Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Anyone know anything about Silver River?

Status
Not open for further replies.

marksctm

Here's the Silver River (left side of picture) 10 days after the pictures from post #18 were taken.
Silver River is one hell of a tobacco plant, with still! no suckers showing yet. (the wood fence is 6 foot, 1.83 meters)

DSCN3042.jpg

From 10 days ago.
DSCN2886.jpg

DGBAMA

Marc.....think I am a few weeks behind you but was thinking the same tonight. Have a couple nearing 48" wingspan. Minimum 3' plant spacing for them next year. Leaves are thick and tacky/sticky on dry days.

marksctm

save me some seeds please :)
I sure will, I planed on bagging them if they ever bud.
I'm going to check'em tomorrow for sign.
Everything else has been bagged, topped, and suckered 4 or 5, etc,etc, times.

Also has attracted the least amount of pests out of the 7 varieties I have growing.
Yeah, same with these, and I've had problems with pests on some other strains, finally got'em knocked down now.
I like how the TN-90 grows, but the Silver River blows it away.

DGBAMA

I am behind but will be saving seed from the two best for sure. Expect another 3-4 weeks before budding. Look forward to being able to give back to the community t that got me started..

skychaser

Silver River has a very erratic time to bloom. Last year I had plants that started blooming in late July and others that didn't start to bloom until September. That's its one downside which I hope to improve on. I have over 100 of them growing this year. The first 50% to bloom I will let grow and then top the rest. I'll select my seed stock plants from the first group and let them open pollinate. Hopefully in a few generations I will have a much more uniformly maturing plant.

TN 90 hits its growth spurt later than most varieties. But when it does, it really takes off. Mine are only 2' tall right now but they will be 6' by harvest time.

marksctm

Hey Sky,
My Silver River are in bud.
They all were planted on 5/18/2013
So the ones I have took about 65 days for me.
But I don't have a 100 or more plants to go by, still I thought I'd give you a heads up.
I'm 6 foot 2 and their all over my head.

DSCN3066.jpg DSCN3067.jpg DSCN3078.jpg

skychaser

Nice! :) Mine are only around 4 feet now but growing like hell. No buds yet. They went in around June 3rd or so. I'd have to look in our log book for the exact date. I just saw the first buds on the Golden Burley and Harrow Velvet growing next to them yesterday. I'm hoping to see some buds on the Silver Rivers by next week. The season is in the second half now and soon it will be a game of beat the frost for me, like it is every year.

BarG

Founding Member
I'm smoking some from midleaf aged a year and is is really smooth. They were the last to harvest last year, They took a long time to bloom.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
The season is in the second half now and soon it will be a game of beat the frost for me, like it is every year.
Sky, Have you ever considered putting shade cloth over them to absorb the light frost and maybe give you a few more days in your season? I could send you some if you'd like to try it.

marksctm

I noticed some small suckers on them towards the tops, is what caught my eye, because they were the only tobacco I have that had no suckers at all until now.

skychaser

Sky, Have you ever considered putting shade cloth over them to absorb the light frost and maybe give you a few more days in your season? I could send you some if you'd like to try it.

The seed pods can take light frosts pretty well if they are nearly mature. Most are in bags which also helps. The leaves are what really gets hurt by frost. The leaves on a few types will take a little frost but most do not. We covered our melons last year to gain a couple extra weeks, but there is so much tobacco it's just not practical to do. We usually get a couple nights down to 30 around the 10th of September and then a couple weeks of Indian summer before a killing frost hits. Last year we had several nights in a row down to 27-28 degrees early in Sept which really hurt a few, but usually it's only the really late maturing varieties that I have sometimes have trouble with.

FmGrowit

Head Honcho
Staff member
When they get done with that TV show, maybe you could see if they'll move the dome over your farm. You'd be able to grow year-round then.

Of course you 'll have to put a door in it :)

BarG

Founding Member
That little envelope of "wild" silver river seeds started a lot of tobacco I bet. I think jitterbugdude got some and grew it and then I got mine from him. I smoked my first of the midleaves from last year and now I wish I had grown more than I did this year.

Knucklehead

Founding Member
That little envelope of "wild" silver river seeds started a lot of tobacco I bet. I think jitterbugdude got some and grew it and then I got mine from him. I smoked my first of the midleaves from last year and now I wish I had grown more than I did this year.

You were kind enough to send me a sample of your Silver River from last year. I've been letting it age and occasionally breaking out to smoke in the pipe. It is awesome by itself in a pipe. Thank you again. You're awesome!! (I'd love to rook you out of some seed)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
LMAO... I haven't heard that term since the 70's!
I get a feeling that come this winter there will be an overabundance of Silver River seed floating around.

Well what year is it now? If you can remember the 70's, you weren't there, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.