Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

TN90 or MCY

Status
Not open for further replies.

Markw

I was reading the thread on burley tobacco. This year in the UK I was looking at growing two or three types of burley. MCY and TN 90. I got my MCY from a good kind member on the other forum and the seed was true. I was given the TN 90 Plants in the UK I never managed to get any YTB.
What I have read is that TN90 and MCY are near about the same plant. Well the TN90 don't look like the MCY. It looks more like a Havana with big green leaves and color cures the same as my other Havana.
Now is it worth trying to get some true TN 90 seeds for next year and giving them another go or
just keep the MCY. Is there any point I expect they smoke near the same. I would like to have a go at the YTB does this have a different taste than the other two burleys.just thinking what other members might think.
Many thanks
Markw

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I was reading the thread on burley tobacco. This year in the UK I was looking at growing two or three types of burley. MCY and TN 90. I got my MCY from a good kind member on the other forum and the seed was true. I was given the TN 90 Plants in the UK I never managed to get any YTB.
What I have read is that TN90 and MCY are near about the same plant. Well the TN90 don't look like the MCY. It looks more like a Havana with big green leaves and color cures the same as my other Havana.
Now is it worth trying to get some true TN 90 seeds for next year and giving them another go or
just keep the MCY. Is there any point I expect they smoke near the same. I would like to have a go at the YTB does this have a different taste than the other two burleys.just thinking what other members might think.
Many thanks
Markw
I just smoked the first of my kilned 2012 YTB. It is the mildest tobacco I have ever tasted. It is milder than the Maryland 609. I don't think I will smoke it puro but it may help to tame some of my stronger leaf. I will give my MCY a try sometime this week and will report my opinion.

Bob, Do you agree YTB is very mild? What do you use as a mix?

John

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, the YTB is mild.

As for what I use as a mix, with ~40 varieties available to me, I suffer from an embarrassment of choices. I think the possibilities are 40! (that's 40 factorial, or 40 * 39 * 38 * ... * 2 * 1, extending downward for the count of components), if the blend is in equal proportions, and 40 * 40 * 40 ...repeated as many times as there are portions in the blend, if proportions of each can vary. Sorry about the math. Way more than I can ever actually try. If I limit my filler to 2 varieties, in equal proportions, I have 1600 choices, not counting binder and wrapper choices, and disregarding the dramatic differences in leaf from different stalk positions.

[Today, it's a filler of Machu Picchu and WI Seedleaf, bound in sun-grown CT Shade, wrapped in a toasty-flavored, light-golden Harrow Velvet. The WI Seedleaf has a taste suggestive of the dried shell of pecan.]

Bob

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I would like to have a go at the YTB does this have a different taste than the other two burleys.just thinking what other members might think.
Many thanks
Markw

YTB dose taste different than MCY. Not good, not bad, just different.

Markw

Thanks for the advice everyone. John I have tried the MCY and that is fine, I will try the TN90 or what ever it is in a few weeks to see what the difference is. the TN 90 is well darker that the MCY I still think it is a Havana.

Bob I can see what you mean the more choice the better it is, I will try some more TN90 next year with some fresh seed and also hopefully the YTB.

Jitter that sounds interesting about the taste and it smokes well in a pipe. I was thinking is it like M609 in taste, is 609 a burley ? I was looking at that as well. The problem is there are so many to chose from, Just want to try a few others next year for cigar filler and hopefully a couple for pipe smoking as I would give some away to retired folks who love their pipe tobacco.
PS I will be doing the germination test on the LP Havana in a week or so then I will stick it in the post.

Mark

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
MD609 is a Maryland type of tobacco, not to be confused with a Burley. If I had to compare MD609 though I's say it is more like a Burley than a "Virginia" (flue cured).
YTB is also my choice for chew.

Markw

Thanks for that Jitter I was planning at adding 609 for growing next year. You say it is a flue cured, I suppose it can still be air cured. As you know the many strains and the grin data base I was looking at a company that sells seeds and they have a tobacco listed as Latakian.do you know anything about it I am unable to find anything out about it.

Mark

deluxestogie

Administrator
Staff member
Maryland tobacco varieties are usually air-cured, and are not classified as flue-cure types. They generally have a milder flavor and aroma than burleys. Marylands also contain lower nicotine levels.

The nature of the Latakia that you buy at a tobacconist is mostly determined by the fire-curing regimen. Cyprian Latakia is made from a variety known as "Yellow Smyrna." The fire-curing requires daily firing for 1 to 3 months, and the result is strongly influenced by the type of woods used to produce the smoke. I made an attempt using Shirazi, firing it for 4 consecutive weeks. I estimate that it still needed about double that to approach the smokiness of commercial Latakia.

Bob

Markw

Thanks for that information Bob. I was looking at the tobacco seed company in the UK who have Latakian under new varieties of seed they are planning to acquire. I don't understand how they can call it Latakian seed if it is the process that makes the finished product.

Many thanks

Mark

darren1979

First Time Grower
Mark if i remember correctly my TN90 had a dark green colour also with broad leaves and cured straight to a brown colour. Ive got around 500 seeds left from this year if you wont half to do a little grow out and compare this years TN90 your more than welcome to them.

Markw

Hi Darren
No worries I might be jumping the gun. I only tried 4 plants this year , one got blown over early and snapped off at the ground, So I cut the leaves off and color cured them and dried them in the sun. They dried to a nice light brown color. The others were hung in the garage and boy they are very dark much darker that the MCY.

What else did you grow this year Darren, If you are looking for some seed I have Bursa,Ottoman HY, BSS, Silver River, Silk Leaf and MCY and LP Havana. I can send you some if you would like. Just PM me your address and I will pop some in the post in the next few weeks..

Mark

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
If you don't yet have the tn90 seeds and want them it might be worth instead getting tn86, from my reading the improvements on the 90 are just for commercial growers and you actually get more leaf with the 86.

Markw

Hi Smokes
Very interesting point and a very good idea. I might just do that. This tobacco growing is more like going to an Indian Restaurant and asking for a curry. Your given the menu with a vast choice, There are so many curries to choose from so many tastes to order.
I can see my baccy patch getting even bigger next year.

Mark

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
yeah, when i first started i had many varieties, the next year was 1 variety, and the third year will be back to many varieties again. the problem is no indian restaurant exists for this. the closest thing we have is FM and BigB, we can order and sample known varieties but there are many more out there. So what i have been doing is taking my seed list and ordering tobaccos to sample that they also grow, and doing grow outs myself of the more esoteric strains you dont see elsewhere. i havent had a bad tobacco yet, but there are some that are definitely better to my taste buds than others. the goal is to find what I like, and grow that while maybe doing small sample grow outs for fun. the problem with this though is if you dont let it age also you are never getting the real picture. i recently got a chance to taste some 15 year old burley and i'm used to the young stuff being tasty but very very bitey. this had the flavor and nearly all of the bite gone. it's amazing. what was really helpful though is that it allowed me to see the difference so when i smoke my young stuff i'll be able to guess what it's aged flavor will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.