Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

know a good price on ammo?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
Yes, check your state, county, city laws. Most states allow long gun firearm sales within state (both seller & buyer are residents of the state, i.e. not across state line) between individuals, without going thru a FFL or the NISC background check. Long gun sales across state lines usually require reporting per BATFE rules.
A lot of sellers may ask for ID (driver's license or such) and want a signed bill-of-sale. Nothing wrong with that, it is just for their protection, in case the gun is used in a crime, they have proof that they sold it, and to whom. But the only record is that bill-of-sale, no reporting to the State or feds.

Local gun shows are also a great place to purchase a long guns. Ask the seller! But recognise that almost all table sellers at gun show are FFL dealers, and are required to report and do the background check. But there may be individuals there trying to sell or trade a firearm - they are the ones you want to get with.

Now, concealable weapons (handguns), that is a whole different situation. Feds required full reporting and background checks, and maybe your State too, if you buy from a FFL dealer.
Some states allow handgun sales between private individuals, without reporting to the ATF. I know MO does, and maybe WY does also - need to ask. I doesn't hurt to ask a gun shop, even though they'll know they won't be getting the sale, or ask a gun show seller - they know!
Now, 'gifting' or selling any firearm between known relations, does not require reporting, even across state lines - so if you have a cousin, in-law, etc who wants to get rid of a firearm, beg him to let you have it.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I go to quite a few gun shows, usually in VA or PA becasue MD sucks. I would not buy a gun like that (anymore) at a gun show. The BATF has nothing better to do than go after law abiding gun owners. If you buy a gun at a gun show without doing the paper work and one of the BATF agents catches you, you'd be better off if you had been caught with 50 pounds of crack instead of a gun you were going to use for self defense.

He should be okay with the .45 as long as he bought the gun from an individual that resides in his state, even at a gun show. Buying from a licensed dealer anywhere requires paperwork.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
It would be wise to check with your state laws. In MD you have to go through a gun dealer (and pay a fee) even if you are buying a gun from your own brother. Then you have to wait 2 weeks for the State Police to do a background check. You also have to have a Gun Safety Card that states you took a safety course on line. Violate anyone of these and they will try to nail you to the wall.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It would be wise to check with your state laws. In MD you have to go through a gun dealer (and pay a fee) even if you are buying a gun from your own brother. Then you have to wait 2 weeks for the State Police to do a background check. You also have to have a Gun Safety Card that states you took a safety course on line. Violate anyone of these and they will try to nail you to the wall.

JBD is right.

BarG

Founding Member
Now why would I want to buy a licenced firearm when all the indications are leaning to the criminals owning guns over everyday citezens. Granted we still have our rights but every nutcase out there makes it easier to pass legislation on regs. and restrictions. Thats why we need them [the nutcases] and because we can.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I found a good way to save on ammo kinda by accident. I got a class 03 curios and relics FFL license so I could buy old guns off gunbroker and have them shipped to my house. I call them redneck gold. Cost $30.00 for three years. I just have to keep my own logbook of transactions but don't have to send in paperwork. Midway and Brownell's offer discounts to FFL holders even C&R licenses. Dealers charge anywhere from $20.00 to $40.00 for transfers on guns so buying one gun and not having to pay a dealer a transfer fee pays for the license. And I've saved over the price of the license on one order from Midway or Brownells on gun parts, accessories or ammo. That one license has saved me a boatload of money in the past two years and I have one more year before I have to renew it. http://www.atf.gov/firearms/faq/curios-relics.html

Ishi

+1 I am on my 3rd renewal. Only thing that keeps me out of the poor house is that a lot of guns can not be shipped to California also all pistols have to go through a class 1 and pay the 35.00 DROS
(background check{TAX} )
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.