Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

New Fair Trade Tobacco video channel

notcrack

As Leverhead has said try to get a big bold link to the store where everyone can see it. On another point has anyone looked into starting a Facebook Page/group. I would be the first to hit the like button. remember it is worldwide.

Mark

I agree with a facebook page being useful, but they can be absolute bastards to use properly. I think the most useful way to promote this place would be a lot of on-topic videos, a few good quality images being placed on pininterest and really pimping the site on reddit. Then if everyone on here can answer a yahoo question a day there will be a whirlwind of new users and customers.

Is there any videos you would like to see Don?? BTW I'm not doing this for tobacco. If you ever wanted to send me something random/different I wouldn't complain, but I'd rather throw a little love to this place in anyway I can.

Joe

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
One thing I think should be stressed in all the videos is the statement "This is the way I do it, there are many other ways to do the same thing" I think we have to be careful putting out videos and giving the impression that my way is the only way to do it, all others are wrong.

notcrack

That's a fair point, but also aren't they there to sell product for Don?? I think I need some more guidelines etc. I'm just waiting for a few more ideas to come to me and I'll do another 5-10 over the next week. It's good practise for my own site.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
The videos will be a whole array of different ways to accomplish the same task. Kind of like cooking...there will be many recipes for the same dish.

The Fair Trade site is not for promoting the whole leaf site. Hopefully some sales will come indirectly, but the primary goal of the FTT video site will be to educate and promote how to grow, cure, process etc. tobacco.

If someone wants an idea of what to make a video of...there will likely be as many forum titles at the video site as there are here. You almost go right down the list of posts within each forum for ideas too.

It's fine to post any videos in this thread. I'll copy them and post them on YT when the page is ready.

notcrack

I'll keep that in mind Don. I think I'll redo a few more over the next few days and get them posted up for you.

I'll keep them pretty informal and rather than promoting your site I'll just talk my randomness at the camera. Lovely stuff.

leverhead

The Fair Trade site is not for promoting the whole leaf site. Hopefully some sales will come indirectly, but the primary goal of the FTT video site will be to educate and promote how to grow, cure, process etc. tobacco.

FTT is a great forum in it's own right, but recent history points out that there is a real world that makes FTT and this hobby possible. Some of us are retired, some drive trucks, I build tools, the list is long. For FTT to have a banner "Proudly Sponsored By" wouldn't bother me and if I ventured a guess, very many others, hell even "commercial free" PBS does it on their big ticket shows. As late as February, I said that I didn't want to grow tobacco, I knew it could suck me in. It's been the most satisfying and exasperating thing I've ever done, I don't think I'd be alone in saying it's not for everybody. I'm not to the point where I can grow and cure everything I consume, others will have total needs in order to enjoy a good smoke. You mentioned before that others have found a way to that market......this is your baby, almost all grown up. Go for it, there's no shame! You deserve to reap as much reward as anybody, with all of our blessings.

Steve

johnlee1933

Founding Member
What about an introductory video explaining, in a carefully worded statement, the goals/principals of the forum. It could be a place where we state that we present a recipe book/list of the many ways to do what we do. I would be happy to work with OldSouth (seems to have some qualifications) or anyone trying to provide the text for comments/changes. I worked for three years as a radio copywriter/announcer/DJ/newscaster/announcer and might have something to contribute. i still have a decent middle American voice and could do voice overs for mixing.

As I see it this would tell viewers what we are and what we are promoting. No nonsense, straight forward communication of our interests and goals. If it is desired we could mention (slant toward) what we like.

John

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I like the idea John. I can send you copies of the videos, you do the voice over, send them back to me and I'll post them on youtube. We can have several narrators, but it would be best to keep the number of voices on the videos to a minimum. I personally have a great voice...for a mime.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Better than having a face for radio Don.

I agree it would be a good idea. Multimedia seems to have a good pull to customers/interested persons. Even better if it's free like with youtube!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I like the idea John. I can send you copies of the videos, you do the voice over, send them back to me and I'll post them on youtube. We can have several narrators, but it would be best to keep the number of voices on the videos to a minimum. I personally have a great voice...for a mime.
Don, We have never spoken. PM me your phone # and you can judge for yourself.

John

BarG

Founding Member
What about an introductory video explaining, in a carefully worded statement, the goals/principals of the forum. It could be a place where we state that we present a recipe book/list of the many ways to do what we do. I would be happy to work with OldSouth (seems to have some qualifications) or anyone trying to provide the text for comments/changes. I worked for three years as a radio copywriter/announcer/DJ/newscaster/announcer and might have something to contribute. i still have a decent middle American voice and could do voice overs for mixing.

As I see it this would tell viewers what we are and what we are promoting. No nonsense, straight forward communication of our interests and goals. If it is desired we could mention (slant toward) what we like.

John
Thats A real good Idea John. If I ever made one I would scare anyone listening the way my voice sounds on tape or recordings.

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
A voice-over should not necessarily obliterate the sounds and voices that are contained in the original video, but rather enhance a thematic narrative.

Bob

johnlee1933

Founding Member
A voice-over should not necessarily obliterate the sounds and voices that are contained in the original video, but rather enhance a thematic narrative.

Bob
And most home videos are not enhanced at all by voice over. It has to be planned and integrated carefully to work.

J

notcrack

Is someone trying to say my voice is bad?? I'm hurt and offended :). I'll have to do one in my London accent.

oldsouth

Banned
Well..... I actually make half my living (as a musician) and get most of my dates with my voice. A lot of people say that my speaking voice is sort of like a southern Dean Martin (maybe Jim Reeves) - basically just a very smooth baritone. I don't have the equipment, but I'd be glad to read a script and send it in for someone else to mix.

Markw

I think the voice over is the way to go. notcrack don't forget in the UK when you shred tobacco Tax is due to be paid, just be careful not to shoot yourself in the foot. we all know what these Tax men are like, give them a little bit of rope and they will try to hang you with it.

Mark

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
Is someone trying to say my voice is bad?? I'm hurt and offended :). I'll have to do one in my London accent.

That's too funny...it sure sounded like that's where the road was leading...or coming from. It's not that we can't understand you. It's that we can't figure out what you're saying ;)...what the hell language is that anyway? ;)

notcrack

I think the voice over is the way to go. notcrack don't forget in the UK when you shred tobacco Tax is due to be paid, just be careful not to shoot yourself in the foot. we all know what these Tax men are like, give them a little bit of rope and they will try to hang you with it.

Mark

I won't have given them enough info to find me and if they do I won't pay anyway. I'm all for taxes, but they aren't charging me for finding a loop hole lol. I suppose I'll have to bow to public opinion and stop the voice overs. It makes my life a little easier. I'll post some up with a script and whoever wants can dub them for me. I'll do a London one though just for laughs.

notcrack

That's too funny...it sure sounded like that's where the road was leading...or coming from. It's not that we can't understand you. It's that we can't figure out what you're saying ;)...what the hell language is that anyway? ;)

I can never tell if you're serious or not lol. I'll get some minus sound up as soon as I can.