Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Latakia Notes from British American Tobacco Co. Ltd. (released papers)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
The food and wood and climate is the key I think, I was told by the old coot that cow chips to heat was part of it- I however wish not to go there. Any ideas on My Latikia is way open. I'm willin to give it a shot at somethin that is a lost art in My eye. I know I'm usin Turkish Izmir.

chillardbee

Chilliwack BC, Canada (south western Canada)
I ment to say 'main curing' not 'msin curing'. I hit the S instead of the A. I'll be getting some turkish this year, hopefully, and after sun curing it I'll fire it up.

Just so that I know I'm not wrong; Fire curing a fire cured variety is not the same as the latakia treatment, am I correct? just making sure.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I ment to say 'main curing' not 'msin curing'. I hit the S instead of the A. I'll be getting some turkish this year, hopefully, and after sun curing it I'll fire it up.

Just so that I know I'm not wrong; Fire curing a fire cured variety is not the same as the latakia treatment, am I correct? just making sure.

Fire curing info from University of Kentucky:
http://www2.ca.uky.edu/agc/pubs/agr/agr152/agr152.pdf

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
That's an excellent reference on fire-curing. Its info is probably similar to what you would need to do for Latakia, except for the wood used and the duration of firing.

Bob

Mad Oshea

Taking a break
Latakia is what I was told a very long duration in the rafters of the homes of the peasant growers that when the market and gov. shot down the market, was later pulled down to use due to the shortage. And found by miss take a good flavoring produced by the cooking and heating of the homes. I think time in rafters would be the key (ageing by fire)?

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Commercial Latakia has been produced over the past century using windowless, dedicated curing sheds, and specific woods for generating the smoke. The story of hanging in the rafters of homes is legend that may or may not be true. (My own impression is that 3 months of living in the smoke required to make Latakia would likely be fatal.)

Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.