Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Question on legality of processing AFTER purchase of whole leaf

Status
Not open for further replies.

smokesec

I've been pondering this a little more. One thing we have to remember is that this revision to the IRC was written by Big Tobacco, not lawmakers. They surely know as well as we do that leaf tobacco is the next big thing, and that's why it was written so broadly. With stores offering shredding stations Big Tobacco can piss and moan to the feds and withhold MSA payments, just as they did with the cigarette machines, and force the fed's hand.

One possible solution I see, for right now, would not be to rent the shredders out per se... but to set up some kind of group ownership while you serve as a "storage facility".

Say you sell the shredders for $250. Get 5 people together and have them each kick in $50. Designate a 2 week schedule for each group of 5. Person A get's the machine for 2 days and returns it, person B, etc. Almost like a timeshare.

My entrepreneurial brain gears are always cranking... :)

BigBonner

Founding Member
Big To bacco did and can change the laws . They controlled the governemnt for years .

I think Big Tobacco did this mistake when the tobacco buy out bill came through . They wanted ( had the laws changed ) to be able to buy tobacco from any where ( States or world ) they want to . They claimed they wanted the tobacco to be competitive with the world markets . Free Market . They said it was like buying a bale of hay .
Before the tobacco buy outs , Big Tobacco was only allowed to import around 25% of their tobacco . I think big tobacco at the time of the buy out was not thinking anything about RYO pipe tobacco and would have never thought about Whole Leaf Sellers and home growers .
Now how would Big Tobacco change this ? by changing the laws to where the RYO pipe is the same or near the same price as ready made smokes .

Boboro

I think store frount whole leif will cause us all problems that we cant aford to fight. You have the right to sell leif and make a livin doin what you have a passion for. They make a crappy little manul shredder you can sell cheap. The more yall talk to these assholes the more they are awere that we exist. I want to be clear where I stand Im a capitalist [ a poor one ] and I say go for it.

BarG

Founding Member
I was just clarifying Don (not trying to be prude) wanted to make sure I was reading what I was reading. I appreciate the warning on the subject. I see now how I was probably trying to make a loophole where it's been closed up long, long ago.

How do you feel about the farmers market selling (if they give me the A-ok to do so)

If its ok with proprieters just sell the leaf and have a brochure or pictures for do it yourself from leaf to finished product. And be sure to be smoking one of your finest cigars in the process.

My very unlawyer like interpretation of Texas law for the sale and distribution of processed tobacco is simply just throw money at it.
1- you can not do it out of your home, it must be a separate property or facility
2-After buying all neccesary permits you are liable at any time for inspection on compliance with all rules and
regulations [You will need your magnifying glass for the fine print and hire a real lawyer to interpret.]
3-Fines are more than you can afford
4- And so on and so on...........

wazzappenning

seems to me they should have only been allowed to change the laws once, not continue to, to suit their needs. i dont know if the buy out bill was global or what but i know if you call big tobacco here you will get a bs story.

anyway it already costs more here to roll than to buy ready made.

BarG

Founding Member
LOL! Thanks for the chuckle!!

I couldn't resist straying from the thread smokesec.:rolleyes: Its hard to come in from behind and stay on topic with the scope of current events just under the surface of everything. Somehow it all seems related, more big govt. in our lives.

AmaxB

Jeremy,

Of course you know processing tobacco for your own use is perfectly legal, but that's not what you were arguing. Believe it or not, there can be a case made against you for GIVING away processed tobacco especially if you are the one doing the processing. There is obscure law about tobacco "changing hands" needs to be taxed. So technically, if you give someone a cigarette (processed tobacco) , you are supposed to collect the tax on it...or something like that.

You are much safer dealing in dope than fuccing with the government's tobacco. Trust me, you're tryig to create a loophole where one does not exist.

There is plenty of opportunity to sell unprocessed tobacco without violating any laws. I'd very strongly encourage you to work within the legalities of the law as they currently exist and make the necessary adjustments to keep within the confines of the law.

Here Here - well said

Enigmascape

I know this is a really old thread, but I would think just selling people those little hand crank jobbers for under $50 would do the trick for those who don't want to plop down $300 on an electric right off the bat. Sell um at cost if you have too... if they have the shredder they will buy leaf, if they don't, they probably wont. or maybe make a deal if they buy 5-10lb's of baccy they can get the shredder for $20 or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.