Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Seed pods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bika

In general how long does it take from the time seed pods to turn brown. Also what was the material called to incompas the seed pods to save them?

Thank you
Bika

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Re: Sead pods

Mature seed pods may require as little as a few weeks to fully dry, or as much as several months. I use Agribon-AG15 for sewing insect barrier bags for the blossom heads. The bags should be applied before the first blossom opens, or else open blossoms must be removed before the bag is put in place.

Once the pods begin to brown on the plant, you can cut the entire pod head from the stalk, leaving it inside the Agribon bag, and hang it inverted in a shed to complete drying.

Bob

Bika

IMAG0475.jpgIMAG0476.jpg

I took these to ask if these are at the point to be removed and hung upside down. If you notice one pod is starting to turn brown and these have been growing for about a month. Also if I crop the other ones will I get mot Tobbaco from them?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member

Wait for the pods to turn brown, before cutting off the heads. Those that I see in your pics are green.

Bob

Bika

What about the other ones starting to seed should i crop the top and what or the benifits of that?

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower

It focuses more energy into the growing of the leaves. you don't NEED to top, but it does help produce a larger leaf. If you have more than 1 strain growing make sure to bag those flowers before they open so to protect them from cross pollinating. If you don't need the seeds from the other plants, go ahead and top!

Bika

My other strands are just starting and have been bagged. Im going to leave a few open to cross them just for the heck of it. I also want to donate my pure strands and even some of the cross strands if people are interested. Help give back and be part of the community. Also thank you for your help. I was apart of alot of different forums before and never have i gotten so much help, like this one.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower

No problem at all. I'm not a professional by any means, but I try and retain knowledge people like Don, Marco, and Bob share on the forum and help where/when I can. You are right, this website is full of helpful people!

Contact Deluxstogie/FmGrowIt (I'm not sure who's managing the seed bank currently) and donate seeds to them

Cheers

istanbulin

Founding Member

I use Agribon-AG15 for sewing insect barrier bags for the blossom heads. The bags should be applied before the first blossom opens, or else open blossoms must be removed before the bag is put in place.
Bob

This year, I used a spunbond nonwoven fabric like this.

Pp_Spunbond_Non_Woven_Fabric_Uses_In_Disposable_Hygiene.JPG

Bika

Where did you pick it up from. And what was the coast about?

skychaser

I see one pod that might have mature seeds in it. You are a month away from being ready to harvest those for good seed. I leave mine on the plant until the entire head is brown, or until the first pods to brown up start to split open. Usually I clip out the ones that are starting to crack open and leave the rest to finish ripening. I never cut mine and try to hang them to ripen unless I have no other choice. It takes 4-6 weeks longer when growing for seed than it does for growing mature leaf. A fully mature seed head looks more like this but may still have some green in the stem. This one had been drying for about 2 weeks after cutting. http://nwtseeds.com/img_1126.jpg

Topping a plant forces it to put more energy into growing a larger leaf, but topping should be done when the bud first appears. Topping a plant that is full flower will have little benefit.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I see one pod that might have mature seeds in it. You are a month away from being ready to harvest those for good seed. I leave mine on the plant until the entire head is brown, or until the first pods to brown up start to split open. Usually I clip out the ones that are starting to crack open and leave the rest to finish ripening. I never cut mine and try to hang them to ripen unless I have no other choice. It takes 4-6 weeks longer when growing for seed than it does for growing mature leaf. A fully mature seed head looks more like this but may still have some green in the stem. This one had been drying for about 2 weeks after cutting. http://nwtseeds.com/img_1126.jpg

Topping a plant forces it to put more energy into growing a larger leaf, but topping should be done when the bud first appears. Topping a plant that is full flower will have little benefit.
FYI -- I tried the link and got an error message -- 401 - forbidden.

John

johnlee1933

Founding Member

I bought 5X1.5 m of this from a local fabric dealer for about 2-3 dollars.

John, these are made with polypropylene and very hydrophobic, rain droplets slide down from the fabric.
Thanks. I think I can get it at my local fabric dealer.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.