Buy Tobacco Leaf Online | Whole Leaf Tobacco

Emergency Volunteer Vehicle Mods

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I just got accepted into the State of Michigan and Ingham County Emergency Volunteer Registry, Having done so I need to deck out my Trail Blazer with lights, anyone installed LED strobes behind the grille or aiming towards the rear of the vehicle before? I don't have huge sums of money but in order to perform, I need people to be able to see the vehicle! I have a high voltage strobe (beacon type) on top as is, and am planning on putting some rear window LEDs (already have from the last vehicle I owned)

The other question is; any suggestions on things I should have in the vehicle besides the following stuff?

• Recovery Strap
  • EMT kit
  • Water (take out when it's freezing)
  • Source of carbs (carbohydrates)
  • Lug wrench
  • Window wrench (the tools that smash windows)
  • seat belt cutter
  • flares (pyro and LED
  • Emergency Triangles
  • Safety vests
  • GPS with WAAS
  • short wave with NOAA
  • back up radio
  • reflective blanket/wool blanket (lime green :cool:)
Thanks for any insight!

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I just got accepted into the State of Michigan and Ingham County Emergency Volunteer Registry, The other question is; any suggestions on things I should have in the vehicle besides the following stuff?

• Water (take out when it's freezing)
  • !
  • Congratulations. If you store your water in flexible liter bottles freezing won't matter except if you need it instantly. I always keep a couple of liters in the car along with my first aid kit and flares. My car is garaged and it usually doesn't freeze. If that is a real problem then keep a couple of spares to throw in the vehicle when you leave on a call
  • J

Knucklehead

Founding Member
I would suggest a rechargeable portable jump box with air compressor to get ladies in distress on the road again.
Chainsaw
Power Inverter to change 12V to 120V ac.
axe
Come-a-long
Good flashlight with spare batteries
Driving lights under rear bumper with switch in case you need to light up area behind you
Depending where you will be going you may need a good hi lift bumper jack so you can put stuff under rear wheels to get unstuck
Snow chains
Be sure to install inline fuse or breaker between your lights and power source {you may want to go to unswitched power source so they work with vehicle switch off}
Basic tool kit {sockets, wrenches, etc.}
Concealed weapon permit and small of back holster
Pepper spray

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Almost forgot - don't forget your 12V cell phone charger and a ladder for cats stuck in trees.

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I would suggest a rechargeable portable jump box with air compressor to get ladies in distress on the road again.
Chainsaw
Power Inverter to change 12V to 120V ac.
axe
Come-a-long
Good flashlight with spare batteries
Driving lights under rear bumper with switch in case you need to light up area behind you
Depending where you will be going you may need a good hi lift bumper jack so you can put stuff under rear wheels to get unstuck
Snow chains
Be sure to install inline fuse or breaker between your lights and power source {you may want to go to unswitched power source so they work with vehicle switch off}
Basic tool kit {sockets, wrenches, etc.}
Concealed weapon permit and small of back holster
Pepper spray
Excellent suggestions all Knucks! Let's see, I have the permit, holster, axe, chainsaw. You think I may be leaning a bit too heavily on one side of this? LOL

I have a spare battery hooked up so it charges itself as needed when the car is running. It is installed with an isolater so if it gets a heavy draw it does not load the regular battery. The area lighting is an old 12 v emergency light (2 4" lights) rigged to run off that battery. It's light weight and can be pointed anywhere you need.

J

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Johnlee {Quote}Excellent suggestions all Knucks! Let's see, I have the permit, holster, axe, chainsaw. You think I may be leaning a bit too heavily on one side of this? LOL{Quote}

Sounds like we have the same trust for our fellow man. Or could be too many horror movies. That's a good idea about the spare battery.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I'm actually in process for getting the permit for a concealed handgun. Good suggestions with the batteries and such! I have a flash light (forgot to mention since it's in the vehicle even without being a volunteer), I would carry a chain saw but this is my every day vehicle, and being at a community campus a few days a week for class with a chainsaw in the car is kinda looked down upon...

johnlee1933

Founding Member
I'm actually in process for getting the permit for a concealed handgun. Good suggestions with the batteries and such! I have a flash light (forgot to mention since it's in the vehicle even without being a volunteer), I would carry a chain saw but this is my every day vehicle, and being at a community campus a few days a week for class with a chainsaw in the car is kinda looked down upon...
Perhaps you could build a nice looking insert for the vehicle that would conceal your emergency supplies. I hope you understand most of that work will be deadly boring. It's the moments of panic overcome you remember.

John

Jitterbugdude

Founding Member
My two cents:
Make sure your Recovery Strap is long enough. I'd make sure you have one at least 30 foot in lenght.
You can usually buy the window wrench and seat belt cutter as a combination tool instead of having two seperate tools.
In my experience you'de be better off getting a half inch breaker bar that is 18-24 inches long. Get a few deep sockets for various size lug nuts. Most lug wrenches will not break a lug nut that's been put on by a tire shop because they usually torgue them down way too tight and the nut is rusted on anyway. A 24 inlch long breaker bar will loosen the most stubborn nut.
Not sure why you want a source of carbs but if you are looking for some type of sustained energy you should be thinking fat and protein. Carbs will spike your blood sugar and the insulin release will let you crash. A good compromise would be peanut butter, it's full of fat, protein and some carbs. Canned nuts would also work well and they would store forever.

Michibacy

Northern tobacco grower
I'm diabetic so I need the spare carbs, I am not certified to administer medicine, but CPR is alright, and giving someone a sugar source if their blood sugar is low (or out of energy) seems to make sense.

Good idea about the breakers, I'll have to stop by the shop and pick some up.

I have a 2''X30' recovery strap and a hit/clevis for the strap (I could just use the hooks or a standard hitch, but the hitch/clevis allows the strap to elasticize and stretch)

Knucklehead

Founding Member
Status
Not open for further replies.