Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Burley 21

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Was it colder in FL? Our snow didn't stick for more than a couple days up here and the snow blower wasn't used once.

workhorse_01

No not colder in Fl. yet, but there's no such thing as global warming (in my opinion). There is a thing called polar shift not fast but the poles are moving s. pole towards bermuda and n.pole towards japan, so much so they had to change the degree numbers on TIA landing strips. Aint that just like a politician if i cant figure out something i'll fabricate something like global warming. LOL. Check me out you'll see.

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
The weather forecast for May 2012 in my area
The 8th is still on for transplanting outside 5 days from now.
Maybe earlier if the weather goes as predicted

PGgMg.jpg

dkh2

Southern Washington State I can see Oregon from my
That weather forecast is the same as it has been for the last 40 years that I know of.
You can see the mountains across the Columbia River on the Oregon side and there is
a big bare snow patch shaped like a rabbit and every year people here plant there gardens when
the rabbit patch is melted away and year after year it's the same right around May 5th
to May 10th a 5 day window where there is a change to stable warm weather.

workhorse_01

God has answered my prayers look at this beautiful heat !
Weather Station
Waycross (KAYS)

Elevation
141 ft

Now
clear.gif

Clear

Temperature
90 °F
Feels Like 92 °F

Wind(mph)

Sunrise / Set
6:42 AM
8:10 PM

Moon
Waxing Gibbous
More Astronomy

Tonight
nt_partlycloudy.gif
66 °F
Partly Cloudy

Tomorrow
chancetstorms.gif
91 °F
Chance of T-storms 20% chance of precipitation

Tomorrow Night
nt_chancetstorms.gif
68 °F

Saturday
chancetstorms.gif
95 | 70 °F

Sunday
partlycloudy.gif
93 | 68 °F
Partly Cloudy

Monday
chancetstorms.gif
90 | 70 °F
Chance of T-storms 60% chance of precipitation

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
I was for a time ago reading about some interesting old Burley's. And BURLEY#21 was one of them so I will post a answer sent from ARS-GRIN (Jessica thanks):

"Hi Hasse Sorry it has taken me a while to get around to responding but we have been very busy planting the last couple weeks. Burley 21 is considered "high nicotine". There are also low intermediate (LI) and high intermediate (HI) lines that fall between these. Many years ago they found that alkaloid production seemed to be controlled by two major genetic factors (they called them nic1 and nic2). LA burley 21 is recessive (nic1, nic2) and Burley 21 is dominant (NIC1, NIC2), with the intermediate lines being (nic1, NIC2 = "HI" or "MA") and (NIC1, nic2 = "LI" or "LMA")."

-I hope someone think this "thing" is interesting..

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Does anyone have this original seed? All I see are the intermediate varieties.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
He has the newer intermediate variety. Looks like everyone does. Oh well not really important heh

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
SmokesAhoy: Yes he have HI BURLEY 21. https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?1406278 I guess you looking for this:https://npgsweb.ars-grin.gov/gringlobal/accessiondetail.aspx?1447335 I would not say THE newer variant, it's one of the most loved Burley variants back in the day's. And it's happen to also be interesting to play genetic with. So there is alot of Burley 21 types, some of them seems to only have been used to make other Burley types. If I ain't wrong Ars-Grin have five different Burley 21.

-The thing is I don't think you would notice any different between em if you would grow em side by side (and smoke the tobacco in a similar mix).

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Skychaser's HI Burley 21 (PI 511342) was assigned a Tobacco Cultivar number (TC) of TC 47.
A Burley 21 (PI 522599) from Rhodesia was assigned TC 8, which is a very early cultivar assignment, and is probably the original Burley 21. While "Observations" that include alkaloid levels are available for the former, they are missing from the latter.

Bob

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
Skychaser's HI Burley 21 (PI 511342) was assigned a Tobacco Cultivar number (TC) of TC 47.
A Burley 21 (PI 522599) from Rhodesia was assigned TC 8, which is a very early cultivar assignment, and is probably the original Burley 21. While "Observations" that include alkaloid levels are available for the former, they are missing from the latter.

Bob
That's very interesting (I think) even if I don't putting much attention on the Alkaloids in the Observations, I look on it. But the thing is that the same variant can have different levels, and I can't say that the one I grow follow any of them. So I am most happy with know if a variant produces high or low level of different Alkaloids.
That also one of the reason that I growing more than one variant.

But some variants are really hard to tell if that or that are the "original".

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Weird, I did a search for burley 21 and it only returned 1 result, how are you searching?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Thank you, I'm going to bookmark that. Lately when I search it is on a new looking engine that doesn't return results like this one.

Hasse SWE

Founding Member
That's great to hear.
-But I don't think you will find a true original plant of it. The thing is it was sent to a test station in Tennessee as early as 1955 they shall have done alot of test grow on it and then finally let it out on the market 1960.

It's seems like it was a start of something big, a lot of farmers had big problem with wildfire back then and Burley 21 was the first variant with resistance. So I understand if you want to grow the original. But also alot of variants have been made with help of it and alot of em shall become very similar to it (and trust me sometimes that is the closest you can come).

Alot of things happen between 1955 (0r 1960) and 2016. Just look at you self..

Status
Not open for further replies.