Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Old Turkish Blend

Status
Not open for further replies.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I just uncovered an old basma blend. These pictures belongs to old Moldovan cigarette case. Inner side of the case, contents of the blend are written.

Blend contains :

30% Kavala
25% Samsun
20% Xanthi
15% Izmir
10% Bafra

I think, it might have an interesting taste. A harmony of flavors.

images

images

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
I have everything but the Cavalla. Unfortunately, that's the major component of the blend. My possible replacements would be Samsun-Maden, Tasova, Yayladag, Balikesir, Mutki. Since I've never tasted Cavalla, I have no idea which might be closest.

Bob

istanbulin

Founding Member
I have everything but the Cavalla. Unfortunately, that's the major component of the blend. My possible replacements would be Samsun-Maden, Tasova, Yayladag, Balikesir, Mutki. Since I've never tasted Cavalla, I have no idea which might be closest.

Bob

I think Taşova will be the closest to Kavala. Also Balıkesir may be used but blend may be a little bit stronger. I prefer Taşova for a replacement of Kavala.

If you try this blend please let us know.

notcrack

Istanbulin, do you have a source for the leaves? I keep seeing your threads and I want some badly. I don't grow personally and hate missing out on these things.

Kind Regards
Joe

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I grew Kavala last year for seeds and have the leaves from the single plant. I'll try to find a picture, but I do recall it was a rather small plant with longest leaves about 8". When I get a little spare time, I'll send them to Bob for his review.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I grew Kavala last year for seeds and have the leaves from the single plant. I'll try to find a picture, but I do recall it was a rather small plant with longest leaves about 8". When I get a little spare time, I'll send them to Bob for his review.

It's a megalo-leaf then :) Too much bigger than usual.

Also I'm looking forward to get the review.

Irishhorsemaster

I just uncovered an old basma blend. These pictures belongs to old Moldovan cigarette case. Inner side of the case, contents of the blend are written.

Blend contains :

30% Kavala
25% Samsun
20% Xanthi
15% Izmir
10% Bafra

I think, it might have an interesting taste. A harmony of flavors.

I was just wondering, are these leaves flavoured in some way or are they used as they are with no extra flavour added eg. carob, vanilla, etc.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I was just wondering, are these leaves flavoured in some way or are they used as they are with no extra flavour added eg. carob, vanilla, etc.

I think there's no need to flavour in this blend, but may be they used some, who knows ? This blend is from 20s.

buckeyebob

Organic tobacco Guru
Interesting ! My old daddy was in the Navy. As he traveled around the globe he collected an enormous amount of cigarettes and matchbooks from every country known and unknown. He kept his stash in an old steamer trunk . One sad day when my older brother Ron was 16 and i was 13 years old , Dad got into his smokey treat stash to reminise and to his horror some dirty sombitchs had smoked his entire stash of smokey treats from all over the earth. After he quit crying he beat our asses within an inch of death . My favorites were of course all of the Orientals . Ahhh, the sweet memories of youth.

buckeyebob

Organic tobacco Guru
In this country we are ripe for crossing strains and developing our own interesting strains . I am going to start experimenting with a few each year to cross and then standardize some new crosses . It has probably been done significantly by the big greedy tobacco companies but they aren't sharing info something tells me . Just leave a couple unbagged each year we grow more than one strain and see what happens.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
In this country we are ripe for crossing strains and developing our own interesting strains . I am going to start experimenting with a few each year to cross and then standardize some new crosses . It has probably been done significantly by the big greedy tobacco companies but they aren't sharing info something tells me . Just leave a couple unbagged each year we grow more than one strain and see what happens.
Sounds like fun. If you go that way remember to bag the strains you want to keep pure. -·-

Status
Not open for further replies.