Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Storing seeds

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bika

How do yall store your seeds, in what, is their a certin temp, light? I do know they can last up to 6 years.

skychaser

Store them in a cool, dark and dry place. I refrigerate mine. Some people keep them in the freezer, but be sure the moisture content is down to 7% before freezing to avoid damage.

Tobacco seed has a long shelf life. USDA studies have shown no decline in germination rates for 5 years when stored properly. Germination rates decline at about 2% per year there after. The ars-grin seed bank rotated their tobacco seed stock every 10 years.

istanbulin

Founding Member
I'll suggest, keeping your tobacco seeds in seed pods (but be sure they're all dried). Put them in a well-knit fabric bag then put the fabric bag in a tin can (so it won't get any light). If your climate is very humid you may add a pack of desiccant. Please remember, seeds need a little oxygen so a little ventilation is a must. Storing conditions should be cool (optimum 40 F - but this temperature is for professional seed savers because low temperature may cause condensation).

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Where do you buy the little bitty paper envelopes to keep seed varieties separate?

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
I buy little tiny plastic bags from Wal Mart, near the craft section. I put my seeds into them, then put several packets into baby food jars.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
Where do you buy the little bitty paper envelopes to keep seed varieties separate?
AK, They're called "coin envelopes". I got a bunch a couple of years ago. They work fine here at home but they leak if put thru the mail. I'd like to switch to the plastic as they don't leak and the plastic doesn't seem to hurt the seed. Sooooo --- If you want 50 or so to try let me have your address and I'll give them to you.

John

Knucklehead

Founding Member
John - I appreciate the offer but it's sounding like plastic will be the way to go. Oh, wait a minute, will they be full of seeds? LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.