Whole Leaf Tobacco Whole Leaf Tobacco.com
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Anyone know anything about Silver River?

FmGrowit, was that you that originally obtained the seed? I'd like to know more about it. I know its supposed to be a primitive and that it takes close to 4-5 months to bud. Other than that there just isn't much info on the stuff.. other than the menthol flavor it produces.

Randy B

Randy, The only thing I know about it is it was mixed in with a bunch of other seeds at the farm I used to work. The germination rate was about 1 in 100, but I got some better seeds the first year I grew it. The seed pack was a plain white envelope marked "Silver River" and under that was "wild". I don't know if wild meant primitive or maybe the seed was from a volunteer. I do know it grows really big and flowers really late.

Thanks Don. Is that where you also got the "white flower" seed? I smoked a few sand lugs of that the other day and the taste was out of this world. I don't know how to describe it other than really, really good, with that slight hint of dried apples Silly me, I only planted 9 of them this year too.

Randy B

I'm pretty sure the White Flower was a GRIN seed. I'll look up my records on it, but I'm pretty sure I got it from an online vendor who included the PI number with the name. The Ohio Burley, and Ottoman came from the farm and I think I tried a few others that didn't grow too good. The Ohio Burley doesn't look anything like a Burley to me and I haven't grown it in a couple of years, but that's the plant of choice at the farm...they still grow it every year.

Don, Let me jog your memory. I remember in the other forum you were talking about this tobacco seed you had obtained from an old farmer. He didn't know what to call it so you offered to call the tobacco by his name. He declined, thus you came up with the "white flower" name. Sound familiar, or am I having a flashback....man

ps.. personally, I would have named it something like "apple crisp" or some type of name to denote its fruity flavor

Hey, that rings a bell, but I'm pretty sure the Ohio Burley got it's name that way. The farmer's mother started growing tobacco many years ago and the name of the plant they've been growing for "longer than anyone can remember" has been lost to history. The farmer told me his mother used to hang the whole plant upside down to dry...this is why I suggested it might be a Burley. Personally, I think it's an Oriental or a semi-Oriental like the Ottoman.
    Last edited by FmGrowit; 07-06-2011 at 07:53 PM.

The old thinker is startin' to work a little now...

The farmer showed me a drawer with about 12-15 different packs of seeds. There was also a clear plastic bag with seed pods in it and he said they were the ones he grew every year (I'm almost positive those became "Ohio Burley") A few of the other seeds I got were, Ottoman H.Y., Martin Burley, Vavilov(sp?), TN Red Leaf, Criollo Pampero (OK, I got my list out for these, but the thinker helped me find the list) and Silver River.

There were a few packs of seeds in little postage stamp sized paper envelopes, but none of them had names, just some numbers, so I didn't get any of those. I haven't found where I got the White Flower from yet.

Re: Anyone know anything about Silver River?

While trying to find out more about "silver river" I came across a seed company; Northwest Tobacco Seeds.

They list Silver River as a "white stemmed burley"

http://www.nwtseeds.com/silver_river.htm

I know nothing about this company, if they are a credible supplier then I will say I like very much the layout of their seed listing and classifications/descriptions.

i grew silver river, and vavilov last year.

i didnt notice a menthol hint to the bacca... allthough ive also read that it had it,

the vavilov had very tiny leaves, [ proablly a specialty tobacco ] it didnt fit my purpose, but i didnt know what to expect when i started it,

thier both logged, in my 2012 grow journal, with pic's.
    GIVING BIG TOBACCO THE MIDDLE FINGER,

I just wanted to add to the classification info for the Silver in case someone else is unsure. When I was picking varieties to grow I really could never find good info on it as to classification, muddy waters and many opinions from primitive to burley and inbetween..

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast