Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Aegean Region Strains (Izmir)

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Aegen Region is located in the west part of the country: bounded by Aegean Sea (Ege Denizi) on the west; Marmara Region on the north; Mediterranean Region on the south & southwest; and the Central Anatolia Region on the east.

250px-Latrans-Turkey_location_Aegean_Region.svg.png

This regions climatic and soil conditions are exceptional for oriental tobacco farming. Already this region has largest tobacco production area in Turkey. Aegean tobacco mostly known as Izmir in global markets. In this region, the most outstanding issue is obtaining uniform and standart tobaccos. There is no other strains grown in Aegean Region, just Izmir and it's sub-strains.

Izmir strain represents all specifications of the oriental tobaccoss which are;

- small sized leaves
- fine texture
- vivid colors vary from yellow to orange (and brown)
- mild smoke
- distinctive taste and nice flavor

resim_054.jpg

Izmir tobacco has "zenepsiz" stalkless basma type small leaves. The leaf size is wanted to be about 7-15 cm ( app. 2.75 - 6 in).
The general rule is, leaf length must be 1.5 to 2 times of the leaf width. Izmir tobacco plants' heights are between 0.60 to 1.20 m.
Leaves are fine ribbed, curly and very durable against mechanical impacts. Some leaves may have brown spots on their tip, this shows the nobility of the plant. Tobaccos are low combustible, sweet and aromatic. For these reasons Izmir is widely used in oriental and American blends. Izmir can be used for reducing harshness of the strong blends or improving aromas of the neutral tobaccos. Also This strain can be used in pipe tobacco blends. 90% of the Izmir tobaccos are exported to the global markets.

In some conditions like over irrigation and fertilization, leaf length may be bigger. Although their yield is high, quality is low. These tobaccos have harsh smoke with neutral taste.

These tobaccos are planted after rainy winters and they mature with hot and dry weather. Hot and dry climate is necessary for limiting the growth and drying. In Turkey this climate specificatins are available in Aegean region. Also the best oriental tobaccos are grown in this region. Generally irrigation is not possible so water need is satisfied only with rains.

Izmir tobaccos are adapted to Aegean regions climate. This region has rainy winters, medium rainy springs and hot and dry summers.

The best aromatic flavored Izmir tobaccos are grown in Akhisar and Gavurkoy with shallow, rocky, non-productive, slant, reddish and grey coloured mountain slope soils. Very sunny and hot weather helps plant to produce small-sized leaves with resins which create aromatic flavor.

In rainless years plants can be irrigated once or twice (if possible). Rich and heavy soils cause improper colored, oderless and harsh tobaccos.

Planting density in orientel type tobaccos are 2 to 3 times denser than flue-cured or burley types.

Izmir strain has sub-strains like Ege, Saribaglar, Karabaglar, Ozbas, Otan, Akhisar, Resatbey, Usturalı, Ligda, Milas, Kokulu and Çıtır. Because of the uniform agricultural lands in Aegean Region they both have similar caharacteristics like,

- small leaved
- stalkless (basma type)
- width/length of 1/2
- yellow and greenish yellow coloured
- fine ribbed
- sweet and aromatic taste

They have nicotine content of about 1% as low as 0.25%. Sugar contents are high (app. 15-21%) and proteine contents are low (app. 0.9-1.4%).

In Aegean Region, mountains are vertical to the sea, so there are very litte climate difference between coastal side and inner side. This situation brings the formation of identical tobaccos among the region.

s341.jpg

Akhisar

Akhisar is a tall plant with short leaves. Leaf density is high (average is 44 leaves per plant). Leaf is yaşmaklı and light green colored. It is a medium late riser variety also very resistant to blue mold and drought. Yield and quality of Akhisar is good. Name of this strain comes from the city Akhisar which is a district of Manisa.

Sarıbağlar

Sarıbaglar is not resistant to blue mold but its yield and quality is very good. This strain has high leaf density (30-50 leaves per plant). Its leaves are bellied, samll and light green. Saribaglar is a medium eraly riser strain also adoptation ability is good for different soil types in th region.

Usturalı

Usturalı is a medium tall plant with a medium density of leaves per plant. Leaf color is standart and light green. It's resistant to blue mold and drought. Also Usturali is one of the early riser sub-strains of Izmir. Yield and leaf quality is very good.
ustus.jpg

Reşatbey
Resatbey is a medium tall plant with a medium density of leaves per plant. Leaves are bellied. Leaf color is standart and light green. It's very resistant to blue mold and drought. Also Resatbey is the second (and the last) early riser sub-strain of Izmir. Yield and leaf quality is very good.
reat.jpg

Otan

Otan is a medium to tall plant with high leaf density (average 42). It's a medium early riser plant and very resistant to blue mold and drought. Yield and quality is good.

Özbaş

Ozbas name come from; öz: pure and baş: strain or race, so Özbaş means pure strain. Ozbas is medium tall with high leaf density. Leaf color is standart green, leaf form is yaşmaklı and bellied. Leaf texture is a little bit thicker compared to Karabağlar. Ozbas is very resistant to blue mold and drought. It' a medium early riser strain. Yield and quality is good.

Karabağlar

Karabaglar is older and the parental strain of most Izmir sub-varieties. The name of this strain came from a district of Izmir called Karabağlar. There is no tobacco production in Karabağlar district since 60s because of urbanization.

Liğda

Ligda tobaccos are similar to other varieties of Izmir but it has bigger leaves with finer texture. Also plants are taller. This variety is grown in Bayındır-Ödemiş-Tire triangle. This area is a highland and full of forests, so climate is milder.

For a better understanding of this regions tobacco, I prepared a map of tobacco growing areas in Aegean Region below.

Last edited by a moderator:

istanbulin

Founding Member
Facinating information!

I grew Karabaglar this year. It resembled Izmir but it grew to about 5 feet.

Taller than usual, but I think it was still in the limits. Your region is a little humid, it's normal. How was the leaves ? (quantity, size, ...)

istanbulin

Founding Member
This stuff is making me feel like a kid again! The old world in the 21st century, in pictures and words.

Actually, I didn't get exactly what you mean :)

But if I got it right, I want to say that I've learned English 45 years ago and my books are older as me too :)

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Taller than usual, but I think it was still in the limits. Your region is a little humid, it's normal. How was the leaves ? (quantity, size, ...)

A lot of leaves. I didn't count but I'd guess about 16-20. The leaves were small, about the size of Xanthi Yaka.

leverhead

What I mean is, this is like meeting and getting to talk to somebody you have only heard about. Tobacco from there is very different to me, I can only assume the reason is because it is thought about differently. Your English is excellent, I cannot imagine myself trying to learn Turkish. For me this is a great experience! Forgive me I mean no offense.

This was my first year growing tobacco, to my surprise, I found the small amount of Turkish/Oriental I grew to be the most interesting. The growth habits and then the smells through curing stand out. Next year I intend to grow allot more plants and varieties. Your posts are very interesting to me.

Steve

istanbulin

Founding Member
What I mean is, this is like meeting and getting to talk to somebody you have only heard about. Tobacco from there is very different to me, I can only assume the reason is because it is thought about differently. Your English is excellent, I cannot imagine myself trying to learn Turkish. For me this is a great experience! Forgive me I mean no offense.

This was my first year growing tobacco, to my surprise, I found the small amount of Turkish/Oriental I grew to be the most interesting. The growth habits and then the smells through curing stand out. Next year I intend to grow allot more plants and varieties. Your posts are very interesting to me.

Steve

I believe you're well-intentioned, of course no problem :) I'm glad if I could help anybody.

oldsouth

Banned
I just want to say that what you are doing is an incredible service. This will be an educational/informative reference for generations to come.

BarG

Founding Member
Very interesting post. I noticed on the leaf size it raises questions on how it is sold?
How is it that the farmers make their money?
By poundge or quality of leaves or by stalk position?

istanbulin

Founding Member
Very interesting post. I noticed on the leaf size it raises questions on how it is sold?
How is it that the farmers make their money?
By poundge or quality of leaves or by stalk position?

All tobacco leaves are sold by poundage (dry). There is a contract farming system since 2002 here. Before 2002 government used to buy all tobaccos grown and pay farmers according to the quality (generally they pay very low). After contract system, quality and the yield are pre-determined before planting. Farmers try to catch the quality which they promise to the company. Price is higher now.

This year 45000 US tons of dry Izmir tobacco leaves are produced in only one province (Denizli) in Aegean Region. Average production per farmer is 3.4 tons. This years crop has an average price of $ 4 per pound but general expenses (gas, labour costs and others) is $ 2.5 per pound so average net income (profit) of a farmer will be about $ 11-12 K which is very low even in Turkey. But I want to say that tobacco farms are located on the lands that any other agrıcultural plants can't grow. Most of the Aegean farmers have productive fileds that they can grow more valuable agricultural products.

Contrary to comman believe, there is very little price difference between leaves by stalk position, it's only because of labour costs (top leaves are tiny). If a farmer has a big family they prime upper leaves all together to profit moıre.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Interesting Good pics. As a suggestion, a scale like the dollar bill you used in an earlier post or a ruler would be useful.

John

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Hell john they look about 1" tall to me on my screen :p

Istanbulin, great and informative posts! I am growing the Izmir - Özbaş next season and am very pleased to see what I should expect.

istanbulin

Founding Member
Interesting Good pics. As a suggestion, a scale like the dollar bill you used in an earlier post or a ruler would be useful.

John

Hell john they look about 1" tall to me on my screen :p

Istanbulin, great and informative posts! I am growing the Izmir - Özbaş next season and am very pleased to see what I should expect.

They are all about 3 - 5 " lenght.

Status
Not open for further replies.