Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Sweet Potato Cobbler Recipe

Status
Not open for further replies.

oldsouth

Banned
No problem! I think my family recipe was sort of a mix of a French Souffle and an English/Irish style baked (or boiled) pudding, based on my heritage. The eggs make it fluffy, , with nice brown edges and the flour makes it dense. So, feel free to play around with the recipe and see if you come up with anything good.

I've been looking up heirloom sweet potatoes and found lots of sites, including out friends at New Hope Seeds. There are, surprisingly, dozens of varieties! Hopefully the produce stand one town over will have some of those I found last year - I'll head down there tomorrow and buy a few. If they can tell me what variety they are, I'll tell y'all. I figure that folks who enjoy good tobacco probably share similar taste in food.

Speaking of potatoes and international food - I'm going to go eat a couple of pounds of pirogies and hotdogs with kraut! I found an old mountain guy who still makes his own sauerkraut - simply awesome stuff! He also has an old grist mill and grinds his own corn. I'm trading him hog liver pudding... jackpot!

Randy

the sweet potatos slips at New Hope are great ones planted bought abt 2 yrs ago
Randy

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I think it's the same thing we call the eye of the potato down here. I have to learn how to understand you northerners. Randy, Ray LOL

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I went to New Hope website. The slip is not an eye it's a plant they've grown from an eye. Now I have it. We just usually plant the eye and it grows into a plant from the ground.

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I'm not sure if I'll get any sweet potatoes this year. I've been battling a ground hog that keeps eating the leaves. I'll have to probably buy some this year. You think if I send you a few pounds your wife could make me a pie and send it to me?.. I'll pay you in tobacco seeds..:rolleyes:

Southern Planter

That feller in "Caddy Shack" had the right idea.

I need to talk the wife into that cobbler.

Yesterday out of my love for her I decided to cook dinner. Here is the recipe:

1. Forget to soak the pinto beans the night before.

2. Have your mom tel you that she never soaks beans, just cookum.

3. Get out a six quart stock pot.

4. Grab the spider you used for breakfast and leave the bacon grease in it. Add some fat trimmings from the country ham your wife won't eat. (No problem dear, more for me.)

5. Cut up the biggest onion you can find and add it to the spider. Add a s&%t load of different spices.

6. Dump into saucepan and deglaze the spider with coffee.

7. Yer a good cook, you can make beans blindfolded, so don't bother to measure the beans, just go to the pantry and grab the bulk bean container and dump some in the pot with a "sploosh".

8. Add ham-hock and bring to a boil.

9. Watch the lid come off and say "Oh @#$%^&*! my wife is going to kill me!" and search frantically for a larger pot.

10. Grab your wife's small canning pot. Dump the contents from the 6 quart saucepan into the 4 gallon Granite ware canner and add more water. Your sister says "Not only do you buy in bulk, you cook in bulk."

11. Curse the dips&%t who put an electric stove in a farmhouse. Come to the conclusion that if you scorch the canner you will never hear the end of it. You must now change plans and convert the concoction to baked beans.

12. Go to the pantry and discover that you have eaten too many flap jacks since the last sorghum festival and you don't have enough sop sorghum. Search frantically for the brown sugar your wife put where normal folks would hide the rat poison. Add several fist fulls of brown sugar. Get one of those newfangled ketchup bottles that you squeeze and go sploooosh, splooooosh, splooosh. Do the same with mustard. And a lump of Pakistani black salt.

13. Attempt to put the pot in the oven designed by a pinko commie *** yuppy. Take out a rack. Lower the other one. Squeeze the pot in. Curse the yuppy because you can't gets the lid on. (Later, after a few sips from a mason jar you get a message from God that the beans turned out better without the lid.)

14. Attempt to explain to your wife why you made 3 gallons of baked beans.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
That feller in "Caddy Shack" had the right idea.

I need to talk the wife into that cobbler.

Yesterday out of my love for her I decided to cook dinner. Here is the recipe:

1. Forget to soak the pinto beans the night before.

2. Have your mom tel you that she never soaks beans, just cookum.

3. Get out a six quart stock pot.

4. Grab the spider you used for breakfast and leave the bacon grease in it. Add some fat trimmings from the country ham your wife won't eat. (No problem dear, more for me.)

5. Cut up the biggest onion you can find and add it to the spider. Add a s&%t load of different spices.

6. Dump into saucepan and deglaze the spider with coffee.

7. Yer a good cook, you can make beans blindfolded, so don't bother to measure the beans, just go to the pantry and grab the bulk bean container and dump some in the pot with a "sploosh".

8. Add ham-hock and bring to a boil.

9. Watch the lid come off and say "Oh @#$%^&*! my wife is going to kill me!" and search frantically for a larger pot.

10. Grab your wife's small canning pot. Dump the contents from the 6 quart saucepan into the 4 gallon Granite ware canner and add more water. Your sister says "Not only do you buy in bulk, you cook in bulk."

11. Curse the dips&%t who put an electric stove in a farmhouse. Come to the conclusion that if you scorch the canner you will never hear the end of it. You must now change plans and convert the concoction to baked beans.

12. Go to the pantry and discover that you have eaten too many flap jacks since the last sorghum festival and you don't have enough sop sorghum. Search frantically for the brown sugar your wife put where normal folks would hide the rat poison. Add several fist fulls of brown sugar. Get one of those newfangled ketchup bottles that you squeeze and go sploooosh, splooooosh, splooosh. Do the same with mustard. And a lump of Pakistani black salt.

13. Attempt to put the pot in the oven designed by a pinko commie *** yuppy. Take out a rack. Lower the other one. Squeeze the pot in. Curse the yuppy because you can't gets the lid on. (Later, after a few sips from a mason jar you get a message from God that the beans turned out better without the lid.)

14. Attempt to explain to your wife why you made 3 gallons of baked beans.
First of all -- Ya gotta love Caddy Shack and Baked beans. Then everything falls into place.

John

Status
Not open for further replies.