Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Changes in flue cured tobacco as it ages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have always thought that the so called "Mature Virginia" used in commercial pipe blends was made from air-cured, aged bright leaf. That may or may not be correct. In the past, my air-cured, aged bright leaf seemed to come close.

Yesterday, I shredded some of the flue-cured-then-kilned bright leaf (Southern Beauty, from leverhead), and smoked a bowl of it straight. It definitely caused less tongue bite than straight flue-cured leaf ("lemon Virginia"), but was still a bit acidic. Its pouch aroma and reddish color suggested what is often sold as "red mature Virginia." There is definitely more sweetness than is found in aged, air-cured bright leaf.

So I would say that flue-curing, followed by kilning, creates yet another interesting ingredient for pipe blending.

Bob

notcrack

I don't mean to butt in to this conversation, but I'm being held prisoner in my office while my wife naps (she's on nights tomorrow so needs to prepare) and I've just found a jar of cigarettes I made about 8 months ago from Canadian Flue and Oriental. They were literally unsmokeable when I made them with a horrible grass/hay like taste and a repugnant after taste, but out of desperation of a nicotine hit I just lit one and they have become a truly nice cigarette. Reminds me of a cigarette I used to smoke in France (the name alludes me), but really very pleasant.
I think ageing the Flues can give a really nice taste that is almost identical to commercial brands.

Anyway thanks for the ever informative read guys.

Joe

ne3go

One big question: Is cigar tobacco (air-cured then fermented) more "healthier" than cigarette tobacco (flue-cured), if both inhaled?
I googled it, and the answer is, that cigars are more dangerous than cigarettes, because of the fermentation!Even if you don't inhale the smoke!Didn't find any scientific research, just the answer!

I see that you people read scientific papers about curing, fermentation, enzymes, bacterias, chemical reactions etc. Did you find any evidence about which method of smoking is less dangerous?

leverhead

They were literally unsmokeable when I made them with a horrible grass/hay like taste and a repugnant after taste, but out of desperation of a nicotine hit I just lit one and they have become a truly nice cigarette.

I've noticed a similar thing. The blend I've been making into cigarettes, about 80% flue-cured, becomes much milder a week or so after shredding. I would leave it outside here in a colander to air out. It's been taking longer lately, the daytime temps have come down from the mid 90's to the 70's and the humidity has come way down with the wind out of the North. This weeks batch I left in a zip-lock in the sun and it smoothed out great.

notcrack

I've noticed a similar thing. The blend I've been making into cigarettes, about 80% flue-cured, becomes much milder a week or so after shredding. I would leave it outside here in a colander to air out. It's been taking longer lately, the daytime temps have come down from the mid 90's to the 70's and the humidity has come way down with the wind out of the North. This weeks batch I left in a zip-lock in the sun and it smoothed out great.

I store all of my tobacco in my loft/attic. Whoever did the conversion (I have my office up there as well) didn't insulate it so in the winter is pissing cold and in the summer insanely hot, but my tobacco seems to age nicely up there. I've got some really young brightleaf up here that has been sat in create for the last year or so and it has improved leaps and bounds. It's not as good as Don's, but it has it's charms. I might start ageing every cigarette I make. The ones I mentioned in my last post are so good it hurts me that I only have 7 more.

leverhead

Awesome PDF leverhead love the language is easily understood
Now I have an Idea of what it is I have been and what it is I should maybe be doing!
Thank You Sir. for the great share ;)

You're welcome, I think big tobacco should be good for something.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
makes me feel good about that huge order i made from wlt that i have sitting around in the vapor proof bags. one down, plenty more to go, just getting better the longer i can keep my mitts off it hehe.

AmaxB

makes me feel good about that huge order i made from wlt that i have sitting around in the vapor proof bags. one down, plenty more to go, just getting better the longer i can keep my mitts off it hehe.
Yes sir
The VA Red shredded just sitting in the baggy is improving smoked some today and it has mellowed...

leverhead

Thanks for this very informative link. Now I wonder, has the flu cured leaf that we buy oline been fermented?

CT

Your welcome! I'm not sure that I like the term "Fermented". "Artificial aging" fits better because the moisture content, temperature and time are more deliberate. AmaxB has done some artificial aging on flue-cured leaf with interesting results, http://fairtradetobacco.com/threads/4256-A-Kiln-Tobacco-the-Process-and-Why?p=75565&viewfull=1#post75565. I've had the good fortune to try some, the smell, texture and color seem to be the biggest changes. The leaf I tried had a very strong chocolate like smell that has calmed down in a couple of months to something that comes closer to brown sugar. The texture is leathery and flexible even at 50% RH in the room, the color is a dark brown. The flavor is mild smoked straight and blends like other flue-cured without the treatment, just milder.

Status
Not open for further replies.