Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Height of first tier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I'm getting ready to build my curing rack in my shop where I'll be hanging my tobacco. How high off the floor will the first tier need to be for virginia and burley?

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Thanks BarG. Your curing setup looks alot like what I had in mind. Stringing the primed Virginia and stalk curing the Burley. Are your tobacco sticks 4' long? did you use a stringing horse or string on your rack?

BarG

Founding Member
The sticks are 4' long and the rack bars are 6'. The first rack close to the table had a couple nails to sandwich each end of the stick and I used wirw for some and string tying for some. It holds a lot of leaves and was come pletly filled up with four sticks each side top to bottom with primed leaves. When a stick was cured it could be relocated or tyed into hands to allow room for later primings.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
You are the man! Thanks. I'm going to infringe on your patent. Any complaints or lawsuits will be handled by Don-my legal consultant at WLT and Associates.

BarG

Founding Member
Very nice set-up BarG.

Thanks Ash, Great to see you back.

You are the man! Thanks. I'm going to infringe on your patent. Any complaints or lawsuits will be handled by Don-my legal consultant at WLT and Associates.

I don't think you can infringe on an idea thats been around as long as that one. I just used it to suit my needs. I liked it because it made it easier to hang a whole lot of leaves in a limited amount of space and was attached temporary for winter storage to reuse. Next year I'll locate it several feet further to the back of the carport. I needed to lean panels up in front on to windy or rainy days.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
It is a nice setup. I can only go two tiers high and make it longer. How long are your stalk cured?

BarG

Founding Member
The lengths varied from 2.5 - 6' depending on what was primed from individual varietys. A 34 x 24' area was comepletly full when you consider what I hung from my porch rafters also.

How many plants are you planning and how much square foot are you willing to sacrifice to your curing rack?

The supports can be made any length you desire as long as you support the amount of weight which is considerable with green leaf which is easily done or you could use any length pole up to a point by increasing to a strong enough pole.

My top tier was about 9'+ and the rack occupied about 24-25 sq.' at 4'x6'.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
34x24? Lord have mercy. My shop is 24x30 and full of woodworking equipment and walnut and hickory lumber. I'm growing about 66 plants of Burley and Virginia. I have two 100 ft sections of drip line; emitters 3 ft apart would give me 33 plants per line. We've been in a drought cycle past few years. I guess I can go higher with the rack but I'll have to get someone to load the upper sections. I can scrunch stuff up and get about a 12x16 area. I can hang some in the basement as long as it doesn't stink up the house. FAQ said figure 1 sq. ft per plant single tier of leaf or 1/2 sq. ft per plant stalk harvest. I think you had a much larger grow than I'm planning though. I may go 100 plants and let ma nature take care of 34 of them. I can carry water to that many to get them up and going.

Status
Not open for further replies.