Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

How to handle kilned leaves

Status
Not open for further replies.

BarG

Founding Member
What is the best way to handle kilned leaves?

Really my question should be what is the best way to store kilned leaves.

Edit; Different methods of kilning will require different methods of storage for individuals?

BarG

Founding Member
I placed my leaves in my kiln all with the midstem intact. After 3 weeks I destemmed all of the leaves. I noticed it was easier due to the high case. Because I realized it needed to be done for my personal stash.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
BarG, If I have wrapper leaves I smooth them out flat and store them in a plastic container. Filler tobacco, pipe tobacco and cigarette tobacco I just pack the hands into big plastic boxes with lids. I try to store in a medium to light case. It's real easy if I need some in the dead of winter and the hands are dry. I just open the lid, spritz the hands on top of the pile with a little water, put the lid on and come back in a few hours to nice soft hands of tobacco. Your situation is a little different though due to the massive quantity (compared to my 130 plants) of tobacco you grew. You might want to build a tobacco baler and press your tobacco into 30 to 50 lb blocks. You could then wrap them in plastic.

Really, it comes down to this. What's the best way that you can store tobacco, not have it mold and not get so brittle that it will get destroyed. If you have a barn you could probably just hang all your tobacco and make sure wind doesn't whip through.

Randy B

BarG

Founding Member
BarG, If I have wrapper leaves I smooth them out flat and store them in a plastic container. Filler tobacco, pipe tobacco and cigarette tobacco I just pack the hands into big plastic boxes with lids. I try to store in a medium to light case. It's real easy if I need some in the dead of winter and the hands are dry. I just open the lid, spritz the hands on top of the pile with a little water, put the lid on and come back in a few hours to nice soft hands of tobacco. Your situation is a little different though due to the massive quantity (compared to my 130 plants) of tobacco you grew. You might want to build a tobacco baler and press your tobacco into 30 to 50 lb blocks. You could then wrap them in plastic.

Really, it comes down to this. What's the best way that you can store tobacco, not have it mold and not get so brittle that it will get destroyed. If you have a barn you could probably just hang all your tobacco and make sure wind doesn't whip through.

Randy B
Randy, I bet my 400 plants don't weigh out to 75 -85 lb. I agree with the storage barn. I confiscated our outbuilding this year for the cigar varietys. It has 1 window that i can have some control over moisture.I'm so careless after a period of time my tobacco could not be my main consideration. I am trying to keep from hurting my self. You leave your wrapper leaves layed flat, I like that.
A side note, I want to leave my leave hanging till needed, but after kilning I want to make a small press in the house for flattening stems and veins. I have used my outdoor one and it works great for that.

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
After curing and drying, I de-rib the leaf - no benefit in keeping the midribs at this point. My leaf is stacked in neat bales, with just hand pressure, then stored or kilned & stored. The bales are sized to fit my kiln. I store the leaf in FmGrowit's vapor-proof bags, in low to medium-case. The bags are easy to remove the leaf as needed, and re-seal. I generally take a few months supply, shred, blend and store ready-to-smoke stuff again in smaller bags.

The nicest thing about the bags is that they can be safely stored about anywhere - shed, garage, closet, attic, and in any stage of cured, kilned, shredded. My favorite storage spot now is the corner of the living room -- gives me bragging rights for visitors.

Status
Not open for further replies.