Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

What do you find to be the biggest pain about growing/curing tobacco?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Be funny, serious, any mix of the two.

Personally, I can't stand how the leaves curl when drying...I love the look of a cured, perfect color dry leaf....that is flat.

Yours?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
for me it's color curing. there are some weeks when the weather pops right in to perfection and it moves like a charm, but as the season progresses those weeks become few and far between. gonna try going earlier next season.

and agree with sky, bags are a pita. sucks they are necessary.

the thing that i'm always thinking about though even out of the grow season is how i'm going to pare my list down to something more manageable and what to grow for the next year. i want to try everything first though. i have some that are wonderful, the one i grew this year for instance was the tastiest one yet, so part of me is tempted to just grow it again next year but i know there are other gems in my collection so i have to grow those too. i think of all those "pains" this is the thought that i have the most so it must be my most bothersome issue. not a bad place to be, i agree :)

BigBonner

Founding Member
Farm labor at harvest time .
Most I have found don't care how they handle tobacco , too lazy to work or are on drugs . The past few years laborers are far and few in between .

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
it's a shame more of us dont live near you big b, i'm sure many would come and be happy just get paid in leaf and experience. hehe

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Hell Bigb, I'd love to work on a farm (Only drug I'm on is Insulin ;))

BigBonner

Founding Member
it's a shame more of us dont live near you big b, i'm sure many would come and be happy just get paid in leaf and experience. hehe

The job pays $10 per hour in the barn . Cutting is by the stick at $0.14 cents a stick . A good cutter could cut 1000 to 1200 sticks per day , thats $140 to $168 per day .A average to slow cutter is 700 to 800 , Thtas $98 to $112 per day . In my younger days I would be in the 1000 to 1200 .
It is hard , hot , sweatty, dangerous work .

I have lost friends by offering them a job in the tobacco patch , But they always come back after backer housing :confused:

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Haha, if I am ever in your neck of the woods I'll come work for ya. That pay sounds just fine, I'm not scared of hard sweaty work, and it seems you can get a good respectable job anymore without it being dangerous

marksctm

The job pays $10 per hour in the barn . Cutting is by the stick at $0.14 cents a stick . A good cutter could cut 1000 to 1200 sticks per day ,

Not to get off topic to much but;
My buddy when we were kids, would go back home to KY for the summer, and he said he'd get paid 3 to 5 cents a stick, and I think he said about 2 or maybe 3 bucks an hour in the barn. I asked him this spring if he wanted some starts and he had flash backs I thinks, and said, WHAT THE HELL DO I WANT WITH THAT, had enough of that sh#*! when I was a kid.
It made a lasting impression on him, for sure.
And he smokes cigars.

BigBonner

Founding Member
Not to get off topic to much but;
My buddy when we were kids, would go back home to KY for the summer, and he said he'd get paid 3 to 5 cents a stick, and I think he said about 2 or maybe 3 bucks an hour in the barn. I asked him this spring if he wanted some starts and he had flash backs I thinks, and said, WHAT THE HELL DO I WANT WITH THAT, had enough of that sh#*! when I was a kid.
It made a lasting impression on him, for sure.
And he smokes cigars.

Talk about a flashback . That pay reminded me of when I was a kid . Pay was 3 to 5 cents a stick and 2 to 3 bucks per hour in the barn . Stripping was $1.25 to $2 per hour
I hated to see the sun rise but glad to see quitting time and that was after dark .
I woke up a many of a night thinking I was falling out of a tobacco barn . I would be so tired and the farmers would get every cents worth of work out of you before the day ended . No soda pop and very little water .A half hour lunch if you had it or a store close by .
By the end of tobacco housing all workers would be tough as nails .

Randy

Bigbooner..it that cash $10.00 hour??? be there tomorrow!!! Im only down the road from you!!

Randy

BigBonner

Founding Member
Bigbooner..it that cash $10.00 hour??? be there tomorrow!!!

Randy

It could be cash .Housing season is over for this year . Frost freeze helped some . I lost over one acre to freeze .No help .

Stripping season is near . It pays $7 per hour .

Then again I may have to charge everyone for teaching them how to cut , house and strip tobacco :rolleyes: bigbonner's school of tobacco . I could give out certificates in a plaque to hang on your wall .

Randy

That would be cool " Bigbooner school of Tobacco" dont worry my friend am fast learning..you may not know but lived here all my life burley country watched them cut,hang tobacco many,many years.. someone will have to teach me how to roll GOOD cigars..lol

Randy

johnlee1933

Founding Member

Talk about a flashback . That pay reminded me of when I was a kid . Pay was 3 to 5 cents a stick and 2 to 3 bucks per hour in the barn . Stripping was $1.25 to $2 per hour
I hated to see the sun rise but glad to see quitting time and that was after dark .
I woke up a many of a night thinking I was falling out of a tobacco barn . I would be so tired and the farmers would get every cents worth of work out of you before the day ended . No soda pop and very little water .A half hour lunch if you had it or a store close by .
By the end of tobacco housing all workers would be tough as nails .
One of my first (paying) jobs was chore boy on an estate farm. They paid 75 cents/hour and lunch. The bosses wife was one of the fine cooks in the world. That's the real reason some us stayed on at all. And yeah, all of use were hard as nails by the end of the summer.

John

BarG

Founding Member
The biggest pain for me was knowing I could be more efficient regarding the labor involved to maintain and harvest a good quality crop, and cured leaf up to storage, and still be productive earning a living. This year taught me alot and next year should be much more efficient. I had alot of help and advice from FTT members.

Status
Not open for further replies.