Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

First Cigar

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksctm

Well It's rude, crud, and obnoxious, kind of like me, but It's my very first cigar ever.
I think I can make 2 cigars out of it'
first cigar a.jpgfirst cigar b.jpg

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
It takes years and 10's of thousands of attempts for professionals to master rolling.

When I rolled my first cigar, everyone commented on how it looked just like a turd....and I can't say they were wrong ;)

Nice job on your first.

BarG

Founding Member
It looks great. The true test will be when you fire it up. It's still hit and miss for me using my own wrappers, the bezuki wrappers are a hit most every time no matter what I fill them with. Don't give up if its a misfire.;) And try again. If it smokes great then all the better. I have an ashtray full of half burnt cigars lit in too high case or other mishaps. I save them to try at a later date.

notcrack

How long should someone dry their cigars?? I've been rolling a few out of bright leaf lately just to get in the mindset of doing it. The problems I have is getting the sodding thing to roll. I can get the wrapper and binders on, but I never have any idea how much filler to stick in there??
Also if I find I'm a terrible cigar roller can cigar tobacco be smoked in cigarettes??

Oh also nice first go, Boss. I think I was going for more of a Castro-esque look with mine. They are about an inch thick and 12 inches long lol.

marksctm

Thanks, to you all,
It's a little soft on the ends though, I didn't stretch the binder near as much as the wrapper.
And I don't if it will draw, or in other words.... I hope it sucks! :D
10 months ago I didn't even know you could get tobacco seeds.
Thank you guys for all your knowledge and Insight.

Chris

johnlee1933

Founding Member
How long should someone dry their cigars?? I've been rolling a few out of bright leaf lately just to get in the mindset of doing it. The problems I have is getting the sodding thing to roll. I can get the wrapper and binders on, but I never have any idea how much filler to stick in there??
Also if I find I'm a terrible cigar roller can cigar tobacco be smoked in cigarettes??
I have let them dry or left them in a warm oven till they are bone dry. Other than having to wet the tip so it doesn't crumble in my mouth I've never had a problem. They smoke fine.

I too had a problem getting the right amount of filler. Now I weigh it. ~ 7 gms. of filler gives me a nice 40 ring X 24 cm. cigar weighing ~ 9 gms.

Yes, some cigar tobaccos make nice cigs. I regularly shred my scraps for my buddy. He likes the Havana and Maryland 609 but says the burley is too strong. His wife doesn't like any of them. I guess like anything else it's a matter of taste.

John

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Mark when I roll one with a soft head I just feel up it till it gets firmer and clip it there with the guillotine

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
A couple of things to keep in mind about rolling...

One of the small manufactures I sell to told me he leaves his filler sitting out in his store in the burlap the bail was shipped in. In other words, it's very dry when he uses it to make cigars.

He came to my warehouse with his roller a few months ago. While watching his roller, I noticed the filler was in low case, but he wet the binder and wrapper until they were both dripping wet.

Most of the bigger name manufacturers let bundles of cigars rest or age for a couple of years in a humidor set at 70/70.

The biggest thing I've learned about rolling is to not use filler in anything but low case...especially if you want to smoke it right away.

marksctm

Thanks Don,
I want to go to the shed and pluck out a few more choice leaf, but now it's in so low case, I don't want to destroy all my hands of tobacco doing so.
They're calling for rain for the next few days, so I hope to be able to roll a few more this weekend.
It's addicting, Isn't it?

BarG

Founding Member
These 2 could classify as my first cigars since they are some of my first homegrown kilned cigars.

A Havana 425 puro 100_2194.jpg

My first kilned Ct. Broadleaf wrapper/Fl. Sumatra binder/ guatemalen filler,strip fire cured which I am still smoking now and it is deliscious, I haven't had it go out or any trouble keeping drawing good. This is one where I wish I had a pipe to finish it off.100_2196.jpg

The tobacco leaf threading needle was made by leverhead out of an umbrella wire. I haven't used it for that yet but it works fantastic if a cigar draws a little to hard to insert into middle of filler the length of the cigar spinning to assure you are centered and not at an angle. I used it for the cigar above and it draws great. I rolled this one a bit tighter for the better. I highly reccommend getting started on your kiln Chris, It makes all the difference.

Steve2md

lookin tasty there Don! Tim, What did you think of that Havana puro? I have one in my humidor that I'm considering lighting up tonight

marksctm

I highly reccommend getting started on your kiln Chris, It makes all the difference.
Kiln is on for next month, got my 4 dollar thrift store crock pot, remote temp / humidity sensor.
Going to Lowes and get thermostat, but not sure what to make it out of yet, going for a 4 x 4 x ? on height.
It's going in laundry room.

Don,
It took me 40 minutes to get up the nerve to start rolling mine.
Those are! some tasty looking cigars as Steve said.
Weather turning cold this week end, so looks like I'm going to have a lot more time to practice.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Kiln is on for next month, got my 4 dollar thrift store crock pot, remote temp / humidity sensor.
Going to Lowes and get thermostat, but not sure what to make it out of yet, going for a 4 x 4 x ? on height.
It's going in laundry room.
Chris, Any chance you can get a dead upright freezer? I did years ago and like it. It's easy to gut and everything else is all built for you. I got mine from my garbage man but I see old freezers listed all the time on Craig's list. Two problems with mine -- It's outdoors and I have a bit of trouble keeping it hot enough. (Need to add insulation) The humidity seems low. If I had it to do again I wouldn't drill vent holes. Moisture just seems to leak out by itself.

John

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
John, consider drilling holes half way through into the body of the freezer and using The Great Stuff expanding foam to fill the exterior void to help with insulation. As for the humidity make sure that the rubber seal around the door is not too cracked/worn and make sure the interior shell isn't damaged (this could be a big leak of heat/humidity)

Status
Not open for further replies.