Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Weston "Pasta Maker" as a shredder (a review)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I don't have the money for a powermatic, and really preferred manual so I decided to get this (a bit reluctantly at first but oh well).

Shed size is ok first time through, damn near perfect the second time around.

I was using the spaghetti attachment (that came with it), makes a near commercial RYO shred. (I rolled one and smoked it, pulled just fine, packed just fine)

Running it twice through the fettuccine slicer makes a superb pipe shred (flakes, but large enough to compress as is needed in a pipe)

I tried running in-case leaf through the roller, and found out that it helps greatly in making it thin enough to be sliced, and also helps you locate if there are any larger ribs/stems you missed.

I bought it from Bed Bath and Beyond for $35 http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?SKU=13748136

Picture glossary:
Image 1: twice through the fettuccine
image 2: emerging from the roller
image 3: inserting into shredder
image 4: pass 1 through spaghetti
Image 5: past 2 through the spaghetti

One last thing: As before mentioned, this machine is made by just a couple companies but sold under many names. This one is sold under "My Perfect Kitchen" by the instructions say "Built by Weston"

Attachments

• IMG_1148.jpg
    IMG_1148.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 138
  • IMG_1147.jpg
    IMG_1147.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1146.jpg
    IMG_1146.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_1145.jpg
    IMG_1145.jpg
    53.1 KB · Views: 139
  • IMG_1143.jpg
    IMG_1143.jpg
    65.2 KB · Views: 141

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Mich, Do you think the rollers might be good for flattening cigar wrapper? For $35 that might be worth doing.

John

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
The flattening area is 6" wide, it applies a good amount of pressure inbetween the two rollers, and there is an adjustment knob for distance between the rollers (I'm guessing for thickness of noodles). Seeing what it would do to the leaves I was using I don't see a reason it couldn't be used for cigar wrappers.

So in short : YES

Also forgot to include:

The construction seems to be medium to high quality considering the price.

It is chrome plated steel, everything is true to size/shape, I haven't peeled the skin off yet to see the gears but by judging the usage yesterday, it would have to be some decent quality crap steel inside to handle what I was putting through her. (I'll grab more photos, specifically of the gears later)

The clamp is strong and would clamp the device down (surprisingly) to my countertop with no hassle. Nothing bent, broke, sheared or separated. It also had rubber feet on the bottom to stop it from sliding around.

I would suggest modifying the cutters a bit, they are smooth (meant for dough which I would imagine would create a "pullable" surface on it's own, while tobacco leaf is smoother) I've read some people have buffed the cutting wheels with a file or sand paper. I personally just press more on the tobacco to help it catch, I don't want metal shavings in my tobacco....

Cleaning: Don't clean with water (per instructions) running the wheels in the "opposite" direction helps break free any clogged material, and flipping the unit over and brushing with hand gets most of it out.

Edit: picture 4 and 5 are swapped

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
If you pull the side covers off, you'll see a U shaped spring clip that holds the rakes in place. If you replace the spring clips with tiny sheet metal or machine screws, the rakes won't pop out so easily when you overload the cutter heads.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
Mich, Do you think the rollers might be good for flattening cigar wrapper? For $35 that might be worth doing.

John

I posted on this before. The flat rollers work great for flattening leaf for a wrapper but I noticed that the leaf loses its elasticity maybe due to all the fibers being crushed

LeftyRighty

Founding Member
I use one of these 'pasta machines' also. Run the leaf through first with angel hair attachment, get long thin strands, then 2nd pass with any of other ones. It's near perfect for rolling cigs.
Lightly roughing the roller surfaces makes a big difference - grabs the leaf so much better. After sanding (or using a Dremel tool), blow off with air hose, then run some trash leaves thru it - no problem with metal flakes. It also helps sometimes to wipe the roller with a damp rag or light spray with water.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Leftyrighty, the one I got requires you buy the angel hair attachment separate, and is looking about $20, I'm not sure I wanna invest that much until I know how well it exactly works. (plus the spaghetti wheel twice around seems to work well). Could you grab a size comparison of your shred next to a quarter?

marksctm

I have, seen people on youtube say they use the angel hair attachment.
I'v been looking at them at wallmart, But hoping my money tree seeds will sprout soon so I can get me one of them there LECTRIC ones.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I posted on this before. The flat rollers work great for flattening leaf for a wrapper but I noticed that the leaf loses its elasticity maybe due to all the fibers being crushed
Yes JBD, I saw the earlier post. You think it might be trying to go too thin?

John

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Perhaps the leaf was too dry, the leaf may be more elastic if it's in medium-high case (not soggy)

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Yup I haven't had ANY issues with it. Keep it up like you should keep up anything and it'll work just fine for you

marksctm

I looked all over Wal Mart twice and found nothing. I guess we're not pasta makers here.
Rancho Santa Marger store shows 6 in stock. don't know how close it is to you though.
Type your zip code in (store finder) on there web site and search pasta machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.