Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Taste and smell palette

Status
Not open for further replies.

ne3go

I enjoy smoking cigars (ocassionaly), drinking wine & whiskey, and eating nice food at a restaurant.
Reading and watching a lot about cigars,drinks and food, cannot understand how people with a sensitive palette, find so many details: "Earhty,smoky,flowers,vanilla,pepper,spices etc..."
I can only see differences in tastes and smells, only if they're strong enough!!!
So, is this kind of a genetic thing? Some just have it and some not? Or you can train your nose and mouth to find the tiniest flavor?

notcrack

Hey ne3go,

It is all about the way you taste them. If you Google wine tasting you will see there is a technique. When you try it you will be able to taste/smell certain aromas.

Give it a go and you should be pleasantly surprised.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I know that sensitivity of palate changes from person to person. Although most people can't recognize tiny flavors in a dominant taste, some people can recognize them but can't define them well. It looks like acting, before playing you should store all emotions in your mind.

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Yeah I'm in the second group, I taste them fine but can't articulate what I'm tasting. I think that comes with experience, right now I'm in the tastes good to me category

ne3go

istanbulin & notcrack: a professional wine-maker told me, that i should develop a "nose-mouth memory".Store all the information in your mind and recall it when you taste something. I've tried sometimes, also tried the techniques of tasting...Not a big difference. Maybe I'm not so gifted.

What i really wonder, is what am i missing if cannot distinct tastes and aromas.... For example, is it worth to buy an expensive whiskey or cigar and try desperatelly to find aromas?

Or, if i do make my own cigars, how can i be sure what is their quality? Cigar-making is like making your own wine or cooking a food... You need some friends to share the joy, and some skills to appreciate the result, right?

... right now I'm in the tastes good to me category
Yeah, thats my category too! :D

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I'm so bad I sometimes wonder it it is all blowing smoke up others peoples butts. I like red wine with supper sometimes. I got out to supper about once a month. If they serve me something I like I found what it is and buy a couple of bottles and see if I still like it.

So I guess my taste is all in my mouth. But after all, I am the resident cynic. LOL

John

Seanz

In regards to whiskey i find the more expensive a bottle the smoother it goes down, But then I have also been known to go all vangogh on it and drink a bottle of absinthe, look out reality then!

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
Bourbon is my thing, I buy Evan Williams usually our Ezra Brooks cause it's cheap and tastes good. For special occasions I usually receive fancy bourbons as gifts. The fancy ones are AWESOME, butsois my man Evan. I dunno.

DonH

istanbulin & notcrack: a professional wine-maker told me, that i should develop a "nose-mouth memory".Store all the information in your mind and recall it when you taste something. I've tried sometimes, also tried the techniques of tasting...Not a big difference. Maybe I'm not so gifted.

What i really wonder, is what am i missing if cannot distinct tastes and aromas.... For example, is it worth to buy an expensive whiskey or cigar and try desperatelly to find aromas?

Or, if i do make my own cigars, how can i be sure what is their quality? Cigar-making is like making your own wine or cooking a food... You need some friends to share the joy, and some skills to appreciate the result, right?

Yeah, thats my category too! :D

In my experience I get better at tasting things when I make those things, whether it's cigarettes, wine, beer, pipe tobacco or anything else, so ne3go I think you will become a cigar expert once you start making them.

ne3go

I got some good advice from SmokesAhoy and Steve2md on how to smoke a cigar. Since I started smoking it that way, completely changed the taste for me.
Is this advice in some thread in here?

Seanz: The smoother taste is all i get too from expensive drinks or cigars.

johnlee1933: Ok, one of my most difficult things, is the wine tasting in a restaurant! I usually say to the waiter: "I'm not an expert, just fill the glass!" :rolleyes:

SmokesAhoy: I used to drink Jack Daniels, as the only easy available bourbon in my country. For the last 2 years i tried single malts and loved them, although little expensive.

DonH: The only thing tried so far are my vegetables. I grow organic and they taste better than the ones i buy. In tobacco or wine-beer making, i think need a lot more effort to reach a certain level.

istanbulin

Founding Member
After a short search on internet I found these;

"So that’s it for the tongue? Well, not really. The tongue can of also pick up things like temperature, metallic-ness and dryness – handy things when smoking cigars. There are also supertasters – folks that have a heightened sense of taste above the average person. This is due to, simply put, having more taste buds than the average person. This is most common in Latin America (no surprise there), Asia and Africa. Only 25% of people of European descent are supertasters."

supertaster.gif
"Seems like it's genetic"

And here is a cigar tasting wheel, I'm sure that taste memory is a must to use this.

cigarwheel1.jpg

Source - http://www.cigarinspector.com/how-to-taste-a-cigar

andrewislord

Is this advice in some thread in here?

Seanz: The smoother taste is all i get too from expensive drinks or cigars.

johnlee1933: Ok, one of my most difficult things, is the wine tasting in a restaurant! I usually say to the waiter: "I'm not an expert, just fill the glass!" :rolleyes:

SmokesAhoy: I used to drink Jack Daniels, as the only easy available bourbon in my country. For the last 2 years i tried single malts and loved them, although little expensive.

DonH: The only thing tried so far are my vegetables. I grow organic and they taste better than the ones i buy. In tobacco or wine-beer making, i think need a lot more effort to reach a certain level.

In the DIY Cigar pics thread. Page 13.

http://fairtradetobacco.com/showthread.php?721-DIY-Cigar-pics/page13

There's also a little about burning it too hot on page 12.

ne3go

Thanks andrewislord,i had check this thread, but missed this informations!

Status
Not open for further replies.