of the ground,,,,not a taproot type root system...

i have grown things under lights before,,, your typical cfl grow light,, to a full blown 400 watt h.i.d./h.p.s. system,,,im a beliver in starting my garden early,, and using about 200 small planting pots to do this,,,,

some plants do get a shock,, when moved from artificial sunlight,,, too sunlight,,,

but thats normally gone within 2 weeks,,,,on any given plant,,,

so why your plants aint huge,???? good question,,,

workhorse_01

I'm in the right business if it is real. I still dont believe it ! I lean toward the evidence that it's polar shift IE Tampa international airport runway number change. One day it'll be snowing in the keys.

Status
Not open for further replies.