Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hi

Status
Not open for further replies.

gracebowen

HI I just joined. I found this website because I was looking for information on starting to grow my own tobacco for cigarettes. I honestly do not know If I will or not because I do not know how. I am also discouraged because it looks like it is going to take a long time to start smoking any tobacco I grow. I have no clue what I want to plant or anything. I browsed the whole leaf area but did not fully understand how it works to purchase leafs.

Steve2md

Hello and welcome to the forum!! Don't be discouraged, there are ways to begin using your tobacco within 5 weeks or so of harvest! This forum is a wealth of knowledge and the people here are more than happy to answer any questions you may have!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
HI I just joined. I found this website because I was looking for information on starting to grow my own tobacco for cigarettes. I honestly do not know If I will or not because I do not know how. I am also discouraged because it looks like it is going to take a long time to start smoking any tobacco I grow. I have no clue what I want to plant or anything. I browsed the whole leaf area but did not fully understand how it works to purchase leafs.
Welcome gracebowen to FTT. I understand much of your feelings. I was the same way when I started. I wanted good, cheap cigars. It's been three years now and I'm getting pretty good and am improving all the time. You might want to read the FAQ's at the top of the opening page. They are an excellent primer. You can buy whole leaf tobacco from several guys on this site. I help a cig smoking buddy and his wife. I don't know what you are smoking now or what you are paying but they now pay about $2.50/pack for home made cigs. You will have to invest a little money on a rolling machine and figure a way to shred your leaf. Guys here do all of this stuff and are generous with their help. Have you ever gardened at all? I believe we have a member in San Antonio so he should be able to give you good advice on soil and weather. Anyway, Again Welcome,

John

leverhead

Don't give up before you start! Equal parts of patience and ambition will give you quite a reward next year, a years worth or more of tobacco. After that you'll look back and laugh. You can buy good tobacco to get you by until then and learn how to manipulate it into a great cigarette. I didn't start my seeds until February this year, my first year, right now I'm smoking a cigarette that's about 2/3 home grown.

DonH

I would recommend starting with the cigarette tobacco sampler from www.wholeleaftobacco.com. It has all the right varieties in the right proportions. You'll get several months' worth of cigarettes for the price of about 7 packs of commercial cigs. The tobacco is of the highest quality.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Welcome to the forum gracebowen. i agree with DonH. Go the website he provided the link for. Get the cigarette sampler, a shredder, and a cigarette injector. you'll need the equipment after you've grown your own anyway. Also the sampler pack will give you a good idea of which varieties you will want to grow for yourself. Cigarettes are a blend of varieties not just one. Usually about 60 % Virgiania 30% Burley and 10% Oriental or Turkish. You can adjust the percentages for strength, smoothness and taste to get the cigarette you like most. Also don't be afraid to experiment with different varieties. Blending to your own taste is part of the fun. Good luck brudda.

Seanz

Hi and welcome, These people have a mountain or knowledge between them and its a great place, ON growing its a waiting game but well worth the rewards and after awhile when everyone is forking over all those hard earned dollars you can sit back and spend it on something else!:D

Randy

weclome Gracebowen

im the county drunk who cant spell..but these guys here are great for getting you on the road to growing tobacco if not them than noone else..trust me!!

Randy

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
I am also discouraged because it looks like it is going to take a long time to start smoking any tobacco I grow.

There are varieties that will produce a fine flavored tobacco by September of the first year you grow.

Stick around and make friends with these guys. They'll help you any way they can.

Markw

Hi and welcome to the forum grace.
Please don't give up before you have even started. This is the end of my first growing year and I am now smoking my home grown tobacco, I wish I had done this many years ago. As a fellow member has mentioned you should try the sampler pack to see how you get on. There are some investments you need to make, but the returns and the pleasure you will get not to mention the saving you have worked for is the best feeling Once again welcome to the forum .

Markw

indianjoe

Founding Member
Hi,
this forum can give you your best shot at next fall's barn full of tobacco. Welcome.

gracebowen

Thank you for all of the replies. I think I will try the tobacco sampler pack. I think I will also try to talk Larry into sending me 10 seedlings. I saw his post that he does not like to do that but I am willing to wait until he is planning a trip to town for him to ship. Is it too late to plant now. We have mild winters or I could grow indoors maybe.

Ltngstrike

Welcome Gracebowen! The great folks here will have you lined up for a good growing season if you take their advice. I'm still learning myself after my second season. It takes time but its well worth it!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Thank you for all of the replies. I think I will try the tobacco sampler pack. I think I will also try to talk Larry into sending me 10 seedlings. I saw his post that he does not like to do that but I am willing to wait until he is planning a trip to town for him to ship. Is it too late to plant now. We have mild winters or I could grow indoors maybe.
Like any other new undertaking this will have it's ups and downs. From personal experience if you never grow a leaf you can make/smoke cigs from purchased leaf for about $1.50/pack. You will be smoking chemical free tobacco and can tailor the taste/aroma to your personal desires. As mentioned by others there is an initial $$ investment. My buddies experience shows that with him and his wife smoking a pack a day they got the investment back in 2 months. Of course there is an investment in time also. I roll my cigars in the evening while watching the boob tube. It's fun and painless. As a result I am smoking $10 cigars that cost me about $0.35. You might even find someone near you who already has a shredder (the biggest single expense). If so you could get your feet wet for very little capital outlay and see if you think it's worthwhile. Believe it or not I have friends who'd still rather pay $8/pack. No accounting for people.

The first thing you'll need is a cig maker. Almost all of the cig smokers prefer the injector type (as opposed to the auger type). Top-O-Matic is what I use and so do a lot of others. You can usually pick one up on ebay for under $50. Cig tube prices vary a lot. I am using Premier tubes and am paying $2.65/carton.

Growing indoors is indeed possible but in general your plants will be smaller. If you have any outside, sunny space I think you'll like the results better. My first patch was 8' X 12' (raised bed) and I got a lot from it. I have now doubled that and have all the tobacco I need.

Hope this helps and you are not overwhelmed,

John

BarG

Founding Member

Hi gracebowen, and welcome. I reccomend waiting for next years season to start growing. I'm about 300 miles from SA. in Normangee.
Not to different climate wise. If you want to get your whole leaf and start out simple and cheap initialy you can buy a premier double injector for about $15.00 and shop for the filter tubes at a couple bucks a carton. As far as shredding, a paper cutter or any thing that will chop or cut works. Bonners plants are awesome if you can start with those you won't be dissapointed.

Status
Not open for further replies.