Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Hardtack: Any of you southern boys got a recipe?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
My recipe:

4 cups whole wheat flour
approx. 2 cups water
1/4 cup sea salt (I like salt...)

Make into a elastic (not sticky) dow
Butter pan/cooking spray pan
Next roll out into crackers, break into chunks, or roll into a big sheet and break of a chunk when you want it.
bake at 375-400 for approx 35 minutes until it's either a bit tough or very dry and crackly.

I learned the recipe from a civil war reenactor I used to know (history teacher), quite tasty, good treat for hunting, you guys have any variations on it?

SmokesAhoy

Founding Member
When I was younger and I didn't think wheat was analogous to poison I made some, now my survival food of choice would be pemmican. Not the beef jerky stuff, the real stuff.

But how I made it was to grind winter wheat berries and add salt and water to work it into a stiff dough and use a mallet to continue working out as it got harder, then form it and bake out the water.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Southern Johnnie Cake

two cups of cornmeal 2/3 cup of milk 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon of salt Mix ingredients into a stiff batter and form eight biscuit-sized "dodgers". Bake on a lightly greased sheet at 350 degrees for twenty to twenty five minutes or until brown. Or spoon the batter into hot cooking oil in a frying pan over a low flame. Remove the corn dodgers and let cool on a paper towel, spread with a little butter or molasses, and you have a real southern treat!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Southern Johnnie Cake

two cups of cornmeal 2/3 cup of milk 2 tablespoons vegetable oil 2 teaspoon baking soda 1/2 teaspoon of salt Mix ingredients into a stiff batter and form eight biscuit-sized "dodgers". Bake on a lightly greased sheet at 350 degrees for twenty to twenty five minutes or until brown. Or spoon the batter into hot cooking oil in a frying pan over a low flame. Remove the corn dodgers and let cool on a paper towel, spread with a little butter or molasses, and you have a real southern treat!
True, true, true. I like the northern version that has a little wheat flour too. Perhaps that's because I grind my own corn meal from cow corn and it is a little heavy. naturally we Yankees use Maple syrup in place of molasses.

As an aside Three moles wake up in the spring. Papa, Mama and baby mole take their first look at the new world. Mama says "I see the sun." Papa says "I see clover." Baby says " I see mole asses."

John

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
John, that's fricken hilarious (musta been the short night...or early morning...)

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Exactly. If the worm would just sleep a bit longer, the rest of us birds could enjoy OUR sleep a bit more...

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Good one John! I like sorghum syrup too. My uncle had a sorghum mill and Daddy and I grew a crop and had syrup made. It was gooood. My cousin has a grist mill with a home made water wheel and he makes grits and corn meal. he got the stones from some mill from the 1800's that had rotted down.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
It's funny you mention that about wheat, Smokes. My mom just mentioned to me the other day about it (I knew about it, I just never considered it, I work at a farm equipment distributor for pete's sake! I shoulda thought about it.)

I'm interested in eventually have a self sustaining farm (when I'm a bit older, though hell it may be sooner than we think), I'm good with my green thumb, and I know how to raise live stock. I want to be able to grow healthy, non-modified food products that aren't going to potentially poison who ever eats them.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
John--Chicken made you an honorary rebel and you have to start up with the dad gum wheat flour. I'm seceding.

istanbulin

Founding Member
What is the difference between hardtack and rusk ? Because we made rusk (peksimet in Turkish and paximadia in Greek) by the same way like you. It sometimes contains barley and chickpea flour and some spices.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
Alabama;
most modern wheat is genetically redesigned to grow faster, thicker, more broad heads etc. The chemicals/changes to the plants have increased the amount of gliadin and gluten in the plant. Studies are showing that the gliadin contributes to diabetes/heart disease (autoimmunity hyper/hypo), the gliadin binds certain substances together in the GI tract and initiates intestinal leakage into the body. (makes the lining more permeable)

the FDA is doing studies, but like other treatments of plants, it's probably not going to go away anytime soon.

Instanbulin;
The difference is probably just the name and the lack of spices. In the American civil war (late 1800's) this was a common "cracker", it didn't mold very fast, it was able to be made quickly and easily. Soldiers would soak it in their coffee, warm water, soup etc (if they were lucky enough to have it).

Most times it wasn't made with spices, just a touch of salt to make the soldiers happy

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I stay blissfully unaware and eat what my grandparents ate. Tobacco is supposed to have an issue or two also.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
That being said Alabama, I agree, I just eat. The humans who focus on living longer die younger. I will enjoy the life God gave me and not sweat the petty things (or pet the sweaty things)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
LOL I think if growing season doesn't get here soon we're all going to be loony anyway.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I stay blissfully unaware and eat what my grandparents ate. Tobacco is supposed to have an issue or two also.
Right on the head Knucks. I have watched folks give up this and that over the years as fads and scares come and go. So I don't eat junk food. If I have sweets I cook them myself. I cook or pickle or smoke most of what I eat. And If I want fresh fruit I just buy it, wash it (sometimes) and eat it.

Not too long ago my D-in-law (a great lady) went on the no butter kick. Margarine was healthier. Then she found out about trans fats and polyunsaturated fats. Butter came back. Hey Guys, give me credit. I kept my mouth SHUT. (Both times.) :D

John

Status
Not open for further replies.